Radiotherapy rut

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2017 in General discussion
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Hi @Joannie, it's just bloody exhausting all of it. Tomorrow is day 9 of 25 zaps  of radiation and already I'm fed up having to go in everyday. I'm sick to death of the bloody hospital, can't wait for this Crap to be over.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    It's an absolute drag. The time in treament takes, what, 10 minutes? How the fuck can that eat up your whole day? 
    I had to travel 75 minutes to and from and usually had treatment before lunch. If I was going to work that would logically mean I still had half a day to do something productive. No.
    Just endure it. Put up with the scorching which, of course, really gets going just when you think you should be free of the whole business.
    Meh. You won't even remember their names in a couple of months. And I still can't figure out where the time went.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    @Joannie, you only have six to go. Can't wait til I'm that far along. The last few days my throat has been sore, wondering if it's the rads, but surely it wouldn't happen this early in.
  • Brenleigh
    Brenleigh Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi @Joannie, I’m still waiting for my start date for radiotherapy. I intend to go back to work this week as I am feeling well 3 1/2 weeks since last chemo. I’m hoping it won’t be too rough.  I can completely understand being sick of the hospital. Sad fact I also work there
  • Brenleigh
    Brenleigh Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Seem to have lost some of my last post. Not long to go now. Stay strong we can all say goodbye to the year that was 2017 very soon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Oh my l remember that last week sitting at the traffic lights thinking l wonder if anyone would notice if l slept at the wheel. Ive never felt exhaustion like it. Now l wonder how did l push through?
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    I felt like I was over radiation after the first appointment!
    I couldn't understand why I was taking it so hard when it was much better than chemo or recovery from surgery.
    I now think it is just that it is every day, and that it is coming to the end of 12 months of constant treatment and I am just OVER it.
    Mine takes 20 minutes, but it takes me from 2.15 leave home to catch the train, to 5 pm when my husband picks me up after he finishes work, so it makes it a long day. I am getting a lot of books read!
    Only a week more to go, I am now being bandaged by the nurses every day after treatment, so I am going to be glad to see the end of this. Lovely though all the staff are.
  • Fiona2
    Fiona2 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    I heard about a dressing film called Mepitel and requested it when I had my six weeks of radiotherapy.  The results were very impressive as I had absolutely no burning or discolouration to the skin area around the breast and neck area. And I can guarantee that it didn't block the beam from getting through and doing its job as I still have a swollen and tender breast 4 months after finishing the course (any idea how long this lasts for?)  I would definitely recommend it to protect the skin.  
  • Fiona2
    Options
    Ps.  the thing that really annoyed me the most about radiotherapy was how bright and chirpy most of the staff tended to be.  They were always wishing me an 'awesome' weekend and seemed quite crestfallen to learn that I had 'no big plans for partying' before my next appointment.  And the inane radio station they played in the waiting room had me wanting to throw a brick through it.  Anyway, that ordeal finally came to an end and this grumpy woman was able to move herself along to being grumpy at the next stage of her treatment  (does it ever end?....apparently yes, and in fact quite soon but I'm not sure I believe it!)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Fiona2
    Options
    Thanks Joannie for the encouragement.  Actually,  I do have also have to continue with ongoing tamoxifen for 5 years.  Not very happy about this but I did agree with my oncologist to 'give it a try and see how it goes'  which in my case seems to be pretending that I am not on it.  Well done to you too with getting through the radiotherapy.  The end (barring the tamoxifen) is in sight!