how long til I can drive & function properly after expander to implant exchange

Options
beccabecca
beccabecca Member Posts: 71
Hi, sorry to post this question, but my surgeon said after 1 week I was fine to do anything. It's been 3 weeks & I tried a simple drive 2day not extending arms & feeding steering wheel thru my hands rather than turning properly, seemed to aggravate my chest pain. My surgeon cldn't explain my chest pain on friday, didn't even say 'it's normal'. I seem to be hitting walls trying to get answers. Other tasks like opening jars, bending certain ways also hurt thru chest region. Wondering how long it took others to get over reconstruction surgery?  Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Bec, are you seeing a physio? I didn't enjoy expanders, but the implant change over was not as painful and I was driving and doing most things quite quickly.
    I think you might need to push a bit harder to get this investigated, there are so many variables and everyone's body responds differently. Weeks of pain that restricts your life is a miserable experience, physio may help loosen your muscles a bit. Expander to implant may be viewed as the 'simpler' form of reconstruction, but it is still a significant operation. Mxx
  • beccabecca
    Options
    Thanks @Zoffiel
    I wasn't told to see a physio or anything. Never saw a breast care nurse, or anyone else at the private hospital & surgeon never mentioned that either,  so thanks.
    Never even saw a breast care nurse the 10 days I was in the same private hosp for mastectomy.
    Thanks again 
  • Gonski
    Gonski Member Posts: 8
    Options
    @beccabecca I think putting some heat on your surgeon might b a good option. It's terrible to hear you've had no BCN to bounce questions off. They are so important and know so much about our all different journeys.
    You could call the hotline and chat w  a BCN.. good luck sista

• beccabecca
    Options
    Thanks, seems like my surgeon isn't really interested, his attitude since this last surgery has been very disappointing  :/ 
    Not having much luck with breast care nurses either