Removal of implants

Options
TinaW
TinaW Member Posts: 153
Hello. It's been a few yrs since I've been on here for advice and support. I'm currently on my 3rd set of implants after my diagnosis and double mastectomy in 2013. Unfortunetly my left implant is again causing me a lot of pain and I have a 2.5cm lump which the scan shows it as a possible haematoma. It constantly gives me pain which is getting progressively worse along with the seroma around the implant. It's been again confirmed as capsular contracture. My options are to replace the implant with another although I've already got a polytech textured implant in, have the fat etc removed from my tummy or back to create a new left boob or remove them both. After 13 surgeries over the last nearly 4 yrs I've thought long and hard and decided to get them removed. I have a few questions if anyone can help. I believe it's still quite major surgery plus drains...has anyone had this done? Also I contacted a local support group on the Gold Coast for advice on what to expect and prosthetics/just simple day to day managing without boobs if that makes sense but no one got back to me so any advice would be great thank you. I'm 45 and work in an office so just the practicalities etc. thank you

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi Tina, 
    I'm on my third set. The first ones migrated to my armpits and the second set moved up and became so distorted and encapsulated they had to be replaced. These ones are also encapsulated and driving me bonkers, they have also been repositioned. Like you, multiple surgeries, in my case over ten years.

I asked my surgeon about removing them when I had  surgery for a recurrence last year. He was pretty cagey about it. In the end it seemed that given the amount of scarring in the 'pockets' he was concerned about what my body may do to fill the cavities which will be substantial. I also do world class seroma.  He's not convinced getting rid of the intruders will stop the pain and thinks it could make things worse. I've still got my nipples, but gravity has dragged them down until they are hanging on the bottom of my foobs and the excess skin means I have more wrinkles on my chest than a bloody Sharpai dog. That would all have to be tidied up and the cavities debrided in the hope he can get them to stick together. Sounds horrible and I have no enthusiasm for it.

I've got problems with disolvable stitches and some pretty disturbing scars -- even the one where my port was removed three months ago is still angry and lumpy-- so the thought of more reconstruction makes my blood run cold.

Maybe I should go and get another opinion, but I'm just exhausted by the whole thing. Marg.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Heartbreaking for both of you @TinaW and @Zoffiel - can't think what to say to make you feel better without being soppy, and that doesn't cut it in this instance.  You need practical down to earth advice and hopefully there is someone out here that has been through similar and can let you know how they come out of it.  My implant is stable and I have pangs of pain but they keep reassuring me it is still the nerves settling.  I assume you mean the cavity will always fill and you'll need constant lymphatic drainage!  What a so and so!  Take care 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi @TinaW doesn't it piss you off, just when you think you have got it sorted out and you have problem after problem.
    I am down on the waiting list for a DIEP flap reconstruction (right side only) 
    I have a friend who has just gone through this operation.
    You do need to see a plastic surgeon and be assessed. You will need a CT angiogram to see where the blood vessels are in your abdomen to see if they are suitable.
    Whether you can do two breasts with your skin and fat depends on how much you have in your abdomen, I never thought having a saggy belly would be an advantage!
    My blood vessels are a bit high and a bit small, so mine will have to take a bit of the muscle too. The PS says he hopes not too much but won't really know until he gets in there.
    It does mean quite some time off work, 7 days in hospital, but my PS makes sure the drains are out before you go home.
    Recoverywise, no driving for 3 weeks, no excercise except walking for at least 6, and you will be unable to do stuff like carry washing baskets and hang out washing or cleaning for a while, due to the stomach stitches. Bonus is that you get a nice flat tummy.

I have only just got my prosthesis and have only worn it for a week, I can't wear it at the moment as I am going through radiation, I am only wearing the soft one that came with the Berlei care kit.
    The real prosthesis is very comfortable, but then I haven't worn it in summer, some people say they are very hot. Not great if you are also having hot flushes and live in Brisbane.
    What I find an absolute pain is having to wash it every night and having to change it in the bras everytime. I only have 1, not sure if I could cope with doing 2. 
    The other thing that sends me into deep depression is having to buy the mastectomy bras.
    I have discovered a lady that has a wonderful selection of them and comes to the house to fit you, but they are expensive, none of this picking up bras on special or at the sales, and very few shops sell them.
    Dont try buying them online unless you have already had that brand and style as they are all different. Every style I tried on sat differently and I had various sizes.

