enjoying bird watching

Options

Comments

• Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    That's exactly it @Summerhill38 I would love to be back on acreage but need to be closer to town.  I am cutting down some trees in my front garden soon (they're dying) so might toss some grevilleas in.  
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Dear @kmakm, @poodlejules and all bird watchers, Thanks for the picture of the Gang Gang, and discussion  about listening to bird calls - love it!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    My text notification sound is a kookaburra (the magpie sound is too quiet).  It usually gets a smile when it goes off.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @iserbrown Such a bright chest!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Gorgeous!  Considering it was a photo taken on my phone through the window as I figured if I attempted to go outside he would fly off.  Loved his bath!  It was 4 minutes between the first photo and this one.
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Fantastic photo @iserbrown. Your place looks like a place of peace. Nature is a joy to watch.  Keep some photos coming for those of us who live in the cities. Anne
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Crows, magpies, butcher birds, noisy minors, lorries, native honey eaters, the occasional Bush Turkey, blue tongue lizards and skinks. Not bad for living in suburbia and so close to the city. I have a big garden with lots of natives that attract all sorts. Even the occasional pheasant which are beautiful. I love wildlife and think Australia has the most beautiful of any other country.
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi everyone I love to be in the moment with the bush and creek visita from the deck..the noise from the bird calls is always loud we have so many birds that visit the most regular are bowerbirds the female loves the bird bath and the blue black male is aways perched nearby on guard...No feeders needed..Today a new call and much rustling in shrubs a new visitor a flycatcher lots of darting so unable to photo..
    Cheers Bright 
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    Hello @jennyss
    We live on 5 acres ( our little bit of selfishness!) in the Kimberley. I will say that 5 acres was very romantic at 45 years of age but it is damn hard work at 65! However the decision to downsize is very difficult - one that we are still uncomfortable with.  

Our garden is very tropical with lots of birds. One of my morning pleasures is to sit on my verandah with my first coffee of the day and watch the sun rise. I am seranaded with birdsong.

We are visited by butcher birds, peewees (mudlarks), bower birds, babblers (cwa birds!!), leathernecks (friar birds), double bar finches, honey eaters, oriels, rainbow bee eaters, tawny frog mouths (they roost in our shed during the day), whistling kites, blue wing kookaburras, red wing parrots, rainbow lorrikeets, little corellas, straw neck ibis ( bin chickens), and sacred kingfishers. Jabirus and brolgas fly over and sometimes land. We also have singing thrushes which nest in the shed unconcerned by the tawny frog mouths. To date the singing thrushes have successfully raised 4 lots of bubbies. I am sure that I have missed many. The birds are attracted by the many water points around the garden and are very possessive about "their" water bowl. 

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Sounds gorgeous, @AnnieC We're on 56 acres in the Adelaide Hills (mostly bushland) and border a natural bush reserve and I struggle to remember all of the birds we see around the place (but then I struggle to remember my own name some days).  I love listening to the magpies and kookaburras first thing in the morning.  We have Adelaide Rosellas, Lorikeets, Red-browed Finches, Golden Whistlers (not often as very endangered), Eastern Spinebills, Yellow-Tailed Cockatoos as well as a lot of other cockatoos and galahs, Superb Blue Wrens, Scarlet Robins and others I've no doubt forgotten, along with a small mob of emus that hang around the place.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Dear @LMK74, @AnnieC and @sister,
    Thank you for your wonderful bird lists. I am just starting my day with a cup of coffee and enjoying imagining those birds - such a variety! Best wishes to all.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Gorgeous pics @Merv