Exercise on chemo

2»

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    If you google "Catalyst chemo exercise" you will find a recent Catalyst (ABC) program that highlighted the benefits of prescribed (exercise physiologist) exercise during chemo and radiation treatments. The chemo patients actually had chemo and then went immediately to the gym at the same hospital and exercised.

They did adjust the program to each person and take into consideration individual chemo side effects but their research is showing that the right type of exercise enhances the chemo experience for most people. It makes chemo more effective against the cancer and helps the body to handle side effects more easily. Some patients come out the other side in better condition (more muscle for example) than they were in before chemo!

I also walked during chemo as much as possible. I do wish that I had had the opportunity to see an exercise physiologist and find out more targeted exercise to do as well. I think more oncologists are aware of the research that is showing exercise can be of benefit during chemo. My oncologist was supportive of my walking. But I only had one round with neutrophil issues. My oncologist never suggested that it had anything to do with my walking.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I used to walk twice a day half an hour but on my first round of chemo I dropped it to one half hour once a day walk. My neutrophils on day 10 were zero. The other three rounds of chemo I was sent home with an injection to give myself the next day. About a month after chemo ended my neutrophils dropped again and I ended up fighting bronchitis for three months with two lots of antibiotics. I still only do the one half hour walk as I get too tired for the rest of the day if I do the morning walk and during summer I can't tolerate the sun.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,524
    @Deanne

thats certainly interesting! I start my program next week with my exercise physiologist. She's worked with many Breast cancer ladies. She did say she couldn't have worked with me through chemo, that post is better on the road to recovery. Side effects were too severe and I was too ill. She mainly does post not though chemo. Said walking through chemo is enough if you can manage it. Melinda 
  • Deanne
    @melclarity
    It is such an individual thing but there is a lot of research to support the positives of exercise during chemo. It can help to minimize many side effects like nausea and fatigue especially. I know a few ladies on here have been encouraged by their oncologists to do what they can manage exercise wise.

I think I was more than capable on FEC chemo (I walked 5km most days) and actually felt it helped me to recover more quickly. But it was completely different on Docetaxel for me. That is when I struggled and had trouble with my neutrophils. I attend a gym now where the exercise physiologist runs a clinical class for people undergoing chemo. The exercise is very gentle and adjusted to their individual capabilities. Mainly aimed at maintaining muscle to prevent bone density issues. Completely different from what would be prescribed for recovery afterwards.

It is not possible for everyone but I would have loved the opportunity to at least try it during my chemo. Maybe it would have helped to prevent the bone density issues I am working hard to correct now? I'll never know.  I hope that more doctors and oncologists will refer patients to exercise physiologists in the future. I really enjoy the program I do now.  :)

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,524
    @Deanne

I hope oncologists also do more with this too. There's not enough information or people helping in this area at the time of Chemo. I beat myself up everyday through chemo wanting but unable to exercise....the loss of control was soul destroying on top of just trying to get through chemo let alone unable to exercise or work in the end. Hardly any support and 2 kids to raise alone no wonder i was so bad. Its just about doing what you can and feels good nothing more. So individual of course....so ladies be kind to yourselves. X
  • Deanne
    Yes @melclarity we should never feel bad about what happened during such a challenging part of our lives.  We all do the best we can and it so important to listen to your body and only do what feels possible or right for you. But I think we all deserve the most support we can get from the medical side of things. If an exercise physiologist could enhance our experience then it would be wonderful to think that everyone is offered that chance. xxx
  • ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Thanks for the info @Deanne I have seen that program a few times. I used to be an exercise physiologist before I became a teacher hence why I was a bit bamboozled to be told to rest and not do too much. I was able to maybe do 2-3 walks a week on AC but with taxol carbo I have been doing 4/5 with some resistance home based exercises in there too. 
    I had chemo on Thursday and got to say I am feeling the carbo a bit more this time round. Not sure if that's because I had a few week gap but I will do shorter walks and see if they continue to help me feel a bit better as they have done before. Hope you enjoy your EP program. Carly xx