I am new to this

Options
2»

Comments

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a terrible response from your mother, you poor thing. Doesn't sound very christian to me somehow. My family were very supportive because we have all been through this with our mother and my sister as well. I can't fathom having family who don't understand what you must be going through. I can say one thing though and it is definitely not your fault you have this disease. None of us asked to travel this 'journey' but we all try to get through it in our own way and most of us succeed. Keep in touch and we will all try our best to help you through, take care, 

Hazel xx

• Merlins mum
    Merlins mum Member Posts: 443
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know they mean well in their own heads but jeez! Not your fault. Just so not! Join the Perth ladies. You will be surprised that you will actually have some fun amid all this bad stuff. Thinking of you.
    Xx
    Julie
  • Merlins mum
    Merlins mum Member Posts: 443
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm with Hazel!

Julie
  • Onga
    Onga Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tricia ,
    Life is full of so many surprises with who does step up to support and help you. First time round , my very best girlfriend couldn't see me for a good month after my diagnosis. She was always the first person there with food and help when anyone needed help, but she couldn't do it with me as she didn't want to think that she might lose me. So second time round, I went to her and told her and we cried together.
    Some people just can't handle that you might not be invincible. Yes I know it is hard and you don't forget. But a lot of people will surprise you, and it does restore your faith in human nature.
    So good luck and enjoy those that are there
    Cheers. Pam.
  • saphire
    saphire Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Tricia

Good luck with finding out your results hope it all goes well, but if not their will be people on here to give you lots of support, I have just had my first chemo and wasn't happy with how my body reacted and am not looking forward to my next round but I know somehow I will get through it with all my support. and trying to be strong and positive.

Hugs Karen

• Onga
    edited March 2015
    Options

So Tricia,

What was the result???

Pam sending gentle hugs

• Onga
    edited March 2015
    Options

So Tricia,

What was the result???

Pam sending gentle hugs

• Iamthefreespirited1
    Iamthefreespirited1 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

We saw the surgeon this afternoon, and the results are in...

I have early stage breast cancer, grade 3.

Removed were 2 lumps and 5 nodes. The nodes were sticky but clear. Of the lumps, 1 was just a lump the other is doing all the damage. It has spread to the surrounding tissue and is possibly in my blood. Is this why they took blood from me in hospital?

There are no receptors. (Please what does this mean? is it a good thing?)

She said that I am to have another surgery to remove more tissue (this Friday.. very fast), once I am healed from this I am to start on chemo followed by radiotherapy.

My wonderful partner was there with me as always, he is fantastic and always says the right thing at the right time, everyone should have one like him.

This is another journey that we are taking together forever making us stronger as a couple. (One day we will get married and you are all invited)

What I thought was another lump growing isn't, it is a buildup of fluid. What this means I don't know. The fluid will be released when in surgery on Friday I guess.

For now I have to make sure that I don't catch any colds etc and also that my current cuts don't get infected.

Time for me to google some of the terminology used in the pathology report so that I know more.

Thank you for reading and for any advice that comes my way.

Big hugs

Tricia

• Iamthefreespirited1
    Iamthefreespirited1 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Karen

I hope your next session with chemo goes better than the first, while I don't know yet what it is all about I am very soon to learn and will be able to share with you.

The people that are on this site are all wonderful and very supportive, you can never have too much support.

I am finding that I don't need to put on such a strong persona at the moment and have occassionally crumbled in a blubbering mess but that is ok, people are understanding.

Big hugs to you

Tricia

• Meredyth
    Meredyth Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tricia,

It's good to hear you sounding a bit better.  Thanks so much for your offer!  If I ever get to Perth, I will definitley look you up and come for a visit! :)  It's great that your partner is there for you and giving you so much strength. Knowing how much you are loved and having a hand to hang onto at appointments can make all the difference in the world.  :)

Yes, the pathology results can be so confusing!  I took mine home (I have three now) and googled all the big workds I didn't understand.  Took me quite a few goes before I could make any sense of it all.  

After three surgeries on my left breast, I have a lot of lumps and bumps in it.  Every so often I panic and think the cancer has spread and then I catch myself and remember it's just scar tissue forming, or a pocket of fluid.
    Remember your poor boob has been through a lot already and it will take time to heal.  

During these early days, we get given so much informaition and it;s so confusing and overwhelming at times.  Never stop asking questions if you don't understand and never feel silly about keeping asking until you do understand.  One of the first  things my surgeon said to me is that there's no such thing as a stupid question.  It's very true.  It's your body and you have the right to understand what's happening to it.  All of my health care team to date have been marvellous with answering my questions and helping me to understand.  Have you been given a copy of the Guide for Women with Early Breast Cancer?  That may help answering some of your questions (like what are receptors). Or, just ask your doctors.  They may not realise that you don't quite get it all yet.   If you don't have a copy of the Guide,  BCNA or the Cancer Council can send you one. It really is a wonderful book and has lots of definitions in it to help you understand.  I got a whole kit full of free information books and resources from BCNA.  Completely wonderful and very useful to me.  The lovely people at the Cancer Council have also been fabulous with providing me with information about the various types of support on offer.  I suggest you give them a call on 13 11 20. Their staff are really easy to talk to and so very helpful.  They don't even mind when I'm crying on the end of the phone! 

Oh yeah, with the lymph nodes, I  had 11 removed (8 with cancer in them) and while the swelling under my arm is slowly going down, for weeks I truly felt like I had a grapefruit wedged in my armpit!  I had a lot (still have some) of numbness around that area and down my arm too, so it was the strangest sensation to try and get used to.  I was initally told they could use a needle to draw some of the fluid out but they never did and I just got used to it.

One of the things I've learned since my journey began is that things can move and change very fast.  Sadly my pathology results haven't been the greatest, so I've needed more surgery. Sounds like you might be similar, with needing more surgery.  Don't panic abotu it though Tricia.  It doesn't mean the cancer has spread.  They might talk to you about  the surgical margin and DCIS?  I have that too.  From what I understand, it's like pre-cancer cells that are in your milk ducts.  They are not cancer right now, but might be in the future, which is why your doctor needs to make sure they are all gone.    I really hope that for you the second surgery will be enougth and that you won't need any more.

Big hugs back to you too!  Remember, we're all here for each other.  :)