Practical Considerations

Options
Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
Hi,

Immediately post-surgery, I've got a couple of questions that I'm hoping that you lovely ladies can share your experience on.  (Not being exclusive, but I don't think the blokes are likely to have much to say about these):

1. Depilation under the arm.  I've had axillary dissection and at the moment I'm bandaged up and can barely lift my arm up so not about to do anything yet.  Previously, I used a wet razor but the surgeon seemed a bit concerned about that.  I'm interested to know what others do: electric shaver, cream, wax?  and are there any issues (hot wax and lymphodaema?)

2. Prosthestics.  At the moment, I've got a soft form but in a few weeks the bra lady is going to fit me for a prosthesis.  Given the price of them, I want to get it right.  I know that there is a rebate but I don't want to waste it.  I'm happy to go about braless where it doesn't matter but I also don't want to be stared at in public.  I'm only a C-cup but it is still noticeable so I think I'll want to get something.  I hate feeling constricted and, while better, even the crop top ah bra type things I find annoying.  I do think that I will want a prosthesis for swimming, though (and that'll also mean bathers that cost more than Target).  Any advice on the types of prosthesis for both everyday and for swimming would be appreciated.

I'm sure more things will come to mind as I work through this.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    If you have numbness under the arm (likely with axillary surgery) you will probably not be able to distinguish hot and cold very well. So I would stay away from hot wax until some of the senses return. The major issue with lymphoedema is the risk of infection if you get a cut or wound to the affected part. If you don't have lymphoedema, I doubt if shaving will cause it, but cream may be safer all round. Regarding a prosthesis, the fitter will probably have preferred makes. Most frequent swimmers get a prosthesis especially for swimming. I don't swim a lot and have used a synthetic pad quite happily on holiday. For a small cup, you may very well be able to make a pocket in the breast section of your preferred swimwear, modelled on a prosthesis bra. Best wishes. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    hi @Sister
    OK 
    1. if you begin chemo soon forget about hair removal .... CHEMO will likely be your tool...... I had no hair for about 2 years after finishing chemo on the axillary side ... I wax have no reaction to the hot wax treatment (I do go to a professional beautician) also I often have 1 Hair    YES just 1 hair 6/8 weeks later and she plucks if while waxing elsewhere... but we are all different you might get more regrowth of underarm hair after chemo. the reason for razors being frowned upon is risk of nicking yourself (numb underarm) and infections.

2. There are prosthestics for both everyday use and swimming.
    You could look at knitted knockers for wearing in a swimming bathers and sew it in? 
    http://www.knittedknockersaustralia.com/   you can get a free set of knitted knockers. 
    If you have health insurance they might also cover your prostheses. 
    Hope this helps I didnot and donot wear anything I am happy being flat 
    soldiercrab 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Ok. The swimming prosthesis are cheaper. Have a look at these. And also some great cheaper version front clip bras are on this site.that I still wear exercising as I don't really need super support since recobstruction. 

https://www.erilan.com.au/collections/mastectomy-prostheses?page=2

Target did have some front zip bathers that had pockets so you never know. I bought this one from speedo though in expectation I'd need a breast form (I didn't ). It was apparently designed by someone who had a mastectomy and radiotherapy and didn't want too much on show. 

http://www.swimmer.com.au/speedo-black-spirit-womens-one-piece-swimsuit.htm

http://www.swimmer.com.au/speedo-spirit-turbo-stradbroke-womens-one-piece

http://www.swimmer.com.au/speedo-spirit-turbo-frosted-fire-womens-one-piece

Also...a shelf bra type might be suitable also but you might need to try on. My pool sells them so you can look. But this might be suitsble as it has shaped cups inserted so you could utilize the pocket to secure the prostheses. 
    Although I believe some aqua ones adhere to you...so as long as a suitable tight shelf bra one might cut it.

http://www.swimmer.com.au/zoggs-renaissance-womens-one-piece

http://www.swimmer.com.au/zoggs-cairns-sirenetta-womens-one-piece

I've never worn a prosthesis so I'm sure other ladies will provide more detailed advise as will your fitter.

The speedo and zoggs range are very good quality and if cared for properly will last for years with no fading in chlorine. I get 2 to 3 years usually. 

Kath x
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    Hi @Sister
    I have used both the Amoena prosthesis and the Trulife ones.  As per a previous post by me, (I think I titled it ''comfy prosthesis'') the Trulife Silk one is very comfortable and as it has a cotton pocket to use it is good for those of us who get hot and sweaty.
    It has a great feel, sort of as if it is filled with baby powder on the back, so it fills any roughness from one's scarring.  I am a C cup and my scar is uneven.
    Hope this helps.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hey there @sister. My local charity has spare prosthetics I gave mine to them as I didn’t like them they were hot heavy and gave me a rash. They have others too If you like I can ask them about what they have. Mine were a c cup I think let me know as I’m going there tomorrow. I can always send you a set  if they have any or they have the crocheted knockers too that they give away for free so I can get you a set of those too if you want ? That’s the ones I wear now. And you have to pay up front for the prosthetics they are around $400 each and then you have to wait a couple weeks for the rebate from Medicare.   and as for the swimmers I had a tankini and I had a lady sew in a pair into the tankini (she custom makes swim wear and put similar to what you use in push up bras) so I don’t have to even wear any prosthetics it means when I’m in the surf I don’t have to worry about them moving around or falling out.  They are based in Agnes Water qld but she ships Australia wide. Her business is called beach buddies 07 4974 7055. Her name is deb. She made my custom made tankini and bottoms and it cost around $100 but it was money well spent. It’s still in great condition and is great quality. Let me know just PM me. Margie xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I have used an Amoena prosthetic for 4 years - no problem as far as I am concerned although I know some in more tropical climates (I am in Melbourne!) find them a bit hot. Put in and forget. If I weren't an E cup, I'd certainly try going without, although not because the prosthesis is uncomfortable. But I'd look a bit obviously lop sided, and it would do nothing for the hang of my clothes! Personally, once I got rid of the sloshing noise of a ridiculously large seroma every time I bent over, nothing breast wise has been much of a problem! Cross fingers.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    I am also a c-cup. I had a single mastectomy nearly 5 years ago. While I have a proper prosthesis, I rarely wear it. I have an Amoena Aqua Wave swimming prosthesis (much cheaper than the $400 ones) which I wear almost all the time both for swimming and in my sports bras. I just find it works best for me. I swim a lot and have a couple of mastectomy swimsuits which I bought soon after surgery. They are still in very good condition despite almost daily use in summer. They were expensive but I have well and truly got my money’s worth. I only wear the more expensive prosthesis occasionally but this might just be my casual, active lifestyle.

As you can see, different situations for each of us and what suits one person might not work for everyone. Take care. xxx
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I have an Amoena prosthesis which was $400.00 & fully rebated by Medicare. I bought a Tankini the other day & the sales person told me I could wear the same prosthesis in that if I was swimming occasionally otherwise a prosthesis specially for swimming would cost about $150.00.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.  Some great info!  Gaye
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi @sister I replied to your message. Margie x