Pilates

Options
2»

Comments

• Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    Options
    • Thanks @Afraser.  I’m on Anastrozole & vitamin D but asked if I should be taking anything else, & she said no. I’d been taking curcumin for another problem and asked if that was ok. She rang the Pharmacy at the hospital to check on it and I got the ok on that. My gp didn’t know if I should be taking the curcumin. The registrar didn’t tell me at 1st that I had osteopenia just started asking me when I’d last been to the dentist without explaining why. I’ve only ever seen my oncologist up till now but am a public patient so don’t have much choice about who I see I suppose. 
    • I’ve not heard about taking magnesium for osteopenia or is it for something else?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options

One study in 51 postmenopausal women found that 40% of women with osteoporosis or low bone density had low circulating magnesium levels. 

Additionally, several studies in adults have found that individuals who consume higher amounts of magnesium through their diet or supplements have better bone mass density than those consuming low amounts.

While adequate magnesium intake has been associated with bone density benefits, research is mixed on whether this benefit translates into a reduced risk of bone fractures.

As more research is needed on the role and optimal dose of magnesium supplements on the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures, it’s best to focus on consuming a diet rich in magnesium-containing foods, such as nuts, seeds, whole grains, and legumes. 

If you’re concerned about meeting your magnesium requirements through diet alone, you should speak with your healthcare provider for personalized recommendations on magnesium supplements.

From Healthline

As I said, always best to check, regarding your own individual case. You may not need any additional magnesium if your diet is doing the work. Best wishes.