Newbee

Dragonlover
Dragonlover Member Posts: 34
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Have just been diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. Have had surgery for removal of malignant lump in right breast and 9 lymph nodes. Had drain taken out 2 days ago and now feel that under my arm is getting quite swollen and sore. Thinking this is a build up of fluid but this is all new to me and would love advice from anyone who has been through this. I am scheduled for day surgery on Monday as they didn't quite reach the margins around the lump in the breast so guess I wait till then and see what they think? Don't know how to do this - chemo to come next ...........

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

Sorry to hear about your troubles but welcome to the website, it's a great place for advice, there is always someone on here who can help. I had a lumpectomy in Oct 2013, I only had the sentinel node removed and had no drain. So unfortunately I can't help too much. Sounds like it could be a build up of fluid but I'm sure other ladies will log on that have had similar problems and will help. I know it must seem daunting at the moment but you will find you can get through this. As for chemo, I was terrified at first and while it was not always an easy thing to cope with, I managed to come out the other side. I am now one year since diagnosis and feeling really good, even back at work:) I coped a little better when I took one day at a time, looking too far into the future can seem overwhelming. I wish you all the best for Monday and for the rest of your treatment, sending big cyber hugs to you,

Hazel xx 

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    So sorry that you too find yourself facing all this. I had a mastectomy and 8 nodes removed in May 13. I had a build up of fluid (called a seroma) that was very uncomfortable for a few weeks after surgery. My surgeon said this was quite common and used a needle (did not hurt as the area was numb from surgery) to drain the fluid until it reached a level where my body could absorb the rest. This had to be done about 5 times. I then saw a physio/nurse who used massage to help move the fluid so that my body could absorb it into the lymph system.

It is good that you will be able to have your area of concern examined on Monday. As long as you do not develop a temperature (sign of infection) then waiting until then will be ok. The fluid can be very uncomfortable but they will be able to relieve this for you. It did not delay my chemo having the fluid issue. I started chemo 3 weeks after surgery and they were still able to drain the fluid a couple of times till the problem was resolved.

This network is a great place to talk with others who have experienced similar issues. I hope that everything gets sorted for you on Monday. Keep in touch. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Dragonlover
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for your reply to my post. I know so many people have been through this and I know I will be ok but hard trying to keep it together for everyone around me at times. Easier for them if I tell them I'm doing ok even when I'm not. Anyway, like you say, a day at a time is better than thinking ahead right now. Thanks for the cyber hug - I send those to my adult kids all the time!
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

I know what you mean when you say it would be better for people if you say everything is ok. I often found myself saying just that, you could see the relief on people's faces:) It is hard for our family and friends too. Take care, 

Hazel xx

• Dragonlover
    edited March 2015
    Thanks Deanne. Reading replies like yours puts a smile on my face so a big help. I had my second surgery yesterday and went well but a bad night with pain. Better today though so that's good. He did drain some fluid away from under the arm while I was out to it but didn't think it would give me future problems - see him next week so he can check it out then. Appointments next Monday to talk about chemo and radiation treatment, glad it's soon as million questions in my head right now. I have great support from my husband, family and friends so am very lucky. I'm going to need you guys too as you have been there and that's the only way to truly understand I guess.