Options
shazzaaust
shazzaaust Member Posts: 8
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Hi everyone,

It's so lovely to FJ d this support group :D.
I am a Christian living in Brisbane and was diagnosed with stage 1 invasive and DCIS breast cancer (not in lymph nodes) last month (October)
I am tossing up the pros and cons of radiotherapy but hear more negative than positive. Would really appreciate your prayers at this time.

Comments

• Ann1e
    Ann1e Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

So very sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I know just how you feel.  I've been diagnosed with DCIS in August, and when they removed the tumour, they found 2 invasive cancer spots.  I didn't have a clear margin and had to go back for more surgery 2 weeks later.  

I have started chemo in October, and just had my 2nd one, still recovering and trying to stay awake long enough to just get washing done or talk to my family.   I am having 4 rounds of chemo, and when it finishes in December, I will also have 6 weeks of radiation therapy, starting early January.  It is a very emotional time, and some days I feel fine, other days I just want to lie in bed and not talk to anyone.  

I will be praying for your!!

• Ann1e
    Ann1e Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

So very sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I know just how you feel.  I've been diagnosed with DCIS in August, and when they removed the tumour, they found 2 invasive cancer spots.  I didn't have a clear margin and had to go back for more surgery 2 weeks later.  

I have started chemo in October, and just had my 2nd one, still recovering and trying to stay awake long enough to just get washing done or talk to my family.   I am having 4 rounds of chemo, and when it finishes in December, I will also have 6 weeks of radiation therapy, starting early January.  It is a very emotional time, and some days I feel fine, other days I just want to lie in bed and not talk to anyone.  

I will be praying for your!!

• shortlionruth
    shortlionruth Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Shazza.  I also had invasive Cancer and had to have more surgery as my margins weren't clear.  I had 3 tumours and it was in the lymph nodes.  I had 6 Months of chemo and 6 weeks of radium.  That was 14 years ago.  Three Months ago, I had a double masectomy as I have the Braca 2 gene.  If I had realised this, I probably would have opted for a total masectomy at the time of diagnosis.  My left breast (where I had the surgery) is different to the other breast because of the radfium treatment..  Unless you have a radical masectomy in the future, radium is fine as it kills any cancer cells that may be lurking around.  I will pray that God will be with you as you go through this very emotional journey.  There is a life after breast cancer and I certainly am proof of that.  All the best and lots of love, Ruth xxx

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    edited March 2015
    Options

It can be daunting dealing with all the choices we need to make. 

I was diagnosed with TNBC back in sept 2012, at double mastectomy and then chemo and radiation. 

My faith has helped me thru some really tough times with Breast Cancer. 

wanted to let you know I have started a facebook page for women with BC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bcnoffaaduaustralia/ 

it is a closed group so only members can see what we are writing etc. 

I pray for you to have support and the ability to know Gods Presence in the midst of the Breast Cancer journey. 

alice 

• pppbmr
    pppbmr Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2015
    Options

We will all be praying for you :) I had chemo as well, which was much worse than radiotherapy, ithink. Just keep reading or speaking to your practitioners etc until you feel that you know enough to make a decision. Keep us posted.

Prue

• PinkGilly
    PinkGilly Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was diagnosed in 2008 and had just moved to Canberra so didn't know anyone other than my immediate family.  I had  a lumpectomy, then mastectomy followed by chemotherapy, no radiation. The church I went to were wonderful and prayed faithfully for me as did the church family I had left behind. A friend gave me a book called "Dear God, they say it's Breast Cancer" and this got me through the tough times. It seemed that the  chapters I read were the ones I needed to read at that time and I really felt God's presence through it all. I would highly recommend it as it's full of appropriate bible passages, other women's stories and practical advice. 6 years on I now own Colleens, a shop which provides services and products for women after breast surgery. I see many women who have had radiation and all tell varying stories, some good some not so good but all say they needed to take it easy during it. Praying for you Shazza as you make decisions about radiation and any other treatments, there are no right or wrong answers.

• PinkGilly
    PinkGilly Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Forgot to say author of the book is Janet Thompson

• pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

Fantastic testimony. God never left you either by the sounds of it! Thanks for your positive post.

I had those first two surgeons that you had but wasn't happy with the plastics result so Peter Schwartz and I went to another plastic surgeon on the north shore. Very happy now (eight years later!).

Prue 

• Sharon Leigh
    Sharon Leigh Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How amazing Prue that you had same surgeons. I have witnessed to Peter Schwartz on each visit mainly miracles that medical professipn can't explain. Am seeing him on 5/1/15. Appreciate if could diary to pray for a great Holy Spirit inspired "word" for this surgeon. X
  • pppbmr
    edited March 2015
    Options

Will do. I had in the back of my mind that he is a Christian?
    Prue

• shazzaaust
    shazzaaust Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Alice,
    I have put on a request to join the Facebook group.

Thanks so much

Sheree
  • Sharon Leigh
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Shazza,
    Thanks for explaining what is happening. Heavy stuff. Are you in a Life Group as well as in a good church that worships the Lord Jesus? Praying for guidance is important but pastoral support is crucial for you too. Is there someone who is local to you from your church who can help with prayer and any needs you have? What about family? My prayer for you...
    "Dear Lord God, I lift Shazza (or real name) to you now. Please give her all the necessary spiritual and medical guidance as she is needing clear and right information in order to make the appropriate decisions ahead. Bring wise and helpful people into her life to lessen this burden and may she know the peace that surpasses all understanding from your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, Amen". Please keep me/ us updated, when you can.
    Sharon xxx
  • Sharon Leigh
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Shazza,
    Thanks for explaining what is happening. Heavy stuff. Are you in a Life Group as well as in a good church that worships the Lord Jesus? Praying for guidance is important but pastoral support is crucial for you too. Is there someone who is local to you from your church who can help with prayer and any needs you have? What about family? My prayer for you...
    "Dear Lord God, I lift Shazza (or real name) to you now. Please give her all the necessary spiritual and medical guidance as she is needing clear and right information in order to make the appropriate decisions ahead. Bring wise and helpful people into her life to lessen this burden and may she know the peace that surpasses all understanding from your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, Amen". Please keep me/ us updated, when you can.
    Sharon xxx
  • shortlionruth
    shortlionruth Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Shazzaaust.  I am also praying and asking God to be with you at this time.  I am proof that there is life after a cancer diagnosis.  I have the Braca2 gene and Lynch Syndrome and I praise God every Day because I am a 14 1/2 year survivor and God has never let me down.  My Daughter also has the same genes and is having a hysterectomy this Week to lower her chances of developing Breast Cancer.  At least by knowing we have the genes, we are more aware of it and do what we can to control them.  I feel fortunate knowing this as I have lost many family members and my Parents as well as a Sister having Stomach Cancer and a Brother with Bowel Cancer.  I am the only Christian in a Family of J.W's and I feel God's presence at all times.  Thainking of you and hoping everything goes well for youa.  Lots of Love, Ruth.