What do I tell work?

Options
Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi. I am due to have first appointment with surgeon next week. I am guessing that at the very least I will have surgery (infiltrating ductal carcinoma but not in bones or other organs). While I know it is different for each woman, how much time off is generally needed after surgery? I don't know what kind of surgery I will be having but am hoping for breast conserving surgery.  Any experiences or advice, including what women tell their employers would be appreciated. Thanks Nadine

Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Nadi:) I suggest that you be upfront with your employer.Until you actually have the surgery,it is really difficult to tell how you will come through it.I had a mastectomy,and approximately 4 weeks later I started chemo.I didn't work out of the home,but I foster several children,and after about 3 weeks I was able to do everything I had before.I also had IDC,but I needed chemo after.EVERY case is different, and until the doctor looks at your complete pathology results,you won't really know what to be expecting.My tumour was deep,and directly behind the nipple,so as my surgeon pointed out to me,a mastectomy was the only option.Cheers Robyn xox

• Janiot
    Janiot Member Posts: 35
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Nadine

I work a night duty roster and unfortunately my diagnosis and privately booked surgery ( nipple and skin preserving mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction) resulted in me having to be taken off that roster at short notice. 

I only told my superiors and requested they kept my diagnosis in confidence. They we're very obliging but my colleagues ended up having to shuffle their rosters to cover my absence!

I went back to work after 4 weeks - which is what my surgeon recommended. 

I have just finished being back at work  6 weeks but will now be on sick leave until 6 January 2016 - for which I was able to give ample notice?? as I am having radiotherapy (started last week due to complete early December) due to the nipple margin being less than desirable. 

I want to give my body time to recover without the stress of work compromising that??

I appreciated being able to work without "the whole world knowing"??- only one colleague at work knew my diagnosis.

Good luck in your journey ??

Jan

• Nadi
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn

• Nadi
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks Jan and good luck with radiotherapy. Nadine

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi Nadine, it's a good idea to talk with your employer all along the way. They will be able to advise you what you are eligible to, and will be able to discuss flexibility in your employment during your recovery. Take care, wishing you all the best with your surgery. Sending you a big cuddle, Trace ??????

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi there 

from memory I had a week off and surprisingly I've heard many go home the same day. I had overnight hospital stay for lumpectomy and only told my boss at that stage and then I went back to have another conversation when I knew what my treatment plan --radiation was.  I had decided if I was going to do chemo that I would ask for four months off without pay which my hr unit said I wasn't entitled to although maybe could have argued it if it came to that ---however I'd didn't have chemo so that made everything quite simple and with lumpectomy I had two post op appts etc so when radiation came by I sent around an email to floor telling then was having daily radiation and blocked out first hour in my diary which worked well  . I had privacy until I was ready to tell work and also took a week off when radiation just got me tired and had planned also some annual  leave as further 'support' which was good. 

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2015
    Options

Ps it also depends on what kind of work you do I was surprised but the recovery from lumpectomy was very straight forward but had more discomfort from the lymph gland removal and that wound recovery impacted more ie no heavy lifting !   In real terms it didn't Impact my work but I wouldn't carry for example heavy load of washing outside etc. best wishes