Feelings...nothing more than Feelings...

Eastmum
Eastmum Member Posts: 495
edited March 2018 in General discussion
Hi everyone - this might sound like a really weird question - I'm getting ready for my double mastectomy and I suddenly started to wonder about 'feelings' and 'sensations' and realised I have no idea what it will be like! Will my chest be completely numb? I'm getting a skin sparing DMX and going into air expanders - but will I still have some feeling on the skin that's left on my chest? Or does all the sensation disappear with the breast tissue? 

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I had very little sensation in my skin, but over the years it has come back in a few spots. Weird, really. 

I occasionally get an itchy feeling in one of my 'foobs' which defines all my efforts to ease it. I can't tell if the source is on or under my skin. I'd best describe the sensation as being similar to trying to scratch your foot while you have a shoe on, you can feel the pressure but not the fine sensation. One nipple still has some sensation, the other one, no.
  • Eastmum
    Thanks @Zoffiel - that sounds so strange! Lol. Funny how it never occurred to me to ask my surgical onco about this. Much better to hear it from the front line though! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I had reconsyruction also and I have light skin touch sensation. If i cuddle my husband naked I feel his  chest hair and it almost feels like my old boobs. I have some areas that are numb but feel irritated if rubbed  to long. The outer area feels just like it used it. I'm  numb in my sentinal node armpit and some spots on that arm. 
  • Eastmum
    Thank you @primek - I’m so curious what it will be like! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I did keep quite a bit of skin so it may be different with just mastectomy. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I asked my breast surgeon about this the other day. He said nerves can grow back very slowly and some women regain some sensation at the sides over the years. But not everyone. He said your skin has some nerve endings but the sensation isn't strong. When's your surgery? I'm still waiting for my date...
  • Eastmum
    Hi @kmakm - that’s so interesting. I guess I never really thought about it - I just assumed that the sensations are felt through your skin and that if you still have skin, you still have sensation. Guess not! I’m having my surgery 7 April. Dmx to air expanders. 
  • kmakm
    Your main nerves run through your breast tissues so when that goes, so does the feeling. That's how the PS explained it to me. 7th April is soon! Excited? Scared? Nervous? All of the above?!
  • Eastmum
    edited March 2018
    Actually pragmatic. To be honest I’m more terrified about general anaesthetic than the actual operation! Just need someone to reassure me that I’ll wake up! Also haven’t told a lot of people - including my elderly dad and my mother-in-law who’s also had BC - and I know they’ll be upset - waiting till a few days before - so that’s probably weighing more on my mind than anything else. I found this quote that really sums me up :) just not sure about the cigar! LOL
  • Eastmum
    edited March 2018

• kmakm
    I'd had the biopsy, diagnosis, wide local excision and the re-excision a week later before I told anyone other than the people under my roof. My husband told my parents and my sister. I couldn't do it. No friends other than two knew until two weeks after that (after Christmas). I get you.

Love the dichotomy of your pragmatism & general anaesthesia fear! So human. Hugs. K xox
  • Eastmum
    Thanks @kmakm - I just read your bio. Wow - you’re totally a warrior. Wishing you all the best for when you have your surgery xx
  • sickgirl
    sickgirl Member Posts: 44
    Had my surgery in may last year double mastectomy and auxiliary clearance still to decide on recon if will bother. My chest and underarm were completely numb! Think may have small feeling back in some areas. In saying that I had 5 weeks of radiation across the side where lump was found and under arm and the last week and week following I certainly felt the burn! Oh my god the pain was horrendous!! I can relate to the annoying itch that you can’t seem to get any relief from scratching
  • kmakm
    Thank you @Eastmum, that's kind of you to say. K xoz
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Nerves and feeling are weird things.  Sensation is actually interpreted by the brain so messages can get really scrambled.  (My teenage son doesn't get brain freeze - he feels it under his arm.  We never believed him until we all googled it and it can happen)