Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Ibrance and PBS

slyon
slyon Member Posts: 3
edited May 2018 in Metastatic breast cancer
Hi everyone from a lovely winter day of 30 degrees in Alice Springs. Don't worry, it will get down to one degree by the end of the week,
 I am trying to find out what the very latest is on Ibrance (and related drugs), gaining PBS in Australia. I read recently it was approved for subsidy for some people which is great news, but I didn't fit that category. I have been on letrazole for 2 years for metastic breast cancer, and it is no longer working.
I wonder what chance there will be for people like me to receive this drug at some stage without paying $5000 a month. I have 2 more options for hormone treatment before chemotherapy at this stage.

cheers, Rubi

Comments

• brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi Slyon ..yes many of us with mbs do not meet the sriict guidelines which differs and  unlike those in the US where multiple therapescan be given after years of diagnosis.  
    Hopefully your onc is able to start you on a new regime that is not too costly check out breast cancer .org the US site for  informative posts on new cdk  drugs
    All thebest
    Bright in hope
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @slyon
    I have checked with our policy team at BCNA  regarding lbrance (palbociclib).  It would be advisable to speak with your medical oncologist as he/she could contact Pfizer directly to see if you may be able to access the drugs on compassionate grounds.  Your medical oncologist may be able to let you know if there are any clinical trials that you may be able to access.  BCNA are continuing to advocate for the drugs to be listed on the PBS for later line treatment.  Dont hesitate to call our helpline on 1800 500 258 if you have any further questions or queries or would like to speak with a cancer nurse.