Two days ago my life changed forever

Options
2»

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I don't have a sister and can't advise much on that front but I have kept a journal. Wrote in it a lot in the early days, sporadically still. It was a great way to get things out of my system, or to pause and reflect. Now it's interesting to look back on and see how things have changed. So strongly recommend this as a helpful activity. Best wishes.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I thought I would share something I did. I kept a private facebook journal. I shared the ups and downs. My fears. My treatments. I took photos  of my  mastectomy with tbe drains, my breast reconstruction, of every chemo. I photographed my bald head. Iwanted to live it , feel it, remember it. ..and then be able to let it go. I still write 8 months on. Now its about the fight back. Becoming a survivor and reclaiming life. It helped me but also it opened the understanding of so many others who had no idea what having breast cancer treatment was like. And what recovery is like. I included family of my choice, work friends and friends. Personal invite only.  It also meant when we met up we didn't have to just talk about my cancer treatment because they already knew. Kath x
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi @brisbanestory sending you a big hug. Please also take care of yourself as this is a hard journey for those who love the diagnosed. So glad you have found the forum. I have two sisters one older, one younger and a brother. My older sister and my mum were both with me when I was given my diagnosis. My sister drove 7 hours to be with me. She then stayed with my mum and they both came to the hospital every single day (I was in for 6 days and it was a 2 hour round trip). They both came along to see my surgeon to get the pathology results which weren't ready the first week. They again came with me the second week. They came with me to give me their opinion on the wigs I was trying on, to go to the oncology appointments, radiotherapy appointment and just be there for support. Time and time again. I could not have asked for more and the enveloping of love and caring is something I will forever be greatful for. No grandstanding involved just pure love.  Also you can sign your sister up for the look good feel better course and go along as a support person for her there. I wish you both all the very best and cross fingers that if you do have testing that your results come back negative. Keep in touch and if you feel the need to come on and release frustration, or fear we are here for you. Xx Cath
  • brisbanestory
    brisbanestory Member Posts: 13
    Options
    @Afraser, thank you for sharing this with me, what a good idea and a great way to release feelings and thoughts.  There has been a theme of journalling and I am definitely thinking of finding a beautiful one for my sister.  Sending you best wishes
  • brisbanestory
    Options
    Dear @primek, this is such a brave and wonderful idea - a way to share your story with those close to you and give them an insight into your journey.  I really appreciate the idea and will definitely pass it on to my sister.  xx soph
  • brisbanestory
    Options
    @socoda, thank you so much, hugs have been so great the last few days and I think my sister has to shake me off from all the hugs I've been giving her hehe.  I'm so grateful for this forum, and for people generously sharing their stories with each other, it is such a huge help.  From a relatives point of view, you want to fix it for them but in lieu of doing that, just be there in the best way possible without being too overbearing.  I had heard of the look good feel better but for the life of me couldn't remember the name so a big thank you for that! Thank you for your kind wishes, I am hopeful for a negative result but I'm also hopeful as there has been lots of good thoughts put forward about the outcomes of the results which have helped tremendously.  Sending you all my best wishes and thank you again for your time and advice xx sophisticated