The advantage to 2 prosthesis, you can choose your size!

Mine does look look very natural though and sits nicely.
    Though I have heard some people say they can move around and they are always hitching them back into place. Not sure if that was the bra they were using at fault there though.

I have always had large breasts which I hated, so the idea of having a flat chest does not concern me especially as I am a horse rider and no bounce is a plus. But other ladies would hate the idea.
    Unfortunately though I still have one breast, so reconstruction is the best option for me.

It is probably best if you see a plastic surgeon and have the CT scan before you go, they will give you all the information about the operation (about 10 hours for a double) and have a good look at the photos on the reconstruction group here.
    The results are different from implants, but if you still have your skin it might give you a nicer look.

It is a major operation, and you might not feel like going there again.

If you don't have to keep your skin for reconstruction, you can try the prosthesis for a while, Medicare covers the cost of them, and you can decide if you can live with it.
    You can have the DIEP flap at any time as long as you are suitable, you don't have to rush that decision, and if you are going public, you will have to wait anyway.

Good luck finding your best option. Jennie

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Holy shit. I’m still at least a year away from seeing a surgeon in the public system for reconstruction in Brisbane and I had a double mastectomy last year. I have the chicken fillet prosthetics from Tracey G on the Sunshine Coast but I’ve found them a bit hot and sweaty in the summer so I have these cute little crocheted ones that I got given through my local bc support group and prefer them. They are softer and a lot lighter. I just use the Kmart sports bras as they are the most comfy for me. I hate the bras specially made for the prosthetics. I’m still procrastinating about whether i want more surgery, pain, and discomfort and yours @TinaW and @Zoffiel posts make me think twice about it all again. Although I know there’s been some really good success stories too. I certainly don’t mind now not having boobs and am fine with the prosthetics and i never wear them at home and only wear them out so I don’t get the pity stares. Of course I would of rather still have my own boobs but I’m in two minds again about the recon. I think if I’d already had that many surgeries I’d be getting them out for good too. Margie x
  • TinaW
    Options

Thank you all :) I didn't sleep a wink last night thinking about it all.  Zoffiel its sad to hear you are also having major issues with your implants.  I absolutely love my surgeon and trust him 100%.  He gave me so many options and also explained that I could still experience pain without the implants but after weeks of consideration I still feel like I want them out for good.  My understanding is that i wouldnt really have any pockets left and thats why the surgery takes so long as they take time to remove everything, which then leaves you really flat but im ok with that.  Whilst the other surgeries will give me my boobs, the boobs have almost become insignificant, its more the thought of more surgery years down the track and every year im getting a bit older and the risks higher.  I had a pulmonary embolism in 2010 from surgery and it frightens the life out of me every time I go under. This way. whilst nothing is 100% guaranteed, its certainly the lowest risk for the need for further surgery.  Yes my surgeon was also reluctant when I told him I wanted to go with the removal of both implants, I think he thought Id go for the tummy tuck option as I am carrying some extra love handles around my mid section haha and if this had have been given to me after my first set started heading north then I would have gone for this option, ive always wanted a flat tummy!  I just cant bear the thought of such major surgery again, I really feel like enough is enough.  Onemargie, I hope you get a date soon.  I went private and due to my out of pockets being quite small weve been able to manage, again that's down to my surgeon and anaesthetist, who have been just great.  It sounds like I need to explore the chicken fillets...thanks ladies for all your posts, im booked in for the op a week today so its going to be a long week.

Much love to you all xx

• iserbrown
    Options
    @TinaW good luck with it all and come on here and natter or vent or whatever, we are here to help you air those frustrations without judgment.  Take care and wishing you great success with surgery!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Before we put the frighteners on anyone who is thinking about implant reconstruction, I think it's worth remembering that an overwhelming majority of women cope very well with them.

I'm absolutely covered in low level keloid scars. I heal very quickly, initially, but I end up with raised lumpy tissue over the injury. This is a bit strange, as the people most likely to develop scars like this are of African, Asian, Latino or Indigenous heritage. I'm very much of white European stock, as far as I know, and no-one else in my family has the same response..

I've had some robust discussions with my surgeon who is, reluctantly, coming around to my philosophy that it pays to look at how someone has healed in the past as an indicator of how they may respond to this sort of  surgery. My body goes spacco and attacks any foreign body. It took me years to get over having my ears pierced. Dissolvable stiches don't.  So inflammatory responses should not come as a great surprise when you shove a couple of kilos of silicon under my pecs.

