Introduction

Options
2»

Comments

• Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Sorry my post isn't working... @Jen79x there are forms for you and your treating doctor to complete. Probably your oncologist atm. They are familiar with the process. They do them all the time. And YES you ARE sick enough. You're having CHEMO and I imagine trying to raise a child, run a household and manage your mental health too. It will get harder and you're not superwoman! Part of your super paid for the insurance. It wasn't free, so take advantage. You're entitled.
  • Jen79x
    Jen79x Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Thank you :) I will discuss with her next time I see her :) I'm going to try and work at least part time through this but it would be nice to know I can take a break and have done income coming in if I need it.
    i guess that's why we pay for it isn't it

xx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,506
    Options
    @RachelG and @Jen79x sorry to hear of your Breast Cancer diagnosis, its incredibly overwhelming. I've had it twice in 2011 and 2015, with my last diagnosis being ER+ Stage 2 Grade 3 which required chemo, no rads as I had it in 2011. 

I tried to have a plan of working through chemo but unfortunately and everyone is different I was extremely ill on FEC 3 weekly and had to be hospitalized for a few days after each of the 4 infusions. I then went onto 8 TAXOL weekly but by then it was cumulative and I had no relief with pain management. So I had to stop working which was so difficult with zero financial support. Unable to get help from Centrelink as I had some funds and Super was a no go. A few months after I finished treatment I found I had an inbuilt component of income protection. To qualify you have to wait 90 days, which didnt bother me as I had to be back paid. The other thing is also they take it from your last pay, so you have to have zero income. Mines for 2yrs and finishes this January. I get 75% of my predisability wage, I did return 3 days a week beginning of last year so they only pay the % on 2 days a week. Its better than nothing but as I got caught out they didnt take any tax out initially, so I have a $1,200 tax bill to pay uuugh. Now they take out double tax and apportion some of the premium to your super. Bit furious over the whole thing. I have no choice now but to go back full time to support myself as Im a single parent. Financially its been horrendous.

In terms of are you sick enough?? you have to supply all documentation reports etc. from Surgeon/Oncologist of your Breast Cancer Diagnosis, generally you wouldnt need to go on it until you are well into treatment and find you cannot work. So no problem with getting it at all. 

Cheers
    Melinda xo
  • Kombigirl
    Kombigirl Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi Rachel, I'm 54 and new to breast cancer too. Triple negative, inflammatory and in the lymph nodes, waiting to be staged. I have two adult children now, but when I had ovarian cancer, I was a single mum of 38 and my boys were 7 and 17. I did it by myself and didn't reach out. It's scary, I know, but take each day at a time. Don't worry too much about the future. Look after you at the moment. Reach out to everyone around you, I am this time around and it feels soooooo much better, having support. 
    Ange xx
  • RachelG
    RachelG Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi Ange, thank you for sharing your story. I have reached out to my family and friends back home in NZ and that has really helped. Taking each day at a time x