Bilateral Lat Dorsi Flaps

Options
Hello, I'm new to this and overwhelmed by the journey ahead. My mother died of breast cancer at 49 and it's been nearly 20 years since I've had to face this issue so intensely. I've been recently diagnosed with DCIS, I've decided to go with a double mastectomy with skin sparing, implants and immediate reconstruction. I've been offered a technique with placing the implant (expander) under the pectoral muscle which is joined with the Lat Dorsi Flap. They don't take the skin to reposition the muscle, it's pulled through from the breast incision. Has anyone had this technique and or experienced the alternate Lat Dorsi Flap? I'm concerned about the recovery and how it will limit my physical movements in the future. Can anyone offer some guidance

Comments

• nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Hi @gailforce_75, so sorry to have you join us but a warm welcome all the same. I haven't had what you are having however there is a Choosing Breast Reconstruction group on here also where you may get a quicker answer to your question. Just go to the Groups tag up the top of the page and request to join. I hope that all goes well for you with your upcoming surgery and treatment. Best wishes xx Lesley 
  • gailforce_75
    gailforce_75 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you Lesley, I'll do as you have suggested and see where that takes me xx
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @gailforce_75

Welcome to you, sorry to hear of your Mum and your diagnosis. Here is the link to the Breast Reconstruction Group, it is a private group and has alot of photo stories from Members with reconstructions of all sorts that you may find helpful. @alexinbrisbane I think may have had this reconstruction. 

I had a single Mastectomy/diep flap recon in late Feb this year. My Mum had BC at 40 but survived 26yrs with just a single mastectomy. I had DCIS 2011, rads and tamoxifen 4yrs then a recurrence same spot same breast in 2015. So then had Chemo and on Aromasin after Arimidex seemed to cause me alot of side effects. I chose the mastectomy a year after treatment reluctantly, but love my reconstruction, I just had my revision surgery also which was massive but am happy with the result of the breast lift on the right too plus nipple recon. 

Pop over to there I'm sure they're will be ladies who can help. Hugs Melinda xo
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Hahaha!!! thanks Nikki, I forgot to add it x
  • CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Hi gailforce75 I had a Lat Dorsi a couple of years ago....I don't call it a reconstruction as it was a repair for previous surgery; aside from that sordid ongoing tale...... The restriction as far as movement goes for me is pulling myself up to get into our very tall 4wd vehicles or trying to close the garage roller door. It is the pulling down from above my head......like doing a chin up (not that I do that !!)   & I was told that this would be an issue. It is uncomfortable when I get into the truck, just feels a bit tight round from the back & under my arm. I wouldn't say there is any pain involved with the movement though.
    Best of luck 
    Carmel
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @gailforce_75 I had the more traditional LD reconstruction with an implant. It was quite painful where they cut the muscle and where the drains were. I'm happy with the results, but ended up in hospital for about 12 days with complications. Had a reduction on the right to balance it all up. If I could have just had an implant, I would have. All the best. x 
  • gailforce_75
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks CarmelS, very helpful. Did you have an implant under the pectoral muscle first, is that what needed to be repaired?
  • gailforce_75
    Options
    Thank you LucyE. That's my dilemma, should I put myself through all that, when I could be quite happy with an implant only.
  • CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    Options
    I had an immediate recon with implant at time of mastectomy. But it was only decided half way through chemo that I also needed radiation so I ended up with really bad contracture & have had lots of surgeries to replace implant, to try & improve shape, then the lat dorsi was to repair a large wound that didn't heal.....as I said, it's a 6 year long & sordid tale......& it continues
    Carmel
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @gailforce_75 there's a great organisation called Reclaim Your Curves which you could google. They are great. A lot of surgery is complication free. My cousin had a bilateral mastectomy with implants and is really happy with the results. I definitely feel more like my old self after reconstruction. @CarmelS Carmel, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough time with it all. It must be stressful dragging out that long. 
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Hi @gailforce_75, hopefully you have joined the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group here - thanks @nikkid for putting in the link. We have had quite a few members who have had a Lat Dorsi reconstruction and so there are a number of photo stories available to read in that group. 

Thanks to to @LucyE for suggesting Reclaim Your Curves. RYC was set up by Louise Turner (who started the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group here) to specifically inform and support women going through / considering reconstruction and there are a few ways to get support:

1) Check out the website - specifically the info on Lat Dorsi reconstructions here: https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/latissimus-dorsi-flap.html
    2) Join the RYC Facebook group - there are many members from here who are also members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/reclaimyourcurves/
    3) Come along to a support group lunch - we have informal get togethers in various locations, run by our peer support volunteers: https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/ryc-peer-support-lunches.html

Hope this helps. Hopefully see you in one of the groups soon :)   Jane xx
  • gailforce_75
    Options
    Thanks @Jane221, I have joined the group and posted. Thank you also for the additional links, I'll keep reading....