3 types of cancer, how do I not live in fear?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Delos I think it’s good to give the counselling a try. @kmakm and I have made appointments to go see someone too. I’m not one that loves to talk about my feelings but I’m going to give it a go. I did it several years ago after my mother died and I had a little nervous breakdown about a year later - I found it to be very helpful. Best of luck xoxo
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Welcome Delos ! You are a remarkable survivor ..bigg huggs my dear..yes you understand and continue to experience the effects of treatments therapies  that most of us have only just started .....there are many kind hearts here 
    Continue to post
    Bright in hope
  • Delos
    Delos Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you all. 
    Feeling a lot calmer now than I was before I connected with you all. 
    My brain was very foggy and my energy levels were very low. 
    I have started exercising again and have been doing a lot of crosswords and word puzzles,  this has definitely helped me. I am thinking clearer and feel better all round.  Start the councilling next month too.  I hope you are all feeling OK today,  sending you all some positive thoughts and strength.  (and my thanks) 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I understand a little @Delos as I am reimission from two cancers but they are unrelated - cervical cancer as well as breast cancer.

I has a Lletz procedure 5 years ago for cervical cancer but have a persistent hpv infection so am subject to annual monitoring. I have a wonderful gynae - a very down to earth lady who saw me thru a twin pregnancy at 47.Am anxious every year when my next colposcopy is due plus am  worried it won’t be long before my gynae retires.

I also had lobular breast cancer 2/17.I had a lumpectomy/reexcision followed by radiation and now hormone therapy.My next check is soon and yes will be anxious waiting for results.

I have also had major eye surgery for glaucoma this year which was worrying as I lost sight in one eye for a while.And because of impending hormone therapy and Prolia  elected to have dental implants beforehand  four weeks after radiation ended.

Yes. I have been low occasionally esp last year but seem to be able to pick myself up - occasionally with help.The Cancer Council have a Cancer Connect service which saved my life at a low point linking you by phone with someone who has undergone similar cancer.I found this blog and have found great support and advice.Other useful things were a Encore a free hydrotherapy program for breast cancer people and joining temporarily a local breast cancer support group.

I also exercise a bit which amongst other things helps how I feel .I walk every day for an hour with earplugs attached to my phone listening to music .Also I joined a gentle exercise class which does light weights twice per week - it also gets me out of the house enjoying the company of others.

For me talking to others and seeing others in my community who I know are undergoing cancer treatment but are living their lives - out shopping , having coffee/lunch etc - has been the turning point for me.At one point like you I felt I had no life but now I do not believe so.

Hope this helps a little XO

• Delos
    Options
    Went to the counceller, who was supposed to be an expert on long term affects and multiple cancer survivors, she was not an expert on these things. She had worked with cancer patients for a few years but was not especially knowledgable with multiple cancers. Was very disappointed. But i started a tafe course instead (as months of crosswords seems to have had a clearing affect on my mind).
    Am striving forwatd again.
    Love to you all XxX 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    How annoying @Delos. False advertising, grrr.

Fantastic news about the TAFE course. What are you studying?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I'm of the view unless they have experienced it they just don't get it!  I was asked yesterday if I was in remission - my thought was are we ever in remission whilst we are on treatment for 10 years!  
    They can give you coping mechanisms which is wonderful, however, it is the nattering with those that are in it or been there that makes all the difference!
    Disappointing that the reason you went to the counsellor did not meet expectations!
    Best wishes with your TAFE course
    Take care
  • Delos
    Options
    Diversional therapy CERT IV...
    figure being on the receiving end of all this may help me find a rewarding career ! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    How interesting @Delos! I hope you love it. K xox
  • Delos
    Options
    Agreed iserbrown
    When you are on meds for prevention, it does not feel like remission at all.
    I was told i would be on Tamoxifen (or similar)forever as i am so high risk of recurrance, (my BC and Padgets came from radiation, not genetics).
    As my gums and jaw  have aged to the point of my healthy teeth falling out decades too early, and my thyroid function fluctuates due to the radiation damage, i will live the rest of my life waiting for the boot to fall. It never really goes away.
    Most days i am ok, its not the only thing i think of and it does not stop me living my life, its just that when the doctors are over cautious it is hard to not panic instantly.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    Do what is best for YOU, @Delos. xx

If they haven't been 'through it' themselves, they have no idea how a simple suggestion for a biopsy or further test may affect us - automatically, we are assuming 'the worst' ...... when hopefully, it is for the best!

take care, all the best for 2019 xx