Countdown to chemo, fearing changes to my body

Options
Mer
Mer Member Posts: 2
Hi to this wonderful group of people who face challenges every day. I was diagnosed with double positive, (ER+, PR+, HER2-) late November, having had a bilateral mastectomy, right axillary clearance which found 1 and a fraction of nodal involvement and full reconstruction mid December. I chose to have a bilateral after being told there was no option for a lumpectomy . I’m recovering well physically by the beach side with my young children but now am dreading chemo and all that it will bring as I’m starting this on the 23rd January. In 4 sleeps! My greatest concerns are looking unwell and losing my hair (I will be trying the cool cap but have been told that success is only at 20% for my type of chemo), my eyebrows and eyelashes and also the physical effects on my body. I’ve always looked after my body and it has proven it be my temple.  I love exercise and feeling strong. I’m not vain but dread looking sick. I know that chemo is treatment against free floaters and that I will do but I’m just feeling blue. 

Comments

• Jual
    Jual Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Mer,

Waiting for the chemo is not great and a bit of a roller coaster but my experience of chemo has been very manageable, in fact the first one has probably been the "worst" as I didn't know what to expect or what the side effects meant! Fortunately being proactive with things to make sure the bowels keep moving, some mild pain relief for the aches and claratyne regularly for the week of chemo has meant it has all been much better each cycle and I now only have one to go. I exercised all the way through and in fact found a walk each day even if I felt a bit flat very restorative and helpful. I have also continued some weight training, occasional exercise classes and yoga. I even did a HIIT class one day and some aerobics! 

As to looking sick - everyone looks surprised and tells me how well I look and they seem very genuine!! In fact I think the expectation is very different to the reality. 

I realise that losing hair is very traumatic for many people but I had a different experience and like some others found it very liberating!! It gave me the opportunity to try some shorter and different styles that I would have never been game to try with long blonde hair before all this. Eyebrows and eye lashes have thinned out but are still hanging in there and I fill them out with some Model Co more brows that I saw someone else had recommended. The Look Good Feel Better Workshops run by the Cancer Council are excellent. They also demo some wigs on women with no hair and you cannot tell they are wigs, they are brilliant so that might be a good strategy for you too. Not having hair and wearing a head scarf does mean of course generally people know something is up but I can mostly ignore this and it doesn't bother me but on some days I did wish I could fly under the radar like I used to. 

All the best, it will get better, regards Jual
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    We fully understand the dread, everyone feels apprehensive about chemo - it does not have a good press! Unfortunately there is not much way of knowing how it will affect you until you start. I don't think anyone would have known I was having treatment unless I told them. I looked perfectly well - lost my hair, wore a wig. One person with a good knowledge of cancer remarked how lucky I was not to lose my hair! I worked throughout. But others find it much harder. Your temple unfortunately has had invaders - you hope you've got shot of them, but wisely you are doing everything you can to make sure! I know it's a bit extreme for a health regime, but try looking at it that way instead of a loss or a setback. There will be good days and bad days, but every day you are closer to your goal. Best wishes
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Chemo doesn't necessarily make you look sick. You may have some sick days, but, depending what treatment you are having, there is every chance your skin will look fantastic, the general clean up of diets and compulsive water drinking does wonders. Not a recommendation by any means, but my first chemo experience in 2006 when I was 43 and fit as fiddle was bearable. 

I won't spoil the story by going into how that changed when I had to do it all again last year, but don't expect disaster. Sounds like you are going to do it anyway, wait and see what happens. Margxxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Good point, improved my skin no end - and it stayed improved! Over the top way of doing but.....look for the positives!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well I was determined to not look sick so off I trotted with my sister to the local pharmacy. Im not much of a majeup wearer so all new to me. I bought a great CC cream from oil of olay (but still use a moisuriser under it) a revlon consealer stick. Eyebrow pendils to mstch my colour. Light brown coloured eye liner. A great peachy coloured blush from natos and a beutral lipstick and good poder. If you can afford estee lauder are beautiful. I also bought eye comour in various brown shades. 

I never went out without my face done but quite frankly got sick of people telling me I looked well (when I often felt like crap) . Haha.

I couldn't do my eyebrows so I had them tatooed (by professional experienced makup tattooist)  before they were gone. Between AC and taxol regime. Eyelashes lasted to the end. I just drew lower line on eyes and with eyeshadow it looked fine. I couldn't put a line on eyelid as it looked like someone drew all over me. 

