Bone density

Options
Robynw
Robynw Member Posts: 19
Hello ladies! I don't post on here much anymore ,but I wanted to share something with you tonight:)I am almost 4 years post mastectomy and chemo,and 3 years since my advanced osteoporosis diagnosis.Since my osteo diagnosis,I have tried really hard to exercise EVERY day,eat all the things that are supposed to help me,and I have  had prolia injections.I have also taken supplements that I have chosen myself,after doing a lot of reading.Today ,2 years since  my last bone density test,I had another one done.My results are astounding!! I no longer have osteoporosis,only osteopenia!! The doctor said that my results are awesome, given that my osteoporosis was advanced!! I am so rapt tonight ,and I feel that my hard work has really helped.I hope that maybe there are other ladies with similar results reading the network tonight...you can change things ladies,I have proved it!!! Cheers Robyn xox

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Good news is bloody great news! So glad to hear there is hope. Marg xxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Oh that's fantastic news. Well done.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    That's amazing Robyn, all your hard work has paid off. Such great news, inspires me not to give up! Jane xx
  • BarbieAnne
    BarbieAnne Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Congratulations- worth bragging about!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Robyn that's FANTASTIC!!! I also have Osteoporosis thanks to Chemo and am on Prolia injections. I also take supplements and am exercising, it's been a year since my bone density test. I must admit I'm curious too to see what my next one looks like! though I don't know when I'd have another bone density?? Melinda xo
  • Robynw
    Robynw Member Posts: 19
    Options
    If you are on prolia they will call you for a bone density every 2 years
  • melclarity
    Options
    Thanks Robyn! I'll be very interested to see, I have another year then, hope I too have made progress, I'm working hard so hopefully :) x Melinda
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Would be keen to hear about supplements people undergoing hormone therapy are taking and why.Or where I can learn about it.Also types of exercise those with osteoporosis undertake as am at high risk of fractures 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    @Romla here is a link to the ABC Catalyst program about exercise and bone density.
    http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4459555.htm
    Xx Cath
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    Options
    Hello all, just thought I might jump in to mention that BCNA also have a fact sheet on Bone Health available to download or order online, which might be helpful :smile:  
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Romla I posted this to your comment on my wall, not sure you saw it. :) 

I've had 2 Prolia injections so far and maybe for a day I feel a bit off, but apart from that absolutely nothing. Magnesium is the main thing all people should take, it services over 300 enzymes in the body at a cell level,so its the base you see? I first got onto it through a Kinesiologist I saw and now I see a Naturopath and get it from there, it's 350mg per scoop in water a day, and I do half a teaspoon of Caltrate. Exercise is actually important for the osteoporosis, muscle strengthening particularly. I don't do anything hard and fast, its mainly like Pilates, lots of core work and strengthening. I have come so far since seeing her late last year. Im 19 months post Chemo and finally I really am suffering so much less now from fatigue. The more active I am the better I am and I am so surprised!!! I can't stress enough how helpful you would find an Exercise Physiologist specifically trained in rehabilitation. Hugs Melinda xo

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Thanks Melinda for reposting as did not see it - am a novice re how this online chat site is constructed. So pleased to hear you are getting thru this for your own sake as well as a beacon for others including me.My medical onc not forthcoming with side effects and how to mitigate them . I will research more widely myself and talk to my gp, surgeon , a breast nurse now I know there are natural therapies that can help as well as track down an exercise physiologist.Thankyou once again for giving me a pointer in the direction to go.
  • melclarity
    Options
    Romla they won't actually tell you about side effects really lol, for Aromatose inhibitors such as Arimidex, or Tamoxifen they say joint pain. I was on Tamoxifen for 4yrs but had a recurrence, I had no side effects on it at all. I'm only on it as it gives some extra guard. What Ive done is go by their recommendation, I will try what they want and if I feel things aren't working then I can stop at any time. I changed from Arimidex to Aromasin as I felt side effects were a little tough. To be honest its the combination of chemo side effects that have compounded so many other things. I do have to say though, I am at my best right now, I dont even need panadol osteo most days. I am aiming for drug free LOL. 

Alternative therapies are great to help with symptoms and side effects, none of it replaces my treatment regime, it adds to it :) I'm also a Reiki Master so alternative on a whole other level haha!!! ;) 

Hugs Melinda xo