Exercise on chemo

ccasper
ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
Hi Ladies

I just wanted to post on here to see people's responses. I have had a delay due to low neutrophils but they are back up and having chemo as we speak. 

I was talking to a nurse and a social worker that told me that I am exercising too much or at too much of an intensity. Now I walk about 4 times a week roughly and it varies from 30-45 mins and I sometimes do yoga. My side effects at the moment are not too drastic but I was told to take it back a notch which is fine I am happy to drop the pace a bit but was told my neutrophils are effected by exercise? Anyone shed some light on this or exercised similar to me on chemo? Obviously I'll ask my oncologist but I don't see her until next week. Thanks in advance x

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi Casper, I have finished 4 x AC & about to start 12 x Taxol. I have exercised throughout with walking/running twice a week plus a pump class and body combat. I also work 3 days. I did the Encore program & told them I would like to join Dragons Abreast with oncologist's permission & facilitator said no way because I was doing too much. It is hard to know that if you feel ok then why not.  I haven't had a problem yet but it is early days. I would think walking would be fine & definitely yoga too & Oncologists have varying opinions as well. Mine is all for exercise but chemotherapy nurse said take it easy!
  • ccasper
    Thanks @Glemmis how good are you going!!! That's what I have found. In the clinic I get old one thing and oncologist tells me something different. I'll stick to asking my oncologist and taking her advice! 
  • LibbyB
    LibbyB Member Posts: 52
    I walked every day while on chemo throughout my 4XAC and 12xtaxol. My oncologist advised me to try and keep up my exercise as it helps with fatigue. It was my one goal every day to ensure that I had a walk of 30-45mins!!
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    I exercised throughout my 6 rounds of AC Chemo, which consisted of daily walks after dinner & running 5km at parkrun on Saturdays.

I never had a drama & was never told that exercise would lower my neutrophils & my Oncologist & the Onc Nurses all knew what I was doing.
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    I have been exercising every day through my ac chemo and now during weekly taxol. I walk at least 8km as my dogs and i need the exercise. My oncologist encourages me to keep up with it to combat fatigue and maintain fitness. I have not had any issues to date. Also helping me mentally to be out in fresh air.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited December 2016
    I did as much as I could when well enough. My oncologist talked specifically about exercise and chemo and try to walk at least 30 mins most days. I don't think your program is extreme.

This article includes info of what be she might be  is talking about.

http://sweatscience.com/how-neutrophils-boost-or-weaken-your-immune-system-after-exercise/
  • ccasper
    Thanks ladies. Always coming up with some good info @primek

maybe I can shorten my walks and see if it makes a difference! Even try two shorter walks!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,524
    @ccasper

I ended up so incredibly ill on Chemo that exercise was out let alone being able to walk to the letter box, its been a long recovery, 1 yr on now, Ive improved but walk 3 times a week and am starting with my Exercise Physiologist next week. Im looking forward to it, she was a wealth of information too! works with alot of Breast Cancer Ladies in recovery. 

I would take it down a notch and just see for yourself if it makes a difference, I dont know about it affecting your neutrophils but found this link too might be helpful. Hugs Melinda xo

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/765105
  • ccasper
    Thank you. My walk today was just over 30mins so I am going to try and keep them to that but I am doing some yoga tomorrow. That link didn't work @melclarity it took me to a login page!
  • melclarity
    Oh that's weird!!! you could try copy and pasting the link possibly, not sure why it did that lol. I'll paste some of the content here. Its all a bit over the top the jargon sorry! but what I get from it is, they say moderate exercise is better in terms of neutrophils than severe exercise. 

