An ad on TV saved my life

Options
Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
On 12 October 2015 I found a thickening in my right breast after being prompted to do a self exam by a TV ad promoting October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Prior to seeing that ad I didn't regularly check my breasts because I was younger than 50, had zero family history of any type of cancer and therefore I didn't think I was at risk. And let's face it I was slack about that kind of thing.  I credit that TV ad and awareness campaign with saving my life. 

Now, 2 yrs later I am overseas on a long trip celebrating the end of surgery, radiation, chemo and 12 months of Herceptin, and the promotion of October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month is everywhere. And I mean Everywhere!!! In airports, on tv and radio, in service stations, supermarkets, 7elevens, train stations, hotels, right across the countries I have visited Japan, United Arab Emirates, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. I still have Iceland to visit, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it being promoted there as well. It brings me some comfort to know that these promotions will help save other women and men.

Here is what I found on the towel rack in my hotel bathroom in Stockholm, Sweden when I checked in tonight. What a brilliant prompt!!!

take care everyone, Nadine

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    So useful! Enjoy your trip, Iceland is wonderful.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Fantastic!  I sent an earlier photo of a pink ribbon decorated vending machine in Tokyo but I also saw entire city buildings lit in pink!  In Kyoto several of their major temples are draped in pink lights at night.   Awareness is everything!  Safe travels Nadi, Iceland would be incredible!  Jane xx
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    I was also in Kyoto but missed the pink building. That would have been great!!  
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Options
    Written in the Swedish (I presume) looks really interesting!  Its great though isn't it.  I checked mine regularly pre BC - but always standing in the shower. and never just looking at them.  I didn't know about the external changes.  And I now know that you often can't feel lumps while standing..... about a month before I really found the lump (because my boob was pointing the wrong way) I did feel a something.  Had underwire push up bras on, forgot to put moisturiser on, so running late just rubbed some around the top of boobs, felt something.  Had a good feel but couldn't find it again.  Boy do I wish I had followed it up.
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Options
    And I hope you are having a great time.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    HI @Nadi
    Oh what a fantastic trip !
    And what a fantastic bathroom reminder at the hotel.
    Travel safe and we look forward to hearing of your holiday (perhaps with a few other snaps).
    Summer  :-)
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Great ideas. Enjoy your trip. So earned. 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    What a fantastic reminder!!!!! And I for one had never stood in front of a mirror and raised both arms in the air to check for dimpling of the breast tissue - the surgeon at breastscreen on the day of biopsy (not diagnosis!!!)  had two student doctors with him and asked if they could sit in, and got me to raise my arms while they watched and then asked what they saw? One said she could see dimpling on my left breast when I raised my arms and he said correct, and then to me "but you would have seen that!"   Bullshit!!! - I did the clock circles around my breast but did not stand in front of a mirror and check - hadn't been advised to do that, remembered the ad years ago about the Rembrandt's Bathsheba and the dimpling, but, hands in the air ????? thought that was just a thing at concerts bwahahahaha!!!!  Fantastic that awareness is so visual. Enjoy your trip @Nadi, hope you're having a ball. Xx