Anastrozole

Options
2»

Comments

• Jemi
    Jemi Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi ladies
    just after some advice on anastrozole, which I'm about to switch over to after over 5 years on tamoxifen. Wondering if there are any differences in side effects between brands? Besides Armidex, there seems to be many generic brands.
    Would be helpful if you could let me know which one you are on (if that's permissible on the forum)? 
    Thanks 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi @Jemi ... I am on Arimidex (21 months now) and am doing much better than on letrozole or exemestane!  I am taking medicinal cannabis oil as well tho, so that may be 'dulling the side effects' ..... 

Here's a 'side effect chart' that covers most of the AI drugs - not everyone gets any of the side effects, most get a couple.

THe 'dots' are the original chart - the 'x' have been added at the request of members

All the best - hoping you  don't get any of them! xxx

• Jemi
    Jemi Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi Arpie thanks for the chart-  it's good to compare. I've had only a few issues on tamoxifen mostly weight gain but worried about switching to anastrozole. So Armidex is the brand you use? My local chemist has a few different generic ones and not sure which to start on. Thanks 
  • arpie
    Options
    Yes, @Jemi - at the top left of the Chart, it shows the most common names of the different AI Tabs and the main generic one.

Print the chart off & mark off any side effects that you notice - to show your Onc when you see them next.  Hopefully there won't be many! 

• LucyBell
    LucyBell Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi this is my first post and have been on Anastrozole for about 7 weeks, the past 2 weeks OMG constipated !!! Anyone else?....seriously more painful than the lymphodema. No matter what I take, eat, etc i've been getting sharp pin like gut pain plus double over half way through my walk....and wind pain too.....I just don't know where it all comes from !!!!!which kinda puts me off going out. 
     See GP today I know she will suggest Lactoluse or similar which is gross....I'm already trying something like that and I eat a great diet of fibre fruit, veg etc very little sugar - unless I melt down and need a chocolate ....not often though.
    Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this....Gross subject - so great to hide behind a screen :) Sorry but if I poop daily I feel good :)

My lumpectomy was in April finished radiation July 7 - Got to say I also have not had a bone density test - like ever !! No one suggested so I will today.
    I also feel a bit....alone now that radiation etc finished....like no breast care nurse call (yes I know they are there if I need and they are so busy) Pre treatment etc they are all over it....after ....nah!  Anyway - will push on - no time to be unwell being a carer of an ancient Mum and a useless unwell husband who is actually no support !!
    Roll on 2024 - I'm going travelling !!!! Had covid then this bloody (sorry) cancer shite rare its head - best wished to everyone...I know I am better off than many and I am grateful. xx
  • arpie
    Options
    Sorry to see you here, @LucyBell .... but welcome to the blog!!   The chart further up indicates that some members have had constipation on Femara/Letrozole and Tamoxifen - so there could be a link?   Have you tried good old Prunes??

Good that you are seeing your GP - and definitely request the bone density test - How long since you've had an uppie (or downie) too?  How old are you?  It is recommended as you get older to have one every 5 years (unless symptoms prompt an earlier one ...)

Yes, once the 'active treatment' is finished, it DOES become a tad quiet as you were on a real rollercoaster ride up til then with appointments here, there & everywhere ...... do you have any hobbies (art/craft) that you can get into - or join a local group & meet new people?   

Where abouts are you (roughly) in Tassie?  We do have some members down there - it'd be neat if you could meet up with anyone nearby for a coffee & a chat ....

Being a carer is tricky too, as you don't always have a lot of time for yourself.   Does your mum get Respite at all, where she can either go 'into care' for a few days to give you a break, or they come & sit with her in your home, if she is on a care plan, they pay for it? (Also - Think about Joining our private 'carers' group - where we can help point you to a lot of services that may be available to you!)  Are you an official carer?  With the Carer's payment & usually they pay the rego of your car too & other small benefits?

If you are travelling next year .... put up your 'rough itinerary' and you could meet up with members all round the place!!! ;) 

take care, chat soon xx

• LucyBell
    Options
    Hi, Good old prunes just give me cramp and wind! Using Ozmolax atm GP says thats ok if I need long term or until am sorted. I've also made seed bread and fermented food....I'll get it sorted - was just curious as it seemed to happen just after a few weeks of the medication.
    Yes only had Gast/colon a few years ago I'm 62
    I'm North - am ok with own company - I cook and I grow vegetables am not really into coffee and chat. Mum doesn't go into care but I have community care pop in twice a week now and a sibling who comes every couple months, as I also care for partner....
    Will travel overseas I hope.
    "Neat" I think perhaps you have an NZ connection :) 

Thanks for follow up 
  • Susbry
    Susbry Member Posts: 1
    Options
    @LucyBell
    Hi Lucy, 
    This is my first post too 😁

I have been on Anastrozole since January 2023. 
    2 surgeries, chemotherapy then radiotherapy treatments. My last treatment was 05 August 2023 - it feels like a lifetime ago now. 

I have had quite a few of the side effects -  nose bleeds (like a damn tap, some short some long time running), dizziness, fatigue, chronic headaches (days at a time), lack of concentration, fuzzy memory, dry itchy skin and don’t get me started on the hot flushes at the drop of a hat but constipation isn’t one of them. 😱

I had a bone density scan before I started on Anastrozole and it was a really good score apparently so that’s one plus for me. 😁

I agree with you about feeling like you have been dropped like a hot cake after the last radiotherapy treatment, I felt so lost and lonely after my last treatment. I don’t want to call the BC nurse either as they are a precious commodity. 

