Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

To work or not to work?

Options
2»

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    Maggie, whilst I dont have MBC, I've had BC twice in 5yrs. it is such an individual journey in terms of work, only you can decide if its right for you or not. I had aspirations and was very stubborn at the onset of treatment last August...seems the Universe had other ideas. I was extremely ill through Chemo 4.5 months and couldnt work for 3 months of it. Im 11 months post Chemo and still only able to work 3 days a week. I was upset at the time as I work with Autistic Children and I wanted to work. What I realised was it worked out exactly as it was meant to....I had to learn to STOP...Ive worked hard all my life and put others before me...what I learnt to do now is I PUT ME ABOVE EVERYONE. Work comes second now to my health and what I want to do in terms of my continued recovery. A huge life lesson for me but Im finally honoring myself. No job is worth running yourself into the ground for...and yes the flipside is for alot of people its a great distraction and they are well and enjoy it. ITs incredibly personal and depends on what your journey is and feels like for you...I learnt to let go of all expectation on how I think things should be and now I just live and life is much more enjoyable. Its been a tough 5yrs doing this twice and im a single parent with no support...but I did it, and will continue to recover and hopefully get back to full time in another year. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Miss M
    Miss M Member Posts: 6
    Options
    You sound like a incredible strong lady, I to am single so not working I know will be really tough, but I know it will all work out. To have no support during this time would be so hard, I'm luck I have a large support group within my grown children , boyfriend and my work community as I'm a director of a Childcare centre and the support from my employer and families is unbelievable.
    i hope your recovery lets you get back to work as soon as your healthy enough to, because I know working with children help me to feel motivated and better about myself.
    best wishes.
  • maggie001
    maggie001 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Melinda and Miss M, 
    Mekibda - you do sound like a wonderfully strong woman with a very positive attitude. I thonk one of the hardest things to learn to do is to put yourself first and give yourself time to just be, to live life in the now and do the things you want to do with people you want to be with. I wish I was better at this and totally agree with all you said.  I think my job is physically less taxing than yours working with autistic children or Miss M's as Director of a childcare centre. I am largely a desk jockey
  • maggie001
    maggie001 Member Posts: 30
    Options

maggie001 said:

Hi Melinda and Miss M, 
    Mekibda - you do sound like a wonderfully strong woman with a very positive attitude. I thonk one of the hardest things to learn to do is to put yourself first and give yourself time to just be, to live life in the now and do the things you want to do with people you want to be with. I wish I was better at this and totally agree with all you said.  I think my job is physically less taxing than yours working with autistic children or Miss M's as Director of a childcare centre. I am largely a desk jockey. 
    It is a very individual decision and depends hugely on how well you feel with treatment and the cancer. I'm lucky at the moment I fell well. 
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I hope you both can feel well enough and strong enough to return to work when you feel able
    Hugs -
    Judy