Infection after Surgery

Options
aucote64
aucote64 Member Posts: 6
Hi, so glad i am now here. It was a huge shock to find out I had breast cancer from a regular Mammogram. I hadn't felt a lump so thought it would be routine. I was diagnosed in July this year. I went through all the tests, new Dr,s and the operation to remove the lump. Up until then i was keeping everything together. Two weeks after my operation on the Monday i went back for my check up. My Surgeon was happy with how i had healed. I told him i was concerned about how much it still hurt. He told me that was normal at this stage. By Friday my breast was very red and sore. I went to my local GP who sent me to see my surgeon. He cleaned out the wound and admitted me back into hospital. Two operations and ten days later i got to go home.
That was seven weeks ago. I have been on 4 doses of antibiotics since then. I have been down to start Radiotherapy 3 times now. The Oncologist will not start until the redness has gone. Many tests later, that have all come back negative, the Dr's still have no idea why my breast is still red and hot?? They did tell my when I had the second two operations that i had a Staf Infection.
Has anyone else had this problem? I am desperate for answers?

Comments

Share Member Posts: 217
    Options

Welcome to the online forum @aucote64 - it is a place that I have found you can vent, chat, laugh, cry and we all have a common link (not that any of us really wants to be belong to this club !).

I am so sorry that your shock has continued in waves since July.

I have had (over 13 years) lumpectomy, mastectomy, reconstruction (using skin flap) and fortunately not had any infections and subsequent problems with heat and redness in the breast.

Sounds bizarre but I have heard of something similar to breastfeeding Mums and that is putting cabbage leaves on their breast to reduce the heat.

Do you have communication with a breast care nurse - they are a font of information as are the wonderful ladies on our online network from BCNA like @Ann-Marie_BCNA.

Every wish for daily improvement in your health.

Sheryl

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi autco64. Sorry to have you join us but welcome! I really feel for you as you have been through a lot already in a short period of time. I had an infection after another surgery (not for BC) and it took me a good 10 weeks to recover. The surgical site was red and hot, I also had a low grade fever and felt really unwell. Did they take any swabs and send them to pathology? I had swabs repeated every 2 weeks until it started to come under control. The swabs allowed the surgeon to determine whether the antibiotics prescribed were the right type for the type of infection I had.  Having gone through 30 sessions of radiation, I understand why the radiation oncologist wants your skin not inflamed before they start. Your skin and tissue goes through so much with radiation and if they started before it is ready and all healed they may have to stop treatment which would mean you may not get the full dose. I have used cabbage leaves when I had mastitis and they really are soothing Just put them in the fridge for an hour or more and then place in your bra wrapping the whole breast. They will make you smell a little like coleslaw but it does help reduce the redness and pain. Good luck with it. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Nadine
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    I had an infection, not immediately after surgery but recurring and finally a serious infection 12 months after. In no way my surgeon's fault, the major problem was that a persistent seroma created a fertile breeding ground for the bacteria that we all have in our bodies. Heavy duty antibiotics seemed to be doing the job, but my surgeon wasn't satisfied the core problem was dealt with and had to make the tricky decision about keeping on keeping on with antibiotics, or surgery to clean out the infection (leaving me open to possible hospital based infection). Not an easy decision. He went for surgery, and that was the end of the infections (and the seroma). But it's a complex problem - I didn't have radiation (although I sure looked as if I did) and radiation will doubtless complicate the matter more.  Some good suggestions have been offered so you need to try and soothe the inflammation first, and then see if there is any improvement. If so, then that's the right course of action. But if not after a reasonable time, then a second opinion is always worth getting. Good luck.
  • aucote64
    aucote64 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I have had two operations to clean out the wounds. I was in hospital for 10 days on IV antibiotics, then four more lots after i got out. I have had bloods, and aspiration and swabs done. It is all coming back negative. My initial operation was on the 5th September, I was back in hospital on the 23rd. Operation to clean wound on the 26th & again on the 29th. I had drain tubes in both wounds. I have only a small amount of pain in my breast, the redness keeps coming and going. I am going to see an ID Dr next Thursday, hopefully she will be able to give me an answer. If not I will ask to be sent to Melbourne to sort out the problem, I live approx 4 hours from the city but i need to find out what is happening. I have spoken to my Breast Care Nurse, she also has no idea why this has happened.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I think the suggestions above are great. if it continues may I suggest you ask the question if they should consider a skin biopsy just to  outrule anything  else. 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi aucote64, I'm sorry I have nothing to add to help,  just wanted to wish you all the best and hope that the redness and heat subside so you can move forward in your treatment. All the best Xx