Such a scary learning curve

Options

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi all,

i am just starting to through this process. 3 years ago I found a lump and went for an ultrasound, they found 4 and said they were just fibroadenomas so no further action required. Fast forward 3 years and these lumps had grown and they found a new one so recommended just testing 2 of them. Went and saw a surgeon and he said to just remove them all and that would be it, might have to have some HRT therapy and stop taking the pill. Got the results and the pathologists thought was mucinous carcinoma but had to confer and then came back with papillary carcinoma. Had to have breast sparing surgery and it is now invasive ductal carcinoma and there are areas of DCIS in there too and it is hormone receptor positive which I believe is a very good thing. End result is today is a right sided mastectomy with lymph node removal. The surgeon has told me most likely HRT and radiation afterwards. I’m so scared when the results come it is going to be worse than expected since that is what has been happening since the start and I’m worried about getting lumphoedema. I’m also so angry that this was most likely cancer 3 years ago and I was told there was no need to do anything about it. This is all so scary and new and just trying to work out what everything means (I work in the veterinary industry but trying to figure out the pathology report was a mission). Luckily I have a very supportive husband and great friends and I am trying to be so positive but you cant help thinking worst case scenario every now and then.  Sorry about the lengthy rant - thanks for reading
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    I am pretty scared right now and can’t stop crying
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi@Kiwi Angel
    Sending you a pm
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Oh, @Kiwi Angel I wish I could do more to help. I know what you're going through. Have you got someone supportive with you?
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    I’m very lucky to have my fabulous husband with me. Just can’t now stop my mind going to the possibility of dying when at the start of January this was all supposed to be nothing.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I know it feels overwhelming. One step at a time, though. That's what everyone says and it's true.  Deal with it when you know what you have to deal with.  I assume you're still in hospital - can your doctor prescribed something to help you calm and sleep?
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    I am still in hospital going home tomorrow. I am trying my best to be positive and just take it one step at a time - bit of an emotional hit today though but just have to wait for CT and histo results which is hard. Not good at the waiting game. 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Big huggs mydear 
    Positive vibes for recovery
    B
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel
    I was awake all night and cried all day during my time in hospital, twice. I too had fibroadenomas that were hiding cancer. My ultrasound from 2 years previously said nothing to worry about. So I didn't. I know how you're feeling. Crying releases feel good hormones into your body. Don't try to stop it. Encourage it, especially when there's no one around. I found showers were a great place to have a really good howl. My heart goes out to you. xo 
  • Spiv1803
    Spiv1803 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Best of luck, we are all here to listen x
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Kiwi Angel , best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    We received more positive news from the breastcare nurse this morning and she is going to ring me with CT results in the morning. The nurse that was with the surgeon when he talked to me yesterday has told me just to listen to the breast care nurse and my oncologist.  
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    Hate the waiting game. Supposed to get a call today with the results of the CT scan and feeling anxious again
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @Kiwi Angel
    It is hard waiting for scan results.  If you feel you would like to speak with one of the nurses, please call our helpline on 188 500 258.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    The breastcare nurse just rang with the results and the CT is all clear and normal. Finally some good news - hubby and I are over the moon. I still have to get lymph node biopsy results so I may still have a fight on my hands but it doesn’t seem anywhere near as bad as we were lead to believe.