Friday Update

Options
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
edited March 2017 in Community news and events

Please welcome @Redshoes03 @MegseyJ11 @helenben @Ned21 @Stirling57 @rolly1311 @Bella28 @Pat Dyke @srharries @Moogle_muzzy @heatherrob, @Jailbirdstreet @LMK74 @Psalm118v8 @ruthw @Twiggyjumps @Tricoteuse @courtney @KitKat @Hulos @KatieA and all of our new members.

Grab a cup of tea or coffee. Lots of great reading in this Friday update!

Community highlights

Members post's you may have missed this week -

Metastatic breast cancer and fear of cancer progression
Living with metastatic breast cancer brings many challenges. While fear and anxiety of what the future may hold is a reality for many people there are ways to manage this fear and live well.

https://youtu.be/KoDTDcsTbDQ

Do you worry about your cancer coming back?
Feeling anxious and frightened about breast cancer returning is very common for people who have had breast cancer. While fear of cancer recurrence may never go away completely there are ways to manage it.

https://youtu.be/2KRd2YDE-js

In my language: my breast cancer story
Recently, BCNA produced a series of new videos. In my language: my breast cancer story shares the breast cancer experiences of women in their own languages, with subtitles in English. The women are from Italian, Greek, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Arabic and Vietnamese speaking backgrounds. Inaam Barakat is the mastermind behind this work and these videos. Feel free to contact her at ibarakat@bcna.org.au and tell her how great you think they are!

News & events

Let's get palbociclib on the PBS! Help
support women with metastatic breast cancer by signing our petition

State of the Nation Consultation - Brisbane. We are making our way around the country to hear from our network of women & men affected by breast cancer so we can better understand the gaps and issues people are facing. Brisbane – this is your chance to make your voice count. We hope to see you there!

We are off to New Zealand in 2018! As part of the South Island Adventure you will trek through the spectacular Fiordland National Park, experience the tranquillity of Milford Sound & witness the thundering waterfalls emerge from the rugged cliffs… while dolphins and seals play before your eyes! An adventure not to be missed.

Help
turn the MCG pink to support breast cancer at the 2017 Pink Lady Match!

Soy products are GOOD for fighting breast cancer, study finds!
(Image:Getty Images)

Australians paying four times above international prices for drugs: Grattan Institute report.
(Image: Louie Douvis)

I just love this picture from the our Instagram. :)
Have a lovely weekend,
Ann-Marie x

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Interesting story on the soy.  I'd like to read the research as quite frankly the article was a little confusing to read. My interpretation is it assists tnbc to not grow...but also doesn't make es+ cancers on hormone blockers worse. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    My Oncologist had told me to stay clear of all soy based products I was  TNBC
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    I'm a bit surprised too.  I was given a list of things to avoid with my 100% Er/Pr result. High on the list was chicken and soy.  Would be thrilled if new research shows this not to be he case.  It's wonderful how much new information is uncovered on this site! Jane x
  • primek
    Options
    @Hopes and Dreams Chicken? Really?  There are no hormones added to Australian chicken. Never heard of it being recommended for restriction. Was that for chemo...ie if not cooked properly maybe rather than for bc in general. I've been tokd to restrict bacon etc. Because of the curing process but small amounts aren't an issue.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Wow - wasn't told about chicken or bacon!! Just been happily munching away  :o
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I would die if I couldn't have chicken or bacon lol.
  • primek
    Options
    @Soldier Crab Thanks for the article link. So from that extensive research I am no longer worried about needing to drink soy products instead of milk. In fact maybe including more might be a good option. 
  • primek
    Options
    The link regarding fear of  recurrence is fantastic.