Do you have a work colleague that supported you after your breast cancer diagnosis?

Options

Hi everyone 

We
are developing an information hub on BCNA's website, focusing on work-related
issues after a breast cancer diagnosis. We would like to include some
personal stories from colleagues of people that have been diagnosed with breast
cancer, that we can publish on our website, or in BCNA publications.

These stories can provide other colleagues with new ideas
and perspectives on how they can support someone diagnosed with breast cancer
during their return to, or continuation of their work.

If you know someone that is interested in sharing their
story, please ask them to email it to contact@bcna.org.au. Stories should be about half a page long (200-300 words), and the person
may remain anonymous if they wish.  

Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @primek
    @melclarity thought of you ladies as I know you either worked or returned to work from BC 

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hmmm not sure I can really help with that, as I work for the Dept of Education and is a Government body also. As part of my income protection I had an OT who did an assessment and who liased with me of her recommendations in returning to work especially after my Mastectomy/diep flap recon. There were specifics that were listed for terms of me resuming by the OT and to be honest? we had to scrap it as the Principals attitude was you are either back in full capacity or not at all. So wasnt pleasant or accommodating I was an ES in an Autism Specific School at the time. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @melclarity That really sucks! I'm not back at work yet (public school) but my colleagues, managers, and principal have been incredibly supportive since the beginning so I'm really hoping that will continue when I return.

• melclarity
    Options
    @Sister I do have to say post treatment they were very accommodating as I dropped to 3 days a week, but she wasn't when it came to the specifics of my role. Having said that my immediate boss was strategic and my fellow ES would cover situations and keep me away that were dangerous.  
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Joannie yes I think so, I couldnt deal with severe behaviours anymore for fear of being knocked. I couldnt have an office job so I stuck it out in 2017 after 7yrs and as I was moving to Berwick one side of the city to another, I applied in mainstream. Leadership know and are fantastic, I work full time there but go figure Im in charge of ES in the School which is 12 and am teaching their behaviour management. I love it but bit stressful without the supports of a Special School. 

If you can get the office job, Id recommend it for the interim anyway, 2.5yrs post chemo Im so proud Ive managed 5 months now at full time, challenging yes but school hours I can do it. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Joannie I had a giggle! my job was very challenging, demanding and dangerous, and I worked it through 2 bouts of breast Cancer whoops! I'm 50 so even I struggle at times LOL, ohhhh the noise, not when I enter though haha! I'm with Preps and they run riot unless they are taught respect. Yes strangely it was a kind of promotion? for an ES :D but ummmm show me the money. Will see what her plan is next year as she was wanting to give me a different position which carried more money as everyone knows an ES does not work for the money. Whoa!!! 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I'd be happy to help. I had a return to work plan to help with planning duties rtc and my cancer care coordinator spoje with my manager when I felt I couldn't. I do peer support with someone in same organsation but different department. My support for her is about SURVIVORSHIP not work issues. 

Perhaps if you set out a format of what you would like us to include so we are addressing the purpose of it. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Joannie ohhh I agree, you should be looking to retire, I also will never ever be able to retire...as BC ruined me financially plus the low wage of an ES coupled with a divorce and raising 2 children who are off my hands alot more now. Uuugh 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Joannie I'm in a position now I will never be able to purchase again, which saddens me greatly, I'd sooner a mortgage and have my own place :( I've had 3 houses but thats in the past. 

Yes I doubt I'll manage either but hopefully life will turn around as it does sometimes :) x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options