Options
2»

Comments

• Kymvass
    Kymvass Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi Holly,

Welcome to the group. Yes you are unlucky but lucky that you picked it up.

I too had no family history and just took myself to a mammogram because of friends going through it and happened to come across invasive breast cancer with 6 tumours and 2 lymph nodes impacted. 

I finish my last chemo tomorrow after 8 rounds and start radio for 6 weeks on 14 December. Double mastectomy and recon in February.

If I can provide any advice to you, it would be take each step at a time and dont look further than that if you can. Only read positive stories of outcomes like Kylie Minogue, Sally Oboemeader and Olivia Newton-John.  Try meditation (there are some great downloads for your phone to calm you and create positive thinking through treatment) and know that so many people are thinking of you and reach out to any support group (family, friends, this network etc) that suits you. And remember breast cancer is unique to everyone, I have a GP and a close friend with very similiar pathology BC as mine, so I know we are talking about similar experiences but acknowledge the differences as well.

I wish you well in your recovery. Sending you hugs and healing wishes Kym xx

• Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hello Holly.  So sorry that you had to join us but we are all here for you.  Not sure if someone has answered you on one question yet, but I can say that yes, you do feel like living someone elses life, and that feeling is normal.  I too felt like I was in this bubble and my husband and kids were living life as we knew it, but mine was paused.  I felt completely detatched and alone.  I was diagnosed at 39 with the same aggresive cancer as you and my gene test results were only done after my treatment had ended this year.  It has just come back positve for BRCA2 and I also had no family history (that I knew of) but got tested due to my young age at diagnosis and aggresiveness of my cancer.  In hind sight I would've wanted to know my gene test results before my initial surgery because I now have to go back for a 2nd mastectomy of the remaining healthy breast as well as hysterctomy.  It is a bummer that they didn't just test me before hand because they could have then taken both at the same time.  I take my hat off to you for dealing with it all while your difficult circumstances must have made it really challenging.  Hang in there girlfriend, you have plenty of support and realness here!

Virtual hugs x