I hated my wig but did get one just in case. I bought lots of lovely caps, scarves etc and coordinated with outfits. 

Photo...last day of chemo. (I whacked on lots of weight...but certainly fooled anyone that I was feeling dreadful)

Also. A month or so  on with some hair and glasses off. 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Oh...this thread is good. Many hospitals have wig libraries. Your bc nurse would have info. Also just google chemo hats...and lots of links come up. Hatshow and hathouse both great. Once winter I just went to wollen loose caps with a bamboo wig liner underneath for protection. 

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/16056/wigs/p1
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Mer

I think chemo is probably the most daunting fear at the beginning. It scares the heck out of most of us.
     My aim was to come out looking pretty much the same as when I started.  You may feel a bit crappy some days but you probably wont look sick.  
    What chemo are you having?  I used the cold caps and it worked very well with AC and Paclitaxel. If you want any info on cold capping, products etc just send me a pm and I can give you some tips.

The first photo is of me and my daughters xmas day 2016.  14days after chemo number 1  and my profile picture is nearing the end of radiation treatment at the end of July 2017.

• Mer
    Mer Member Posts: 2
    Options

kezmusc said:

Hi @Mer

I think chemo is probably the most daunting fear at the beginning. It scares the heck out of most of us.
     My aim was to come out looking pretty much the same as when I started.  You may feel a bit crappy some days but you probably wont look sick.  
    What chemo are you having?  I used the cold caps and it worked very well with AC and Paclitaxel. If you want any info on cold capping, products etc just send me a pm and I can give you some tips.

The first photo is of me and my daughters xmas day 2016.  14days after chemo number 1  and my profile picture is nearing the end of radiation treatment at the end of July 2017.
    Thanks Kezmusc, it’s good to hear your experience was ok. I could not see the second photo. I’m having AC for 4 rounds every 3 weeks and then taxol weekly  for 12 rounds. I’m not sure how to Pm you but would appreciate any info you have on cool caps. From what I hear it’s all about the fit. 

Jual said:

Hi Mer,

Waiting for the chemo is not great and a bit of a roller coaster but my experience of chemo has been very manageable, in fact the first one has probably been the "worst" as I didn't know what to expect or what the side effects meant! Fortunately being proactive with things to make sure the bowels keep moving, some mild pain relief for the aches and claratyne regularly for the week of chemo has meant it has all been much better each cycle and I now only have one to go. I exercised all the way through and in fact found a walk each day even if I felt a bit flat very restorative and helpful. I have also continued some weight training, occasional exercise classes and yoga. I even did a HIIT class one day and some aerobics! 

As to looking sick - everyone looks surprised and tells me how well I look and they seem very genuine!! In fact I think the expectation is very different to the reality. 

I realise that losing hair is very traumatic for many people but I had a different experience and like some others found it very liberating!! It gave me the opportunity to try some shorter and different styles that I would have never been game to try with long blonde hair before all this. Eyebrows and eye lashes have thinned out but are still hanging in there and I fill them out with some Model Co more brows that I saw someone else had recommended. The Look Good Feel Better Workshops run by the Cancer Council are excellent. They also demo some wigs on women with no hair and you cannot tell they are wigs, they are brilliant so that might be a good strategy for you too. Not having hair and wearing a head scarf does mean of course generally people know something is up but I can mostly ignore this and it doesn't bother me but on some days I did wish I could fly under the radar like I used to. 

All the best, it will get better, regards Jual

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Mer

I have sent you a pm. The second photo is the one on my profile (the picture you can see on here).

• Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi @Mer, I can certainly relate. I think I am vain :). I hated the thought of people seeing me sick - I'm Big Bad Bec, I don't do sick or weak ( BBB my nickname at work - I'm like 5'2 and 50kg so ok it's a stretch ...). I found losing my hair liberating. Really!  But now it's growing back since finishing treatment it's an absolute nightmare. I found losing all my eyebrows and eyelashes very hard. I looked like an alien. But you know, the days you're really sick you just don't go out then the days you do you're so happy to be out I could care less what I looked like. 
    Thinking of you - the days before starting are nerve racking. But we know you can do this - we did!  I'm happy to report I'm in love with my new eyebrows and eyelashes!  But my hair still naff :( lucky it's cap weather!  Best wishes, Bec xxxx