Friday Update

Options
Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637
edited April 2017 in Community news and events

Hello and welcome to another Friday Update.

We have a bunch of new members. Please give a warm welcome to @Oonagh Treble, @Free Range Chick, @isabella, @Ngaire Carter, @Sheran, @Annie17, @Dandelion, @SYT, @Just Fer, @morph, @bevvzy, @Bellablor, @sandramj, @Jools, @Rubygirl, @Lucylou, @ROCK'N IT, @Josephine1957, @elle1948, @sallyevans, and all our new members.

Community highlights

Every week we have so much variety in the posts being shared on the online network.  These can include questions about treatments, updates on how things are going, and celebrating milestones. Here are some good conversations you might have missed:

News and events

Ribociclib (also known as Kisqali) is used to treat hormone receptor positive, HER2-negative metastatic breast cancer. It was recently approved for sale in the US by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). That's great for women in the US who are living with metastatic breast cancer, but we want it in Australia too! You can read more about this story here. Be sure to sign and share our petition to help get palbociclib in Australia and on the PBS.

A couple of weeks ago, about 200 delegates came to BCNA's National Summit 2017. Read all about it and see the photos here

BCNA has made a submission to a parliamentary inquiry into the life insurance industry, in support of improving insurance coverage and protections for Australians affected by breast cancer. BCNA CEO @Christine_BCNA-CEO had this to say about it:
People diagnosed with breast cancer can face up to twelve months of treatment. Many of these treatments cause debilitating side effects which can impact on their ability to remain in the workforce, significantly impacting on household income. For those living with metastatic breast cancer, treatment is lifelong. Without disability insurance, many people with breast cancer would not be able to make ends meet; significantly affecting their quality of life.Read all about it here.

Some interesting stories in the media:
Are you on social media? Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

To members in Queensland, we hope you're safe! If you're able to, please check in and let us know how you're doing.

Everyone, have a relaxing weekend. I'm looking forward to catching up on some reading. How about you?

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Thanks for the update, and thinking of us Qlders.  Fortunately I am in Cairns and so we were very fortunate when Debbie made her way south of us.  I feel for all those effected. 
    Happy Friday all.
    Paula xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Another drug we don't have yet for metastatic cancer. Disgraceful. Thanks for sharing.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Thank you Cosette. Cyclone Debbie sure packed a punch. We were feeling for the devastation of our northern Queenslanders earlier in the week and now the Gold Coast and Nthn NSW are suffering terrible flooding. Fortunately my family and I are fine but wishing all the best to those whose homes are under threat of flooding tonight.  Jane xx