My book on fear of recurrence is published!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• positive3negative
    positive3negative Member Posts: 323
    Options

BOOK REVIEWS! 

There's something mildly terrifying about writing a book. 

In the writing phase I was consumed with craft and content. I wanted it to be simple, but not too simple. Useful and not overwhelming. Helpful and not exhausting.

After completing the first draft I put it aside for several weeks, came back to it and was shocked by how much repetition and useless waffle it contained. I edited fiercely. 

A couple of people read through the draft for me, including one very generous friend whose a professional writer. The feedback was good. It was time to publish. No reason not to just jump right in and do it. And yet it felt terrifying! It suddenly occurred to me that I was putting myself out there, open to whatever criticism people decided to hurl at me. I metaphorically chewed my nails as I waited for the book reviews to arrive. 

First came the friends. How I love my friends! A couple of them found the time to post their comments on the Amazon site. Here's what they said:

A very valuable resource for everyone, not only those that have had cancer. There is so much knowledge and information within this book for tools with working through freeing yourself from fear. I believe sometimes when we get caught in fear, there is fog, we don’t seem to acknowledge our own values and get lost in the mist. There is so much within this book that draws on many techniques for working through this and with a lovely sense of humour, it shows Meg McGowan has had the life experience to walk the talk. Thank you Meg McGowan.

And this:

If I could pay $5 to avert one hour of meaningless fear, would I spend it? "Of course!" I thought, and bought this book.
    It turned out to be full of practical ideas that I can use straight away on myself and the fearful ones around me...thats everyone alive.
    Holding hands with the fear-monster is a sweet image, and does it work?
    Well, I tested it.
    After reading the book I did a suitable amount of scary-monster hand-holding, then went though a list of scary phone calls, scary conversations, procrastinated tasks.
    I'm unharmed, and the quality of my future is now better. You don't need a life-threatening illness for this book to protect and nourish you.
    As a bonus, dandelions will forever look more beautiful, after reading this book.

When I checked today I found two reviews from people I don't know. How exciting! Here's what they've said:

If a cancer diagnosis feels like too much to bear, you'll find solid comfort here. The exercises are quick and easy to perform. Yet they are profound and will produce lasting results. McGowan's book is filled with wisdom that can only have come from one intimately familiar with the traumatizing effects of cancer diagnosis and treatment. I strongly urge you to buy this book. You'll be glad you did and will, like me, refer to it for years to come. This book is a rare find, and the author deserves praise.

And this:

This book ticks all the boxes for handling the fear of recurrence that is part of all cancer patients' lives after diagnosis.
    It is written clearly and cuts through all the fog that surrounds us when we feel overwhelmed.
    As a breast cancer survivor, I think Free from Fear should be on everyone's Important Items list.
    It is an exceptional read from someone who has been there, and understands.

Over on the Breast Cancer Network Australia site I'm also getting some really great feedback. Time to exhale.

You see, the thing is, even if I now get negative responses, or even if I never sell another copy of the book, it's all been worth it. 

Maybe I should write another one :D

Here's the Australian link (Kindle only) 
    Free From Fear on Amazon.au

Here's the US site where you can also get the paperback.
    Free From Fear on Amazon

There's a promotion coming up on the 19th of June when the Kindle version will be available for free for three days. I'm celebrating four years since that visit to Breastscreen found three triple negative tumours, so it seemed like a good way to celebrate. 

Thanks so much to everyone for all of your support. I couldn't have done it without you. <3

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Hi Meg, the review "This book ticks all the boxes...etc" was from me!  I put my amazon client id on it not realising I could put my name and they published it as a certified purchaser but anonymous!  Finished it and meant every word. xx
  • positive3negative
    Options
    Oh thank you so much, Michelle. As we all know, the experiences of other survivors are usually the most reliable recommendations when it comes to just about anything! Much love, Meg. X
  • Andij
    Andij Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Just started reading it. Fabulous so far:)

• Mary60
    Mary60 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Just ordered your book online. Can't wait to read it! Congratulations on writing it and getting published.
  • Kombigirl
    Kombigirl Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi Meg,
    I just wanted you to know that I've been reading your blog for days now,
     and I love it. <3
    You share so much wonderful information there.
    Even though I have only recently been diagnosed and all I know atm is I have Metastatic BC stage 2 to 3.
    I am already following your advice for skin care and have bought the products you recommended in preparation for my upcoming treatment (whatever that may be).
    I also wanted to let you know that your research skills have been highly appreciated along with your choice of blog's background, font and minimalist design which makes it a pleasure to read.
    Thank you so much, Ange x :)
  • positive3negative
    Options
    Hi Ange,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a beautiful comment. It really means the world to me. Everything I've done, the blog, the book and local engagements speaking to people about cancer and recovery, is all done with the hope of helping others. I'm so glad you found it useful. 
    My very best wishes for your treatment and recovery.
    Meg X