Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Wanted someone who cares!

Options
2»

Comments

• Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Annski you get me  :)
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Sam09 - lots of good thoughts and suggestions have been coming your way.  Take care

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there @Sam09. BC has a huge range of different emotions for everyone involved. I think your family are taking you for granted and you should tell your daughter especially how cancelling your days out hurts you so much you are just trying to make every day count like we all do no matter what stage our cancer is and you want to take advantage of the fact that you don’t look or feel sick as such. I think you need to be a bit more selfish and start to do things that make you happy. Perhaps there is a hobby for example you can take up that gets you out of the house and where you can make new friends ?  Where abouts do you live love ? Is there a BC support group you can join or interact with ? I help with the fundraising with my local one and it’s great for me for example. I also think perhaps some counselling might help too. It will give you the tools to manage your emotions better and how to talk to your family  when they are being inconsiderate and selfish and how better to deal with their “brushing you and how you’re feeling” under the carpet. If you happen to be in brisbane north side let me know. Biggest hug. Margie xx
  • goingdancing
    goingdancing Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Sam09 Your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm just beginning my BC journey so you are in a different place to me. I think a BC support group is a good idea - people who are or who have walked in your shoes. I think learning to be selfish is difficult for those who've always been the supporter of others. It's hard to break old habits both for the supporter and for the supported. A step away from the supporter role could be a good thing. Someone suggested you treating yourself by going away for a break. You don't have to go far away. Just a place where you would like to be, where you can be in a space, where you can relax, spoil yourself and love yourself.  It may assist in resetting roles and would also give you the time for a "love me myself" opportunity (stroke yourself lovingly) and perhaps a chance for a healing cry. But I'm not a counsellor, just someone who had to try to learn the "allow some selfish" lesson at age 62!! I had been the rock for everyone and the rock was fracturing. I went to Italy and Switzerland! But now anywhere near ocean or fresh water is good enough. Big hug from me. Catch the hug and hug yourself.  xxoo