Ways of coping

Options
2»

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes I know how lucky I am with both my daughters, husband and parents giving wonderful support all the way. Mum has decided she wants to walk with us next year (she is very fit and only 65). So we will have 3 generations walking together next time!

But my sister, brother and their families are very caught up in their own lives. Despite living close by (my sister just 5 mins away, my brother 30 mins) they rarely contact or visit and did not sponsor us in the walk, or even respond to the text we sent to everyone from the finish line. They were very busy on the day, but still!

It has been hurtful at times but reading a post by Meg (positive3negative) on here about how we sometimes find that people distance themselves for all sorts of reasons when someone they know gets cancer, really helped me to let go of the expectation that they would be supportive. I don't know why they have not been able to be there for me but maybe things will change in time like they have for you.

The really terrific thing that came out of doing the walk was that my husband, daughters and parents were able to feel the support of friends etc. It has been a tough time for them and it was great that people talked about this with them when sponsoring us for the walk.

Enjoy the seven bridges walk, I hope your son and his fiancée join you too. Take care.
    Deanne xxx