Tired with swollen lymph nodes

Options
2»

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Saw the GP doctor yesterday since my surgeon had asked what my GP doctor had to say about my nodes and I said I hadn't been seeing him, just the psych doctor and his nurse and the oncology doc who ordered blood tests and an ultrasound of the breast and armpit when he found my nodes large in the neck and one in the under arm.
    I requested my husband allow me to go into the appointment by myself but of course he didn't listen and came in with me. He has taken this whole carer thing to a smothering level. The doctor and he had met at a Christian men's breakfast a week before so the pair of them were just grinning at each other. It was difficult to get the doctors proper attention but he looked up the scan results and parroted off a lump 2mm and benign. I am not sure how they figured that out from an ultrasound but ok.
    The doctor listened when I told him I went off the Escitalopram due to diarrhoea which the phych doctor didn't seem concerned about at the time and my next appointment with him is way off in August. My GP offered to suggest some alternative psych meds but I declined. I would sooner be depressed than have heart palpitations every day and diarrhoea 5 times every morning.
    As to the neck glands being up, he didn't even feel my neck or my underarm and just said I have low immunity and even though I may not have a temperature or pain anywhere my body is trying to fight off bugs in my system and the nodes are up from that. No follow up appointment with him and he said once again, don't come in unless I have something major which needs medication as sitting in the doctors waiting room is a bad place to be for a person with low immunity.
    I see oncology on Monday I think so he will have the blood test results and may be able to explain to me in an Australian accent (not a foreign which is difficult to understand in my GP) more about this low immune system. I would have thought 13 months post chemo I should be pretty good by now? 
    I also see the surgeon again I think on Tuesday or Wednesday so he will follow up the nodes thing as well.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    Ask them all the questions you have Brenda and dont stop asking the questions until you feel like they have answered them all. 
    Do you have a Breast Care Nurse where the Onco is ? maybe see if she can come in with you then she can explain things to you if you need more clarification about it all. 

Hugs girl I hear you re the smothering effect my daughter was like that with me...... but she has settled down now. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Give the GP the flick. He can hang out with your husband all he likes, in their time not yours.
  • Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi, dont understand  how a gp can know anything when he hasn't examined you.
    Especially in our case when we all need that little extra care.
    Seeing as you are seeing other drs, they will have the answer for you, make sure you write your questions before going.
    And I agree with zoffitels comment  above.
    Take care and goodluck...xxx

• Brenda5
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Saw my oncologist who ordered the blood tests and the ultrasound today. He is such a lovely man and praised me up saying my blood tests were absolutely perfect! LOL
    The ultrasound which I have a copy of says nothing in the breast part but in the axilla some benign appearing simple lymph nodes and a 5mm cyst. No abnormality apart from that. We'll review in 6mths.
    I am loads better since I am off the Escitalopram pills which at the time were an anxiety necessity but it played havoc with my body so back to just the Tamoxifen from now on. :)
    Ps-
    Ok now I take 2mls a day of some lovely medicinal oil for depression too which isn't on prescription. Shhhhhhh ;)
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    What's the oil Brenda? Glad all good with the appt. What about the neck nodes?
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Brenda it sure has been a merrygo round ..glad that body has a become calmer!
    Now dont over do that joyful oil .Enjoy the better times ahead Maybe try afemale GP. i found a younger one who was up on all the best tests and could carry the conversation.All best Bright

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Sounds like Brenda is using the same sort of product I was using during chemo for nausea, Kath. That which shall not be named. It certainly wouldn't work as an antidepressant or a recreational product for me as it makes me quite anxious now. The penalty for a misspent youth perhaps, but I'll hopefully not need it again.
  • primek
    Options
    Oh...ok got it. Thought it was only used for appetite / nausea and pain in oil form. Having worked in detox units ...its "not oil" version actually causes depression and in some cases psychosis in many people ...so needs use with caution.
  • Brenda5
    Options
    Saw the surgeon today who wasn't happy that the ultrasound read 2mm nodes and 5mm cyst. He said since there is nothing showing in the breast, we'll leave the next check for 6 months but if there's anything amiss at all, see my gp who will order tests again. He wasn't real impressed that my gp said its low immunity and don't come back unless its something making me really sick. We'll just put it down to a reaction to the escitalopram meds which I don't take any more and see what happens.
  • primek
    Options
    Oh just to have them agree would make you feel more confident. I hope you feel much more spritely soon and this torrid time will be behind you soon. X
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Sending you hugs @Brenda5 and hoping angels of healing and health find you feeling better.  Depression and tiredness go hand in hand but the down spiral seems to be the more you rest (or withdraw from life) the worse the depression is.  Its hard but do something for yourself - a minute at a time or an hour - whatever it takes. Slowly onward and upward. :) xx