new diagnosis

Options
Chelley59
Chelley59 Member Posts: 55
edited September 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi i have been diagnosed with DCIS high grade 43 mm in late august this year. Innitially the plan was mastectomy and reconstruction straight away using the tram flap procedure. I have had many appointments with plastics and breast surgeon thinking that this is moving quite quickly. I was told last week that the surgeons were having their usual meeting to discuss cases in which mine will be discussed. I attended my appointment after to find out the plan to be told that perhaps we are moving too fast here. So plan B is ....wide excision of the area, not necessarily to remove the dcis but to find out what we are really dealing with. He will also remove a couple sentinel nodes for pathology. I will have a plastic surgeon in on the procedure as I have silicon implants that will be removed aswell (by the way very happy with that) as they are 16yrs old. MY procedure is now tentatively booked for the 23rd of October....its taking longer for them to organise this because of these implants that need to come out. My question is....is this moving too slow ? I do understand that it is only DCIS therefore it is not invasive but what chance is there of it becoming invasive in this time. I do have trust in what they are doing is the right thing but just getting a little anxious now that is almost 2 months since diagnosis. The registrar made a comment on my last appt that "this has been there for 6-12 months so a few more weeks wont matter" 
 thanks in advance
Michele
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi Chelley. It's really hard to talk specifics as we're all so different. I asked my BS how long he thought my tumour had been growing and he thought that maybe two years, but that the DCIS could have been there for fifteen.

Your docs would have looked at the pathology of your DCIS and have a pretty accurate idea of how it's behaving. There are lots of markers that are examined. I would try not to worry about the time at this stage.

I think that having a sentinal node biopsy is a cautious, excellent idea. Knowing if you've got any spread to your lymph nodes will change and refine your treatment. Simply put, it's going to give you and your doctors more knowledge about your cancer and that's a good thing.

Multi-disciplinary meetings are the gold standard of cancer care. It sounds to me like you're in good hands. Hang in there. K xox
  • Chelley59
    Options
    thanks kmakm....i've been pretty good through all of this and I am grateful that it is what it is...there are so many others out there with far more serious breast ca than me...in fact i'm told mine isn't even classed as a cancer...its precancerous....it would be nice just to get it all over and done with and move on.....I'm sure this is everyone's sentiment on here xxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    hi Chelley59 
    here is some helpful links 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community
    formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further
    information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from
    9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• Chelley59
    Options
    Thankyou so much...xx