Freaking out about Mastectomy

Options
124»

Comments

• Bon Bon
    Bon Bon Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for responding ladies. Yes we have to go with what we have been delt, be glad for the good and handle the rest
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    @Bon Bon How are you traveling?? are you healing/mending?? that's a hell of a lot to go through, completely understand your thoughts on it all. I've done this BC twice in 4yrs, its bloody hard the surgeries, the treatments all of it. All we can manage is one thing at a time, and even then its like "ENOUGH" after 6yrs multiple surgeries and treatments Im so glad to say 16 months post chemo and 7 weeks post Mastectomy/Diep flap recon. NOW onward and upward, we absolutely make the best decision for ourselves at the time. Take care Melinda xo
  • bevvzy
    bevvzy Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi can see a few familiar names here so thought would pop into the conversation and maybe get some more advice. I was diagnosed a little over 3 weeks ago with grade 3 idc. Had my mastectomy late yesterday so.pretty darn sore!  Cant even lift arm but i guess thats normal. Thing is i was only meant to have sentinel node removed during the mastectomy but when i woke up and asked why i couldnt lift arm, the surgeon said that he noted a number of enlarged auxillary glands so took them too? All of a sudden I'm starting to wonder if i will be lymph node pos as had convinced self that would just have sentinel node and be negative. Always the optomist lol. Now im wondering if it doesnt come back neg will need chemo also and not just the hormone treatment. You dont have chemo if lymph nodes are neg do u ??? Is it not so great that he had to take more than sentinel as were enlarged ?
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Hey @bevvzy - totally understand that you will have heaps of worries and questions now. Once the pathology tests are in, you'll be much clearer about the path of treatment - I know it's hard to avoid, because the brain is buzzing and there are so many unknowns....but try and take a step back, be kind to yourself, focus on resting and recovering from your operation. I find if I take it more slowly - one day, one hour and sometimes even a minute at a time - I can feel less overwhelmed. Nikki xxx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    Bevvzy it's hard absolutely, so many questions and your Surgeon is best to run you through it all. Its not abnormal to have taken more lymph nodes, and it doesnt necessarily mean there is anything wrong either. Chemo is not just for positive lymph nodes no, it also has to do with the pathology of the tumor, its a little complex. Too difficult to guess or get ahead just yet, try and focus just on the surgery right now, very normal to not be able to lift your arm. Hugs Melinda xo
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @Bevvzy, even when the surgeons think one thing it can turn out to be opposite when pathology comes back. My tumor was thought to be mega aggressive  and pathology  came back complete opposite so try not to stress.  You can't  change the outcome and it's  a long enough wait to get pathology back so if you can just rest,  recover and try and relax.  Sending positive vibes your way.  Xx Cath 
  • bevvzy
    bevvzy Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks all