How's your faith now?

Options
Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
edited May 2016 in Social Groups

My faith is fairly simple and basic, believe in him. A long time ago, despite technically being a Christian I really wasn't. I had learned the bible passages and sang the hymns but it was taught to me and I hadn't taken up the reins so to speak myself. When my life had turned to absolute crap I asked formally for God to come into my heart. To manage my life for me as I had done an absolute awful job of it myself. That day changed everything. It was rather magical. It stopped raining on me, literally as I was outdoors and as I passed through an open paddock of 200 bulls they parted in a big semicircle and the sun shone on us all in rays. I just knew my prayer had been answered. From then the thirst to read the Bible for myself began together with some phone tutelage from a church minister I knew. I read it for myself, not as taught by others and rather enjoyed it. Its a really good book and is a great instructor on how to live your life through God. There's a few things I haven't gotten my head around yet but I figure when it comes to the time to learn, God will be there to instruct. Then I got breast cancer...

After going through life and working hard to attain my goal of retiring early and moving to my beach house, I thought every thing was great! My family moved in, my pets and I had been here six months. Life was fantastic! I thought there was something odd about one of my breasts. It had a crease and a big vein across it and would pinchy hurt from time to time. So first visit with brand new doctor was check my breasts. I was sarcastically feeling my second visit would be for the dreaded smear test, what a great Dr, Patient relationship. We never got to the second smear past. Breast cancer treatment took over.

My first thoughts were no fair God! Why me? Why now? I still have faith in his wisdom but by gee he is testing me. I asked my mother who is supposed to be a Christian counsellor but her idea was the devil had found me and I was cursed and my family was cursed and we needed deep prayer etc. Well Mum did the prayer thing with us and I suppose that is good but I can't help just feeling it's just life. Just because  we believe in God, it doesn't mean we get a free ticket on this earth at a perfect life. How we conduct ourselves in life with God does have a bearing on our after life with him. Had anything gone wrong in my surgery or treatment, I was good to go. I have faith in God's plan. This time it seems he isn't ready for me to join him just yet.

My faith is very simple and I think that's how God wants me to keep it. Don't sweat the small stuff.  

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi  Brenda, 

I hear you my faith is simple. He has seen me thru my treatment and I am out the other side 

When were you diagnosed ? what would you like to discuss or chat about? 

soldier crab Aka Alice 

• SandyA0902
    SandyA0902 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Brenda,

It is my faith in Jesus that has helped me during my treatment. Learning to let go and trust in Him. He has given me such peace and hope in a time that is very challenging. I believe that sickness is part of the human condition and it is through our weakness that we can draw from Gods strength.

I still have hard days, anxious thoughts and self doubt but that is why I need my faith. Just knowing He is always there to turn to.

Keep praying and trusting.

God can turn any situation into opportunity to reveal His love for you.

Xx

• Brenda5
    edited May 2016
    Options

I was diagnosed in October last year. I had a left mastectomy followed by a full node clearance and chemo for the last 3 months. I am now on Tamoxifen for a few years.

I had prayer by my parents for the first op and while I didn't die from the surgery I did get awfully sick afterwards from a side effect of gas during surgery. There is a bit of a bonus in that story as I met another lady who had a different surgery but the same anaesthetic as me and we both spent the night alternately throwing up and keeping the nurses busy. She is now my friend and came to visit me at home after we'd both recovered and we keep in touch on face book.

For the second surgery we had prayer with my parents and another lot of prayer with our neighbours next door. The neighbour had a different style of prayer and said Father God which I thought was kind of respectful and loving at the same time. That surgery was something of a miracle as my husband was allowed in right up until I went into anaesthetic, the surgeon positively skipped in to see me pre surgery and he was joking and happy and really reassuring and not at all like the doom and gloom guy he had been before. I got the best anaesthetist who made sure he didn't use gas and I didn't get ill at all. Amazing how just a little more prayer can help.

• Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi Brenda.
    Having faith in Christ does not mean we get to live a pain free, trouble free life without diseases or tribulations. In fact we should expect these things to happen in the world. In His word we are told to rejoice in our suffering. Romans 5:3 'Not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope'.
    When going through pain and suffering we learn valuable lessons and we get to be 'qualified' in the area of 'pain' which in turn enables us to minister to others going through similar circumstances.
    I just want to add, by no means where you or your family cursed! God doesn't struck people with disease as a punishment. He gave His son Jesus to stand in place of our trespasses and sin and with the birth of Jesus came our salvation. We are no longer under the curse of the law. I get furious when I read supposedly 'inspirational quotes' that implies that "God only gives His strongest children the heaviest crosses to bear". In my opinion that is the biggest load of rubbish! Yes, God does sustain us through hard times, He even tells us that hard times will come and we need to press on and stand strong in faith but He does not look at Brenda or Rene and go "mmmm Brenda and Rene looks like my stronger children, I think today I'll give them breast cancer"....He has the heart of a father and no father wants to give his children disease or pain. He

Unfortunately we live in a world of sin and disease and it has always been there. We are all dying of something. We will all pass on from this life. No one is making it out alive. Whether we die of disease, accidents, war or old age, we can't single out one as a 'curse'. It is the fate of humanity, all living things have a life cycle. And it has nothing to do with a curse.
    You are loved, you are valued and treasured beyond measure. Shine your light, hold on to your faith. Father God has your best interest at heart in good and bad, in life and death...he will sustain you.

• Brenda5
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thank you NE. My husband and I looked up the Romans reading this morning and I think it especially helped my husband to understand that we just need to persevere and we'll be fine.