Herbs

Options

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Gee willikers just read online both your hormone therapy drugs elevate blood pressure and going to check the one I take Letrozole 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,506
    Options
    @Romla it's crazy! as the Oncologist didnt want to know about the medication for lowering cholesterol and fobbed it back to my GP. My GP though doesnt know the history of medications etc and treatment uuugh so frustrating, so Ive held off going on any meds at this point. Ive increased my exercise hoping its made a difference, but the BP is the same, I'll know more later today. Grrrr!!!! LOL I'm pretty good with memory and communication currently, I did go through chemo brain but that righted itself thank goodness. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Crumbs this is infuriating- your onc knows higher cholesterol is a side effect so guess he just wants to treat you for breast cancer so handballs you to the gp for cholesterol lowering medication still bloody not good enough with all the other pieces to the the puzzle not within gp’s grasp.Think it means he doesn’t want you off hormone therapy and wants someone else to manage side effects.I know dr google is not ideal but we may need to be more proactive with our healthcare and use credible medical online resources to help ourselves.I started reading about the DASH diet from the Mayo clinic which is supposed to lower blood pressure.Maybe there a little dietary mofications as well as exercise that might help.eg I know rolled oats lowers cholesterol and blood pressure.Its simplistic I know but little things may help as an adjunct to medication. My blood pressure’s rising just with the lack of help you have received. One thing I did read re hypertension is that you are on the right track with magnesium plus they recommend Calcium and Potassium too.Oh Mel I don’t know how to help you 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Romla and @Joannie so frustrating! My Onc yes wants me on the AI and doesnt want to manage anything else, which is typical. I took caltrate for a few months post chemo but that's all. Just Vit D and magnesium is all I take and take both in the morning. Yes I have switched to oats too in the morning, so trying different things, I so want to manage this myself, a little stress could be the culprit too, I love my job but am a little stressed. All I can think is all these problems have arisen from the AI including weight OMG!!! all the changes in the world wont shift it LOL. 

Chemo caused my osteoporosis yippee!!! and have been on prolia injections for 18 months, but things are looking much improved :) so it would seem correct me if I'm wrong...that all problems we all suffer are purely from treatments NOT BC...interesting isn't it? uuugh.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Joannie So is Krill Oil a vitamin or a mineral?!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • kmakm
    Options
    @melclarity @Romla The shirking of responsibility shits me no end. I made sure to specifically address this when I last saw my oncologist. Do I manage my side effects with you or the GP.? She replied "Me". She was quite emphatic with that answer too which I found heartening.
  • melclarity
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @kmakm yes its the Oncologists responsibility but moreso for side effects of the AI or treatment. This is what threw me when I was fobbed off and told to deal with the GP, when the GP asked specifically to contact the Oncologist and ask him what does he want to do? ummm zero apparently. You need to stay on the AI so manage the rest however basically. It did upset me at the time, but now I just want to plod my path and make it to yearly visits!!! thats my aim lol. 

Aaaah but here's the thing, the Oncologists won't agree that cholesterol, high BP or anything else are attributed to he AI's 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @melclarity my oncologist actually told me the other day that Letrozole, as one of my options, could cause high cholesterol and osteoporosis and apparently that and tamoxifen can lead you to retain fluid with makes you feel like you have put a weight (a joy I hope I don't have as I have to get rid of about 7kg of chemo/dex bloating)
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel The list of Letrozole side effects is as long as your arm. They include weight gain, weight loss, anorexia, appetite increase, taste disturbance, indigestion, and, one of my favourites, "general swelling"! As with everything else, you don't get all of them, it's pot luck. What's more, it's a banned substance for athletes because apparently it aids muscle building!  #FFS
  • melclarity
    Options
    Well good news LOL, my cholesterol has come down since January from 6.2 to 5, it's still not down enough but its headed in the right direction. I changed up my diet a little and Ive been riding my exercise bike 3-4 times a week after all the walking I do in my job. Also my BP is borderline so we shall keep an eye PHEW!!!! BUT.....my sugar is borderline now? WTF??? haha!!! just gets better,oh well...I think it will all be AOK! 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    General swelling......seriously??  I have heard of muscle builder taking Tamoxifen as well, I came across a forum while googling. These guys were under the impression it created more testosterone.   :D:D