Breast density - we want your input

Options

Comments

• viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    I was told by my GP I had dense breasts during a breast examination.  Breast Screen WA confirmed this when I had my first mammogram but I wasn't offered an ultrasound.  For my second mammogram I had done some research into 3D mammograms being the 'best' thing out, so I requested one.  The cost was over $300 but I fit the age criteria, was on a concession card, and had a 'family history' so the procedure was free.  Interestingly, it was much less invasive than a mammogram and showed a tiny spec in my right breast under ultrasound. The Dr came and had a look and said she was amazed the technician could see it but she said it was likely to be a tiny cyst.  For my third mammogram I suddenly didn't fit the criteria for the 3D ultrasound! I had a mammogram and at the GP's request an ultrasound due to dense breast tissue.  The results showed a 2cm tumour in the right breast, where the speck had been. I don't know if the speck was my tumour or not.  Maybe with further tests if it had been cancer I could have had early treatment and be at Stage 1, not 2.  Anyway, I found a lot of women I spoke to were not aware of the 3D mammogram being available.  I asked the GP why and he said it was expensive and everyone would want one! We have limited machines in WA.  I am considering paying for my 4th mammogram (3D) - it's an amazing machine.  I don't know if I will 'be allowed' to do this - will ask my surgeon when the time comes.  I was just surprised that I found out about 3D mammograms in a magazine - not at the GP's or at BreastScreen WA.  I'd like more info from the horse's mouth in future to make better decisions.  (Whilst on the subject of detecting cancer - I'd be interested to know how many women have been offered a 'thin prep' pap smear rather than the regular?  It costs around $25 and is said to be more reliable.  Who knows? But I read about it in a magazine, lol, and have been doing it ever since.  The GP wanted to know why and I said I heard it was better. He said hmmmm and did it.)  
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    @KatyJoy yours is an interesting story! I wonder if the MRI is the same as the 3D mammogram.  I also wondered at how a speck of 'nothing' could turn into 2cm in a year. I am so glad you had that MRI! xxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Options
    @viking1I guess we will never know hey! But no, mri is magnetic resonance imaging, mammograms are based on X-ray, which is a type of radiation imaging, it’s different I think
  • kmakm
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think I read somewhere here that WA was the only state that reported breast density as a matter of course after a mammogram. Could it be a contributing factor to the fact that WA has:

"...one of the best survival rates for breast cancer in the world"?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/western-australia/9-in-every-10-wa-women-surviving-breast-cancer-report-20180308-h0x768.html
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    No one has ever mentioned breast density to me about my AA cup breasts. Can this be identified without any screening tests?
    It took exactly 2 years for my 2 fibroadenomas to go from 24mm to 10 cms of invasive ductal carcinomas. I had always been told there was no connection between the two...
    I would be happy to participate but doubt that I have dense breasts...
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    @kmakm I'm moving to WA after reading that story! How amazing. 
    My brother lives in Perth...
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I always have so many questions when I read these articles, such as what are the demographic/treatment/disease details behind the survival rates, arecWA participating in more trials than other states and if so, why? Etc, etc...
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Sister Maybe you should consider journalism for your next career!
  • Essme
    Essme Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I have had dense and lumpy breasts all my life, was not aware before I was more at risk. My cancer could not be found during mamogram only found with ultrasound, I also couldn't feel it. I only found out because my doctor insisted I have my check up as it was overdue, she has saved my life as they got it early and it was aggressive stage 3 triple neg.

• JuMuKu
    JuMuKu Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I'd love to be involved. I've emailed Danielle to say the same.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    My breast surgeon got a new mammogram machine last year which provides far greater clarity by effectively providing images in slices across the breast - I assume that's the 3D version. I always felt more reassured by an ultrasound, but my remaining breast is apparently now so transparent that an ultrasound is unnecessary! One of the few benefits of ageing apparently.......
  • Heles
    Heles Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I too was told I had dense breasts and needed a mammogram each year and a mammogram plus ultrasound every second year. To my disguist, none of these picked up my lobular cancer(stage 2).It was only at surgery that it was measured at 12.7 cms.  This is a story of discussion  on ACA that will be aired this week. My story should invoke serious discussions. I was not offered other breast screening methods for dense breasts. This would definitely save more lives.
  • Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and to those of you who have emailed the policy team directly. 
    Danielle will contact those of you who have emailed her on Monday when she is back from leave. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @heles when is the ACA on? I don't normally watch at TV at that time so am likely to miss it if I don't make an effort.