Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Tumor marker expectations with fourth infusion of Herceptin and Perjeta

Options
Sam09
Sam09 Member Posts: 149
Hi loveliest of ladies :)
I  am about to front up again for my fourth infusion of herceptin and perjeta. I was diagnosed with stage 2 bc in April 16 and then mets to liver in December 16 .  I find tumor markers interesting as when first diagnosed my tumor markers were 30 borderline and then went down to 18 after surgery alone.  When I had met diagnosis they were rising and went to 46 to 89 to 212 to 490 . After the first infusion they went down to 220 and then to 81  and I had bloods today so fingers crossed they have come down again, I sooooooo hope.  Has anyone had them come down to the normal range again through these 2 drugs alone. I am also thinking post this treatment do they stay down for long or do I have to stay on them? Hope someone can advise me with their experience? Thank you in advance..... 

Comments

• nelliejs
    nelliejs Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Can't help you, I'm afraid. When I got diagnosed with extensive mets in the spine in April last year, my tumour marker level was 12. I probably had those mets for some time but it was only when I started to get into considerable pain that more tests were done to find the cause. Up until then, the oncologist relied on blood tests only for my six month visits to determine how I was going and my tumour markers were always low. Even this time after radiation, chemo and three weekly Herceptin/Perjeta, they've gone from 12 to 11. Go figure! 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Sam09, Can't help you with info  but I can wish you all the best for low markers. Xx
  • Pamelamary
    Pamelamary Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi Sam. Tumour markers aren't necessarily the best indication of your met activity, but getting them low is a good sign. The scans give a better indication. My markers have been pretty "normal" for about 4 years now, stable on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Perjeta is now standard of care as well. We Her2+ women can expect to stay on these drugs for as long as they work - a long time, I hope!
    Best wishes..... Pam
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Options
    Hi Sam, I also had Tumour markers done today . I hope they will be coming down . I am back on I.V Abraxane after different chemo medications I have been on have stopped working. My oncologist said that they are not the perfect test but so far for me it has been a good indication when the cancer is on the move again. My oncologist is happy when my Tumour markers are around 30. She said that they will never go back to normal once you have cancer. Last test I had was in Nov. and they were 98 . I have mets in numerous bones.  I hoping they are be having  themselves as I would love to go away for a short break. Best wishes with your treatment  Wendy.
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Thank you for you comments I appreciate them and they help me  :) I had my infusions yesterday and my blood test results which I am so happy about. My ca 15 tumor markers are down from 495 to 49 after 12 weeks of treatment. I feel so blessed today and so well I cannot wipe the smile off my face. Always after my infusions I have a bad headache and feel quite ill,  in which I did all night last night and this morning....... however I am now feeling well. I have never ever felt so happy about something most people take for granted FEELING WELL   YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  • nelliejs
    nelliejs Member Posts: 20
    Options
    That's great news! May your markers continue to tumble!