Advice to make it through an event

Options
Sparkles
Sparkles Member Posts: 36
So my son's graduation is tomorrow  :) I am almost a week past my first chemo and suffering from diarrhoea and fatigue. I am following instructions to try to manage it all but I am worried that I won't be enough to get there for him. His was a tough road and that he persisted and is now a teacher is so special. I don't want to miss it!!! Does anyone have any hints that will help me? 
My girls in Brisbane have both suggested medicinal cannabis - bless them  :D
I don't want to miss this day!

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi Sparkles, can you get something over the counter for the diarrohea like Gastrostop & if it is all day perhaps something like Gastrolyte to replace the salts if you are allowed to take this. Having diarrhoea will only add to your fatigue. My chemo nurse was available 24 hours by text for worrying symptoms. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Mad as it may seem, consider a sedative. There's not much to be done about the fatigue and the trots are diabolically unpredictable but getting worried about how you may react will only make things worse. This is a one off for your son and it would be awful to miss it.
    Seriously, take a valium if they don't send you silly and try to relax. You are much less likely to have an episode if you aren't wound up and waiting for it. In fact, if you can get hold of a wheelchair take that too. Plead low blood pressure and let someone trundle you around--you might just find that takes the pressure off anyone who may be inclined to fuss about how you are coping and you won't run the risk of getting the wobbles and pitching head first into a floral display at a critical moment. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Marg
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    What a wonderful thing to celebrate. I took gastrostop  in hospital and home very efficient. Fatigue was also a problem for me. Having lots of rest before the ceremony would help. Also plan after the ceremony .If you probably will be tired then plan for someone if needed to take you to their car for a rest. If you are at the ceremony sit near an exit so you can leave if unwell. Have a great day
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @Sparkles my gastro and wobbles very really bad .... and we had a 3+ hour trip to oncologist and then return... So we bought me the ladies pull up incontinence underwear from Coles.... it gave me the peace of mind to know I could get to the loo if I needed to and I also had the comfort of knowing if I didn't I was covered.  they are basically invisible under your clothes... definitely get a wheelchair that way you can have the energy when photos are wanted etc. without standing around ready to pass out etc. 

Sending you hugs and energy for tomorrow 
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    Hey @Sparkles I had chemo Wednesday last week and I woke up this morning and realised I'd turned the corner. It's sort of like 'hump' day. My cup of tea tasted good and I managed my walk without being terrified I was going to be caught in the bushes with my pants down. Hopefully the same is happening for you and today will be absolutely fine.
    Have a great day. I'll bet your son is proud of you too. xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Your determination will allow you to be there without mishap!  Enjoy the moment as it is very special!
    Take care xx
  • CateH
    CateH Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Wishing you well for today Sparkles.  I started to feel a bit better a week after my first chemo so hopefully you are today as well.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    That is awesome ... @Sparkles
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Awesome @Sparkles! Glad you made it...a very proud moment for both of you!!!☺
  • Zoffiel
    Options
    You are a champion!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Well done
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Options
    You were organized, you planned for it, you were brave.  It worked.  What a great result.  He will always remember that you cared so much you made a big effort to go to his graduation.  Bets wishes Karen 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    What a lovely photo Lesley!  So glad you were able to get through the day and you will both have such a treasured memory.  Jane xx