Waiting for Surgery

Options
Kelly1966
Kelly1966 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi I been diagnosed with a 3.5cm invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3 a month and a half ago.
I had a biopsy, as well as a ct scan which confirmed it hadn't spread beyond the breast.
I was sent to our local hospital for a pre-operation clinic and have been informed that I need
to go to a major NSW  hospital, as I will need intensive care post op due to my other ongoing medical
issues. I keep asking the Surgeons receptionist what arrangements have been put into place for this to
happen, to be advised that he is aware of the situation and will be in contact once arrangement have been done.
How long should I wait for surgery?

Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Hi Kelly,  is there a Breast care nurse at your local hospital that could help you with this? Has anyone given you any information regarding what specific hospital you will be sent to, so you could perhaps contact them to see if they've received paperwork? There are people on here who have waited quite some time for surgery, for one reason or another, but you want to know that something is happening.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. 

Here's a few handy links that @SoldierCrab has put together to help with navigating this site, and finding additional information

Below are a couple of links to help you find your way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community formerly the what and how thread.
    Breast Care Nurses
    My Journey Kits and other resources. 
    BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258
    If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from 9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

Hope you find this helpful
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SO Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, @Kelly1966  - I hope you can get a better idea of your surgery plan VERY soon.

As @Irb_03 has mentioned  BCNA has a wonderful kit available to you, including a diary & other booklets that help you explain your situation to your family & friends ... they are tremendous

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

The wait is ALWAYS horrible - what town/area are you?  Do you have easy access to major city hospitals in NSW?  If travelling from out of town, you will be able to claim 'petrol money' if living 100k+ from your treatment.
    http://www.enable.health.nsw.gov.au/for_individuals/applying-for-travel-assistance

Port Macquarie has a VERY reputable Cancer clinic with accommodation attached for family as well ..... I stayed there post op for my radiation for the 4 weeks at VERY reasonable cost!  
    http://www.rotarylodge.com.au

All the best for your ongoing treatment .... if you have ANY questions - just put them here - and you'll get top info from those who've been there before  xx

• Kelly1966
    Kelly1966 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I had a call from Surgeon here this afternoon,
    and they are sending me to John Hunter in Newcastle to see a surgeon
    on the 24th July and will be scheduled to and receive the operation there.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    I'm glad you have a bit more of a plan to go on with. This time of waiting surely is hard. Hopefully any other treatment can be done locally for you