On Our Walks

Comments

• JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    More pictures please @Annie C I'd love to dance about in a Kimberley downpour. It is actually on my bucket list....one day...
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @kmakm
    Thankyou Kate.

The wet season is a very important time. You can actually see the earth being replenished, washed and renewed. Ourselves as well.

It is like as if the dust is washed off and our lives are strengthened. 

Experiencing  a Kimberley Wet Season is indescribable. It is probably why I stay even though I whinge about the humidity and always say in March " I am not staying another wet season". 
     This one is my 25th!

At this time of the year conversations at social events revolve around -
    Will we get a wet season?
    Will it be an early 'wet' or a late 'wet'?
    Will be have a wet 'wet or a dry 'wet?

After a thunderstorm It's how much rain did you get. A great competition ensues.

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951

Dear @JJ70,  That feather is glowing! And keep posting to 'On our Walks' and 'In our Gardens' everybody. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I'll get over there one day, @Annie C ..... I loved my fishing week on Wilderness Island a few years back (off Exmouth) and just wished I could keep going .....

Yep - that feather is GORGEOUS @JJ70!   I collect the bigger Pelican feathers & put them in a tube on the back 
    of our ute - now THAT feather would garner MANY comments!!   ;)  
  • JJ70
    I am hoping to find a female version, which is a stripy red and black tail feather when we go down again to Nannup this weekend.
  • arpie
    Gorgeous!   Are there crocs there??
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Yep, what the authorities and the media don't tell you is how often Cable Beach is closed. Yesterday midday it was closed due to stingers (irakanji).

It was always commonsense in the north, many years ago,  not to swim between November and April. 

Now  the the local authorities close the beach - after someone has been stung!!!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Bureaucracy! 
  • arpie
    Irikanji are no fun - I reckon hundreds have 'drowned/cardiac arrest' over the decades, but really died from being stung by irikanji (all over the top end, even found now down to Fraser Island in Qld.)  They are so tiny, they don't leave the big welt marks of Blue Bottles & other stingers ..... yet they reckon only 2 have died!  How would they know!  They weren't even identified as a threat until the 50s & not made public to the actual public til probably the 70s or later!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome
  • JJ70
    Idiotic @Annie C...prevention rather than cure...as we all know so well. Probably all for the sake of tourism - can't have the famous Cable Beach closed for half the year!! ($$$)