Embarrassing smelly armpit!

Options
Fionap2017
Fionap2017 Member Posts: 64
Hi ladies! A month ago I was diagnosed with BC and in all the craziness of the last few weeks with appointments, scans, tests and 2 surgeries this website has been wonderful. Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences, you've amswered many of my questions through your posts and made all this a little less daunting. 

I do have one embarrassing little problem that I haven't found much info on. Since my surgeries to remove the lump and my lymph nodes I have a terribly smelly armpit and so far all the washing I'm doing isn't helping. My hubby says he hasn't noticed it but I'm very conscious of it. I've used very little deodorant as my scars haven't quite healed yet so I thought I should avoid it. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Perhaps any particular soaps or deodorants that are especially good? Thanks in advance!  :)

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Moo goo deodorant 
  • Vallerina
    Vallerina Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi fiona I definitely experienced this and it was very weird. I hadnt needed deodorant for around 15 years prior and suddenly i was very smelly under both arms even tho i had only right side matectomy.  I didnt have any stitches in my actual  armpit so i used a mild  rollon deodorant. The good news is i am 6 months down the track and the problem seems to have gone away. I hope urs is temporary too. X
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Sounds weird but my friends italian Mum who is 91 uses cut lemon under her arm. When you think about it...it stops bacterial growth naturally and when you sweat you smell nice. It's not an antiperspirant as such but would help with odour. The moogoo or dove sensitive...avoiding the actual scar would probably be a good option to try. Kath x
  • Nannatash
    Nannatash Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I had smelly armpit to it will do wen everything heals I use natural deodrant roll on x
  • Cynth6
    Cynth6 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    I was wondering if we could use deodorant after surgery. I haven't just in case. But do we need to avoid ones with aluminium or something like that ?
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I didn't experience this, but most probably due to the healing process, how long ago was the surgery? I agree that I think it will settle down, can always ask your Breast Care Nurse maybe? 

@cynth6 you can use deoderant after surgery, its just individual I guess. In term so aluminium free, they recommend this for anyone doing radiotherapy, so back then I used Crystal. I do try and stay with natural ones now but again up to you. xx
  • Cynth6
    Cynth6 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Ah okay thanks for clearing that up for me @melclarity
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    My radiation oncologist recommends crystal deodorant or Moogoo deodorant. I guess it would be the same for post surgery.
  • Fionap2017
    Fionap2017 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help- I bought the moo goo deodorant and it worked wonders! 
  • Laurie777
    Laurie777 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm 10 years post surgery and the armpit where my lymph glands were taken has a much stronger odour than the other. since surgery I use an anti bac soap and a good deodorant but during summer I use deodorant after shower at night as well as in the morning after shower, due to the stinky armpit thing. I asked my lymphoma Physio but she said she hadn't heard of it.