Tired with swollen lymph nodes

Options
Brenda5
Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
Still trying to get to the bottom of why I am so tired a year after chemo. I sleep 11 to 14 hours in every 24. My psychiatrist though it might be depression and put me on anti-depressants.

A few months ago my GP did a gamut of blood tests and couldn't find anything there amiss either.

For months the lymph nodes under my jaw have been huge yet there is no dental problems. I thought perhaps it was a side affect being on Tamoxifen or something? Lately there is another node behind my jaw under my ear and another on one side of my throat and recently one in my good arm in the arm pit.

I told my oncologist about it this week and he sent me off for another blood test to try and tell what the problem is, including testing for Ross River Virus. He also ordered an ultrasound of my good breast and the lump under the arm pit and I will be having that Friday next week.

Just drives me crazy that I always seem to have the quirky things wrong with me lately. Just want to get on with my life but no energy to do it. <sigh>

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Oh I hope its sorted soon.  Tiredness though can be due to depression and it can take quite some time before medication can help that. I had nodes that stayed enlarged years ago related to having lots of viral infections close together. You might need to see a physician if no improvement and all tests don't give an answer. Kath x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Brenda5 goodness me you are doing it a bit tough lately. Hope you're feeling a little bit like your old self soon!  You've been through a lot, not just physically but also emotionally.  I'd be wanting to know why those lymph glands are swollen to give me a better understanding of where the body is at!
    Take care xx
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    Keep them on their toes and don't stop until you have the answers !  Some anti-depressants stop Tamoxifen from working so check up that this was taken into consideration.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    hey Brenda I'm nearly 7 months post and still get fatigued sometimes too, but I hope you are feeling your old self too soon, Ive had some post chemo depression too and find that I get less tired the more active I am and when I feel the cloud coming over I make myself get up and do something and find that helps a lot as I feel worse doing nothing does that make sense?? good luck with all the investigations, keep us posted, do you have any hobbies you love doing that could help you with your depression??? I find getting in the kitchen is my anti depressant. And believe me there's times when I just can not be shagged but feel better if I make myself do something,  Feel better lovey. Margie x
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    You certainly are having a crappy time, Brenda. All this stuff just adds more stress which is something all of us want to avoid. I hate feeling out of control and it is maddening when one thing after another goes wrong. I hope you get some reassuring answers and that whatever is wrong is either fixable or buggers off under its own steam. Xx Marg
  • Brenda5
    Options
    The Escitalopram was giving me bad diarrhoea so the psych nurse told me to decrease it back to half a tab but after 3 days on half a tab I still had a shocking renal system. I have been off them since Sunday and I still have nausea and diarrhoea every morning. I have lost 5kg; nice my flabby belly is gone but it is a worry.
    Today I saw the surgeons fill in. I haven't actually seen my surgeon face to face since my surgery in Dec 2015 but with the lump under my good arm pit the doc soon produced my surgeon who was also concerned. He is going to see me in a fortnight (if the office can fit me in) as the ultrasound on Friday is with a private hospital and results may take a little while. I imagine if the Ultrasound doctor is concerned he will contact my oncologist and or surgeon.
    The lump lays like a bean alongside my axilla tendon near to my remaining breast. My neck glands are also up and I thought it must have been a Tamoxifen side effect as those have been up for months. Apparently it is not a side effect so the mystery continues.
    On a good note, since I went off the depression pill I am not as tired or trippy, just still have limited energy so I have to be choosy with what tasks I take on. Half of my fish are happy, the other half are wondering when are they every going to get a tank water change and clean. It's on the to do list which seems to get longer and longer lol.
  • primek
    Options
    Shocking renal system? Do you have kidney problems now also Brenda? Has the diahorrea and nausea just started? I thought you had been on the escitalopram for weeks? It's odd that symptons still continuing not on medication. It does take a while to be out your system though. Keep in ckose contactcwith your GP and if nit better go back. Have they checked your liver function Brenda to make sure that's okay? You poor sausage. You must be miserable.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    OH Brenda hugs girl .... what a Sh*t of a time you are having girl.... 
    do you need a phone call ? 
    happy to give you one.... 
    what time is your u/sound tomorrow? 
    ASK them when they are doing it when the report will be back to your surgeon/oncologist? then you know if they say a few days to ring in a few days if they say a week not to worry if you have not heard from your surgeon or onco in that time.
    Inbox me if you want to chat girl I will watch for the notification as I have not been on here much but I want to know you are ok 
    big RAT Pack Hugs from me <3

• Brenda5
    Options
    I am not too worried about it being breast cancer again as I don't think it is that. My breast to me seems fine but you just never know so an ultrasound will sort that part out. I suspect it may be lymphoma from my chemo treatments last year which although not life threatening will mean I will have to be monitored with more tests throughout life.

Had a rotten nights sleep last night where my brain seemed to keep having this loud 'snap' happening. Just like some sort of electrical short which I think was the last of the psych meds leaving my body. I am blissfully sitting here this morning with no loud gut sounds and I haven't had to go racing off to the loo yet either (touch wood). Its lovely!

Thanks for the RAT Pack Hugs <3. Ultrasound is early Friday morning and if I can see the scan screen I will be able to tell what's going on. You do figure out how to read scans and xrays after a while. ;)
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @Brenda5 I am not sure when the journey ends. I have finished treatment recently. What surprised me was when I went to my local library or bookshops there are many books on after cancer care. Why? Its a problem for many of us.
     I have never read or met anyone who suddenly turned around and reverted back to their normal self quickly.
     From what I have been reading and experiencing, depression after its all over is pretty common. Its hard ,after effects of drugs, plus your body recovering from all it has been through...... no wonder things are not quite right. Hope physical problems investigated and resolved

• Brenda5
    Options
    Had my ultrasound this morning and I could be completely wrong but reading the scans myself the node has gone down quite a bit to only 2mm in the underarm. There was a tiny spot on the breast but nothing big enough to warrant further investigation. I think the whole trouble stemmed from the Escitalopram pills I was on which I have completely ceased since Sunday. Still got a bit of morning diarrhoea but its loads better now so just some good diet and healing to do. Will see docs in a week or two for official results.

Am not quite so tired now so either the meds fixed my depression for a while or it was the meds themselves laying me down. Onwards and upwards. :)
  • primek
    Options
    Did they scan the ones in your neck @Brenda5? Glad things seem aOK so far.
  • Brenda5
    Options
    No they didn't. Those are still there. The underarm one is tricky to find as it lays right alongside the axial tendon on the edge of the hairline toward the breast. We did one laying down and another sitting up to find the thing.
    Still have diarrhoea of a morning but its not as frequent now. Gosh for such a little pill it sure did a lot of upsets. Thankfully now I don't get the heart palpitations when I lay down any more. That was rather perplexing while on the pills as well.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Get your neck ones checked out Brenda
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    @Brenda5 crossing fingers and anything else I can that by the time you get back to the doctors for official results that your system will have settled down and that you don't have anything to worry about result wise. Xx