Introduction

Regular exercise is a practical way to improve immunity. However, the exercise effects on immunity are highly dependent on exercise intensity, duration, and frequency. Acute severe exercise (ASE), marathon running in particular, increases tissue damage and stimulates the secretion of many proinflammatory cytokines (e.g., tumor necrosis factor > and interleukin (Iβ) 1A)[8,20] and an antiinflammatory cytokine (IL-6).[22] ASE also increases the risk of upper respiratory tract infection.[14,32]In contrast, chronic moderate exercise (CME) lowers many proinflammatory cytokines (e.g., C-reactive protein and IL-1) and elevates an anti-inflammatory cytokine (IL-10) in the circulation.[22] As a whole, CME improves immunity as indicated by lowered susceptibility to viral and bacterial infections.[14,32]

Because ASE and CME have diverse effects on immune responses, they may differentially regulate neutrophils. Neutrophils, the major cell type responsible for innate immunity, are short-lived leukocytes that undergo spontaneous apoptosis. Our recent studies have shown that ASE accelerates neutrophil apoptosis, whereas CME delays it.[24,25] Whether ASE and CME also exert differential effects on neutrophil functions deserves further investigation. When infection occurs, neutrophils rapidly migrate to the infection site (chemotaxis) and ingest the pathogens (phagocytosis). Whereas some studies demonstrate that ASE paradigms enhance neutrophil chemotaxis and phagocytosis,[5,7,17] other studies show either suppressive effects or no effect at all.[6,23,31] These controversies might be due to the different physical fitness levels of subjects, different exercise protocols, and different assay methods used in various studies. So far, relatively few studies address the effects of CME on neutrophil functions, and self-controlled studies are still lacking.

• ccasper
    Thanks @melclarity I do feel as if what I am doing is still moderate but having 30mins walks will be a experiment of mine at the end of my chemo x
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Hi everyone. I am walking most days and find it does help with energy levels, but I am getting frustrated with the fatigue and just not being as active as I'm used to. I asked the nurses in day onc today about doing some gym or onc rehab to help me stay fit and not lose condition while I'm doing chemo, but they were against it, and said I just have to accept that I won't have energy at the moment, and worry about building it up again once I finish the chemo. Just wondering @ccasper whether you have Neulasta injection after your chemo? I was neutropaenic after my first chemo (neuts 0.13) and was given Neulasta after my second chemo last week. I will have my blood test in a few days to check neuts this time but apparently it helps.
  • melclarity
    @KatyJoy

I must admit pre Chemo I had a plan of attack for exercise, work and my life. All of it went out the window, was so so hard, to let go of how I wanted to do it all and my own expectations of myself. My body dictated the journey as it does for all of us. I'm 1 yr post chemo next week. YAY! but am only starting with an exercise physiologist next week to help, I also mid year did a rehab course through the Epworth Hospital, it was amazing! its been a long road and bit by bit I will get there, but my body lost all condition in every way, my assessment wasnt great, I have a long way to go but absolutely will get there.

The key is do what YOU feel, all of you, what suits you and feels good for you, nobody can tell you what to do. Listen to your own body, it really will tell you. I do enjoy my 30min walks though is very painful, I still do them a few times a week, its all progress. Be kind to yourselves!! Melinda xo
  • Bakdom
    Bakdom Member Posts: 21
    Hi Casper, I've recently finished the same chemo regimen, I walked almost everyday of chemo and would walk anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hrs per day. Both my oncologist and chemo nurses were on board. Luckily my neutrophils never dropped lower than 1.3, now 4 weeks out I feel pretty good (chemo had many challenges but the only lingering one is hair loss). I believe that exercise really helps get you through chemo and hope to continue to walk throughout the rest of my treatment. All the best
  • ccasper
    Thanks again @melclarity ad enjoy your work with the EP.

@KatyJoy I had neulasta with AC but they hadn't planned it with carbo/taxol regime. They are considering it though depending on this weeks blood test.

thanks for your feedback @Bakdom I really enjoy my walks as it helps me mentally too. Happy you are feeling good. I feel as if it wasn't for my exercise, I may have more side effects. So far my main side effect has been hair loss and some fatigue with AC. Good luck with the remainder of your treatment.