The issue of them moving is interesting. I'm (still) quite muscular and prior to my first recon I was able to do dozens of pushups and could hay cart with the boys. It's been suggested that I just squeezed them out. Even now if I flex I can feel them squashing flat  which feels weird and creepy. I popped my initial expanders into my armpits a week after my 2MX, and wandered around with what looked like sandwich bags full of water just under my skin for nearly a fortnight. It was Xmas 2006 and all the grown ups had gone on holidays and the minions didn't want to believe what blind Freddy could see.  I gather they now use a mesh sling that should prevent things like that happening.

I regret the retreads, but how are you supposed to know if it will be Ok or make your life miserable? Phffft.

• iserbrown
    Options
    Giggle, giggle!  When I was in hospital with my expander in place, the process they put you through; well before the finished implant, I can remember laughing at myself in the mirror as I cleaned my teeth I could see my pec muscle moving.  Now with the finished product I can flex the muscle into making the implant look like I am trying to hide it!  More importantly I can get my left arm back up my back to meet the other arm from the top and clasp the hands so I am pleased with that!  I guess we just need to treat these new implants as party tricks!  Let's face it they are for when you are dressed and no one notices that it's not real! 

I can't comprehend why some will go and get implants to make themselves larger for vanity!  Golly gosh!

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @SoldierCrab I think you could discuss life as flat and fabulous. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Hi there @TinaW, I choose no reconstruction  I had large 20EE breasts and had a bilateral Mastectomy in Oct 2012. I have a group on facebook called Breast Cancer and Beyond https://www.facebook.com/groups/bcnoffaaduaustralia/ we have mainly Australian members who have chosen at various times and for various reasons no reconstruction or removal of the implants etc. 
    I personally have an allergy list as long as the Darling River so for me it was my best option.  I go flat 100% of the time 
    I am comfortable in my own body.  I wear tops that are busy around the chest area and no one notices that I have no Boobs. 
    Knitted Knockers are great if you want soft inserts and they are washable and free to those who have had BC. 
    Tina you need to do what you believe is right for your body. 
    Happy to chat in Private inbox if you want to. 
    hugs 
    SoldierCrab aka Alice 

• TinaW
    Options
    Thanks Alice, I've just sent a join request.  
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @melclarity could you share or link Tina to your posts about your reconstruction etc..... please 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Thanks Alice, @TinaW are you linked to the Breast Reconstruction Group? here's the link if you aren't http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/1-choosing-breast-reconstruction

Tina, I'm sorry to hear of the many operations you've had to go through and the trouble with the implants, I honestly cannot imagine!! I've been on this road since 2011 with my first diagnosis and a recurrence same breast in 2015. This year I underwent a single mastectomy/diep flap reconstruction. I wasn't able to have an implant due to having radiation in 2011, he also didn't recommend it and prefers the diep flap. Yes it was a massive op as I had it done all in one, about 8hrs. Was a big recovery too I admit. But honestly, I couldnt be happier with the result, I also underwent the revision late July, so have a nipple reconstructed and a right breast lift with great symmetry. I remember my Surgeon saying that if I had an implant Id have to have another op around 10yrs. Uuuugh what I like is, this is it, I don't need any surgery on that breast now. Thing is I really struggled with the thought of a mastectomy, but I have really been happy with where I am. You can see my story in the Group from before and after. Hugs Melinda xo
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    @TinaW, I remember you from our breast reconstruction group, I think we had our recons around the same time. I had a bilateral TRAM. You are right it is a big surgery, but also doable. I am so very sorry your implants did not work out for you. Did you have radiation?  I know that can be an issue. I totally get why you have reached a point where you just want the implants out.  I would be the same. I wish you all the best with your op next week. Many people like @SoldierCrab don’t have recons. The thing with recons is that it is always something you can revisit down the track if you want.  I had my recon  2 1/2 Year’s after my mastectomy. 
    You have been through so much. Sending you lots of love and hugs, and all the best next week. 
    Paula xxxxi
  • TinaW
    Options
    THanks Melinda.  I'm glad you are happy with your results and where you are at, it's good to hear . Wow Paula yes I remember you how are you?  Yes it's a bit of a bugger but also a relief it's finally coming to an end...hopefully xx