Thoughts on flu vaccine.

Options
2»

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    Real flu is horrible - it's not a bad cold. I didn't have flu vaccinations until comparatively recently. I am "at risk" through age and cancer treatment. I have had no reactions at all to shots for four years. And no flu. I travelled overseas shortly after shots for two years, also with no ill effects. I was strongly advised to have shots before travel.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I caught the flu in Melbourne at a Uni conference 40 years ago and have never forgotten how ill I was. When work started offering flu injections as part of OH&S I jumped at it and have had them for many years without ill effects beyond an occasional warm arm at the injection site. My husband also has had flu injections for years at work and now in retirement at home .

My children have have been having them too as they are attending high school and many bugs circulate in that environment. In addition two of my kids have had asthma .We thought it wise for our health as ageing parents too that they be inoculated especially so since my cancer diagnosis .None have had side effects beyond what I described.

My only negative is one year ( last ?) my sons both got flu despite being inoculated as the strain circulating was not in the vaccine.Luckily they are very fit and healthy but both were laid low for a week.

I would never travel o/s without a flu injection nor even a lengthy flight domestically in flu season.It seems almost inevitable to pick up a cold on a flight but the flu I’d prefer to avoid.

It’s not an ironclad guarantee but it provides protection against major strains circulating and imo is very worthwhile.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I've had several over the years and never had a problem other than being a little sore on the arm for a day. I've had 'flu twice as an adult. Ghastly.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Yep, I've had flu twice prior to being a regular at the vaccine desk.  Never want to repeat that as I wished I was dead.  I've never had a problem with the vaccine except for a slightly sore arm.  I had mine done a couple of months ago - free due to the bc.  I've felt anxious though as I have not had the kids done this year - it slipped through the cracks.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    I have it every year and have never had a problem with it.
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    I have one every year as I'm asthmatic and don't want to catch anything that might end up on my chest. My oncologist was fine with me having one before chemo started but said it may not be as effective as the antibodies don't kick in as well while you're on chemo.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    I have begun having the flu vaccine, never had a reaction apart from a sore arm at the jab site. Given that I am an asthmatic my gp (lovely girl young enough to be my granddaughter!) reccommended the pneuomovax.  For once I took her advice.

• Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    Options
    They said 'you'll need surgery', I screamed YES. You'll need chemo, YES, You'll need radiotherapy, I screamed YES. You should have the flu vac. So why am I hiding in the corner like a scary cat.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Well that's a good question @Blondy. *puts on psychologist hat* Why do you think that is?!
  • Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    Options
    kmakm. I can't answer because I am laughing too much at your answer.