Exercise can apparently lessen the rate of cancer cell growth and even help prevent its recurrence.

Options

Comments

• Fiona2
    Fiona2 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Hang in there Kath and I do hope that things turn the corner for you.  I imagine that being back at work full time must be taking a lot out of you.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have to agree with @Primek I certainly don't exercise as much as I should, and I couldnt exercise through chemo and had to stop working half way through. I'm a very determined strong minded woman and it certainly wasn't for lack of any of that, but being so incredibly ill...that it shattered me more than anyone will ever ever know, that I had to give myself permission to stop everything. My recovery was so difficult, I literally had to learn to walk again...that's right just walk?? it is amazing how different we all are. Exercise is important and I value my sessions with my Exercise Physiologist and my progress 2 years on, but its been painstaking and challenging...and nobody would know because nobody has walked in my shoes. 

As for work I concur, I have a very demanding job working in an Autism Specific School, where being agile is a prerequisite dealing with challenging behaviours. Excercise I do feel better and I strive to do more everyday. Do I believe that had any part in me getting BC?? ummm absolutely not. I was incredibly active I used to ride an exercise bike 22km a day, do 3 days at gym and walk every other day and Ive had it twice...hmmm LOL. I really wish they'd stop trying to find things to blame...NOBODY is the same...there are NO commonalities...nature of Science is they have to have something to explain things....
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Hey, maybe too much exercise causes cancer!!  I was a couch potato compared to the above.  I walked every day, wasn't much into exercise but I was hardly ever sitting.  Did a lot of crafts, recovered couches, played with grandkids, swam, canoed in summer etc and 8 days before diagnosed I built a small brick wall all by myself ...  from wo to go - with the cement mixer and all that stuff.  All in one day I might add.  Dug the hole, did the footings and then put on the bricks (not all meant to be done in oneday, maybe that's why its bit crooked.  That is how I used to handle stress.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I agree with @primek
     I was very sick and it has taken me so long to just get some of the things back that treatment smashed out of control. 
    I am 5yrs out from diagnosis, I still struggle with fog brain, if I get too busy my brain just shuts down. I have had an exercise physiologist, I attend swimming program for those with BC and I am still tired I sleep approximately 8 to 10hrs per night any less and I cant function.  I have just begun a new exercise group with the exercise physiologist who has realised that those who have gone thru BC need a different exercise program to help with the side effects from treatment. 
    WE are NOT all one sizes fits all .... chemo and rads surgery side effects are different for each body. I've learnt to listen to my body and not be so stressed by what others do but to go at the pace that is right for my body and life. 
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Wow that's encouraging to hear - pushing yourself actually motivates you and makes you feel more energetic!!  Well I hope that happens for me soon. 
    @Deanne I absolutely agree we each have our very own journey with bc just as we have different types, in varying places and to hugely varied degrees, so are our ages, previous health, treatments and support. This forum is gr8 for getting other people's experiences, sharing good (& bad) news, ideas, thoughts and interest items and whilst some people are able to work and do treatment other people can barely get out of bed, each person is doing the best they can, with the tools they have at any given time. Some days I feel hyped after a bit of exercise, I fortunately felt well through radiation and did not nap or need to, but now 3 months after treatment stopped and 3 months in hormone therapy, the cancers supposedly gone and I feel tired and lethargic, but I'm making myself go to exercise classes twice or 3 times a week. 
    Some days I just want to have brekkie & go back to sleep till I need to eat it toilet. 
    Everyone's journey begins with one step. How do you walk 1000 miles, one step at a time. Some days it's a minute at a time, others an hour and some days are good. 
    But even on the days I do nothing I'm still doing the best I can. And I'm told that's exactly what I need to do at that very time. 
    We are all different and we are all okay.  And we are exactly where we're meant to be right now. Relax more and do whatever it takes to make yourself feel better at the time. 
    You are okay exactly as and where you are.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options

Just thought this would lift our spirits 
  • Vallerina
    Vallerina Member Posts: 183
    Options
    I didnt even have chemo or radiation or any drug treatments, and i still feel very unmotivated about everything.  I had a mastectomy in March and then a reconstruction with an implant in July. I could  only lay in one position on my back  for around 6 months, and I cant take anything hormonal for my hot flushes (natural Menopause) so I missed a lot of sleep. (I saw a discussion on here recently about sleep problems and bought the RESTAVIT tablets, they have been a godsend. Thank you!!!) 
    I have lost faith in my invincibility that I was sure of before this happened. I have had a wake up call on life and mortality and it has affected me deeply. I think its a real shock to be diagnosed with cancer, even stage 0.  I had to take it very slowly in my recovery due to the weight of my implant and my fear it would move. I have always been a very physical person moving furniture around, smashing in star pickets in the paddock, chopping down trees, In the last 5 years I did 2 full interior and exterior house painting jobs all by myself. I was full of energy, stubbornly refusing help.  Now I am constantly worried as I feel the muscle of my chest flexing in a weird way whenever I do anything strenuous. Im not quite used to it yet. Its on my right side and Im right handed. I still get on the roof and clean my own gutters, mow my lawns, but I get tired much more quickly. I am tall and have always felt strong and powerful, now I feel sort of fragile. I have a strong mind and have bounced back easily from other traumatic life events. I have barely ever been sick.   I always have had some kind of exersise that Im hooked on. Just before my dx it was swimming, I was doing 1km  5 days per  week. Hopefully when the water warms up a bit I will get back into it but I will do it when I am ready. I know I have a lot to be thankful and grateful for, and believe me I am, I really am.  I'm not depressed or anything, just feel 'The wind has been knocked out of my sails'.  My point is that some of the fog and difficulty settling back into life may just be emotional as well as physical, from general shock and trauma,as well as side effects from treatment. 
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Yes Vallerina, we are all bullet proof --  until life proves we are not.
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's really obvious bc or whatever strikes us very differently AND it effects is very differently.  My daughter explained her having "lost her mojo" one time when she was down and out : and that's how it feels to me. I'm finding it more difficult to be UP these days snd cheering others up. Maybe it's maturity and general ageing at 67  
    whatever it is I hope to get back more enthusiasm for life again soon. 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Afraser.  Well done.!  I worked pretty much all through chemo and radiation as well. (I think I had about 6 days off over 6 months)  Fatigue was never a major problem for me.  The hot flashes and chemo brain was a bit of a problem at times though I must admit when you're trying to do 5 things at once.  I don't do any structured exercise as such, but as well as my job we also run a farm so there is always work to be done and I'm pretty much moving all day.  I found during treatment giving myself projects to do such as painting and renovating was helpful. Having goals just kept me going I suppose.
    I just wanted to keep my life as normal as possible.  So three months after completing all my treatment, I'm feeling pretty darn good! A few aches and a bit of brain fog every now and then (thank you Tamoxifen).  I think the biggest issue I have is that dreaded fear of recurrence which creeps in a lot, but I am sure this is familiar to a lot of people,
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @sandramj the role of exercise was also written in the international study released in May this year. I don’t find exercise easy - I walk an hour a day plus do a stretch and balance class twice a week - but find it helps me work thru joint pain a side effect of Letrozole and hopefully will reduce my cholesterol back to its former level another side effect of Letrozole. I also think it helps me deal with feeling low better.
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    There is actually an article on this website about Edith Cowan Uni in WA and their research into exercise and prevention of recurrence of breast cancer. It is well worth having a read! 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I do find it interesting I guess then, for all of the women that do exercise and did post diagnosis and still had a recurrence??