When to have your ovaries removed

Options
2»

Comments

• Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    Options
    @LMK74 I was a public patient, the Oncologist was ok with it but I had quite a time convincing the gynae to do it she did though, after speaking with my Oncologist.
    I waited on the list only about 45 days as well.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

I didn't want the plumbing and I certainly didn't want to faff around with Zolodex for years.

I'll admit to being a bit norty (No? Really?) I was on the point of refusing the chemo and my Onc was getting a bit aerated. He asked what it would take to persuade me and I told him I wanted a port in and the plumbing out, on the same day. By Christmas. This was in early December and he had me booked in by the 15th, despite me thinking, 'That's it, then. I'm not doing the envenomation."

The Gynae was a bit bemused by the rush but had a space so in I went. This was the public system, but as the latest CT had shown some lumps and bumps on my ovaries and given the nature of my cancer they conspired to get me in as a cat 1 patient. It was a sensible decision, even if I originally made it for rather suss reasons.

• LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Cate64 and zoffiel, I will definitely discuss my options after treatment. I'm not keen on taking zoladex or tamoxifen. It seems there are no easy answers on what the best thing to do is. The more I read about all these drugs they say you have to have the more scared I am. Have any of you refused hormone treatment.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @LMK74 Even if ovaries removed they would most likely recommend an aramatose inhibitor...as we make estrogen in body fat ...so just like post menopausal women, that would be recommended. 
  • LMK74
    Options
    Primal, I guess I will wait and see  what my results from surgery say when I get to that point. I'm coming back as a man in my next life lol. 
  • Anne94
    Anne94 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi @LMK74
    like @primek said you would still have to take an aramatose inhibitor.  I didn't have much trouble with the zolodex after the first couple. Except my ovaries are still pre-menopausal, so they are being removed. And I'm on tamoxifen and have had no adverse effects from that (except hot flushes). 
    I'm also a public patient and have been looked after very well by all treating teams, from the oncologist, orthopaedic surgeons, & the gynaecologist. 
    You just need to ask. The doctors want to be able to help you. And we cannot be passive in our health care. 
    Kind regards 
    anne
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    Options
    The plus side of having it done while you're still feeling run down is that when you finally start feeling normal again you won't have to face another healing process. It'll just be this on top of the rest and then done and dusted and you care really leave it behind you. Have you thought about it any more @fairydust?
  • LMK74
    Options
    Anne94, I haven't yet found many side effects from zoladex either. I'm 43 so pre menopausal. It's so much to take in,but I really want to try and make the best decision regarding side effects and risks of recurrence. 
    Inkpetal, I love your thinking lol,makes sense to do it while feeling like shit .
  • Anne94
    Anne94 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Good morning @LMK74
    I understand that there is a lot going on for you. Those first few months really throw you for a six. So many doctors appointments -   Life changes and all the adaptations that go with it. 
    And everyone makes the best decision that is right at the time. 
    Ask the doctors what is your risk of reoccurrence.  They can let you know by the pathology reports.  Talking to a psychologist also helps put things into perspective.  Living in fear is not really living at all. 
    I've just had my femur stabilised and then next week having my hysterectomy so I'm getting everything done so that I can go back to work. 
    I wish you all the best. 
    Anne xoxo 
  • LMK74
    Options
    Anne94, thanks so much. I've yet  to have surgery, doing chemo first as my tumor was large and I'm small breasted. My onc said stage 3 and grade2 from biopsy report. That's all I know at this stage and I'm er positive, her negative.
    Hope all goes well for you too.