It’s just my daughter and myself and we both work full time and we have no family support. 

I counteract my fuzzy memory by carrying a notepad with me and writing everything down. 

I love reading so I visit op shops on the weekends and check out what books that they have on offer. Mind you concentrating on the words are a little hard at the moment so I am collecting a good library full 📚. 

I know it will get better, hang in there 🙃
  • LucyBell
    Options
    Goodness - I hope it gets better for you - I feel I have nothing like those side affects, I take it at night hoping if any I sleep through....my BP did shoot up before radiation which I finished July 7....fortunate not to have chemo.....my lump was in duct and had escaped and was in sentinel node, soooo they took 18!!
    Just before my surgery partner gave me covid so had it put off for a few more weeks...

I am getting sharp pin prick pain in stomach which I have mentioned to GP twice...bone density test organised, not sure why it wasn't already offered....really have to keep on top of them don't we.  I am sure I would have been diagnosed earlier but when I went for breast screen I was told it hadn't been 12 months ---- well I'd had a private ultrasound I know 
    but can't recall being squashed....anyway they put me off for 12 months ......

What do they say about your nose bleeds????? That doesn't sound right ....oh gosh you have loads of side effects....I think I'll stick to being clogged up ...... 

• arpie
    Options
    ggrrrr that is shocking, that they didn't test you when you thought something was wrong @LucyBell!!  We know our bodies better than THEM!    re your tummy - request a CT or MRI scan for peace of mind.  What sort of BC were you diagnosed with?  Lobular, unfortunately, can present in the tummy too .... so worth being proactive with requesting scans for that reason.  Matter of fact - ANYTHING 'new' that happens for longer than a few weeks, really needs to be notified to your team.

LOL you have a good 'eye' or is it 'ear'?  I lived in NZ for 15 years ..... I was always ribbed "Forget the Mozzies, Squash the Aussies!"   Mind you, when I went over Aussie was winning 'everything' and the standing joke was 'Why do Kiwis drink out of Saucers?'  Answer: 'Cos Australia has all the cups'!!!   And 'How do you get into a small company in NZ?' ..... Answer:  "Buy a big one!"  ;)   I hope you aren't a kiwi!!!  I loved my time there & even learned to fly fish!  :) 

@Susbry - welcome also to the blog - you've been thru the mill too .... I didn't do chemo, but definitely have the fuzzy brain .... The itchy skin, try rubbing some CORNFLOUR on it .... it really helped with my hubby when his chemo gave him the itches.  :(  I've been on Anastrozole for 4 years, with less side effects than on Letrozole and Exemestane!  But everyone is different - so chat with your Onc to see if one of the other AIs might suit you better.   I LOVE OP SHOPS TOO!!!!!  I can't help myself!  I've found some wonderful treasures & buy most of my clothes too (I am not a dolly bird dresser upperer!)  I am very practical & can't justify massive prices for clothes!  Do you have a tablet?  I can put you onto a site where you can download thousands of books & magazines ..... but I must admit, I DO prefer reading a proper book, before going to sleep! ;) 

OMG .... I bawled like a baby on my last radiation treatment - like you, it felt like I was being 'abandoned' - so I totally understand where you are coming from. xx   If you are feeling 'up to it' - just get out there, doing what you love, when you can ..... sometimes you have to 'fake it til you make it' .... but peace & contentment WILL COME!  xx

For both of you ..... check out this thread - there is a a heap of info on the 'blog' (some of it is 'past' as you've already had your surgeries) .... but you can show off your furkids, your garden, art & crafts, even some laughs on the 'Friday funnies' thread.  God knows, we need a laugh!  There's also some tick sheets down the bottom, for 'self assessing' your stress & how you are handling your treatment ..... print them off & fill them in & take them with you to your appointments!   It is easier sometimes to give them a printed page, than actually talk about it!!  xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care & all the best 
  • LucyBell
    Options
    @arpie I lived with kiwis plus i paddled outriggers, my son trained in NZ

My pathology - 22mm (I was initially told 8mm) grade 2 invasive some DCIS but not extensive. Surgical margins were clear but was in sentinel node, other nodes were clear. Hormone receptor positive No HER2 tumour gene.
    Bone density set for Oct 31 as they had a cancellation.
    Today was quite a good day - as Ozmolax kicked in !!! :)

• Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    Options
    @arpie what’s the site for downloading books? I have a kindle if that makes a difference. Please and thank you 😊 I struggle reading proper books these days, whether it’s that I need new glasses or brain fog from Anastrozole I don’t know 🤷‍♀️
  • arpie
    Options
    Here you go @Jwrenn ... it is brilliant.  You can search by the author's name, the book title or 'genre' and it does some Aussie magazines too .....

There are HEAPS of novels/autobiographies, cooking books, art & craft books - on pretty well ANY topic you can think of, they usually have 'something' on it!!  Enjoy going thru it - LOTS of rabbit holes you can go down, too!  ;) 

https://oceanofpdf.com/