Ways of coping

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited June 2014 in Health and wellbeing
When I was diagnosed I had just spent 5 months losing a little weight and getting fit. I thought I was healthy but I was shocked to find out I had Stage 3 breast cancer.

I coped with the lead up to surgery by continuing to walk 5 km everyday and as soon as I could I was back walking after my mastectomy and partial axillary clearance. I think this helped me mentally as well as physically.

During chemo I continued to help my body cope, with good food (except for some odd cravings here and there!) and walking as much as possible (Docetaxel knocked me off my feet though).

After radiation I started swimming as well as walking. I think it helped with the side effects of tamoxifen. My Pilates, yoga and swimming help me control early stage lymphoedema.

It is 7 months since I finished radiotherapy and I felt a need to do something other than helping myself recover and reducing my chance of recurrence. So, when I saw a poster advertising Walk 4 Breast Cancer I thought this is it!

10 years ago a small group of 12 people decided to walk from Coolum to Noosa (20km) to raise awareness and money for Breast Cancer. Since then it has grown each year and it has now raised over $460 000 for Cancer Council Queensland to use to support women with Breast Cancer and also for research.

This time last year I was walking 5 km before heading off to have my second FEC chemo. I was doing what I could to help myself.

Tomorrow morning my daughter and I will walk 10 km (I'm only doing the half walk from Marcus Beach to Noosa) to help others who are facing diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer. I also hope that with more money for research we can achieve the 'no deaths from breast cancer by 2030.'

It helps me to cope with the thought of recurrence, to know that I am doing something, not just to keep myself as healthy as possible, but to work towards finding out more about how to stop this awful disease.

Every step I take tomorrow will be another step towards reclaiming my life that breast cancer nearly took away. It can be hard to move on but I feel this is a way forward for me.

Wishing you all the strength to cope with what you have in front of you right now and the hope that one day soon they will work out how to beat this disease for good.
Take care. Deanne xxx

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are a wonderful example to us all!  Enjoy your walk with your daughter - it's a great cause and you are a great role model as Robyn has said.   Well done, Michelle xxx

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is so hard to reclaim our lives, when the treatments are all over thats all we want but we are still fatigued and emotionally just not quite there. Its awesome to have something like this to look forward to. You did so well last year to walk the 5 ks whilst undergoing treatment and this year 20 ks, wow.

More than anything else I hope this gives you a little more of your life back.

Sending you hugs

Donna

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is so hard to reclaim our lives, when the treatments are all over thats all we want but we are still fatigued and emotionally just not quite there. Its awesome to have something like this to look forward to. You did so well last year to walk the 5 ks whilst undergoing treatment and this year 20 ks, wow.

More than anything else I hope this gives you a little more of your life back.

Sending you hugs

Donna

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am so looking forward to the walk. Living on the coast for much of my life I have driven this way many times but walking it will be wonderful. Lots of beautiful views and Noosa National Park to enjoy. We won't be breaking any speed records but enjoying the scenery and the company of some pretty enthusiastic fellow walkers.

Our personal fundraising has been pretty successful thanks to some very generous friends and family ($2520 at the moment). But the real message that I want to get out there is not to wait until you are 50 to have your first mammogram. I would have been dead by then! Know your breasts and get any change checked out promptly.

I really hope you get to take part next year Joy. I would love to meet you and plan to do it again myself.
    Thanks again for your good wishes. Deanne xxx
  • Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Deanne, you were the first to reply to me when I signed onto this network and your advice has helped me immensely. You are an inspiration to us all. I believe all the research has already helped so many and one day hopefully the 2030 timeline will be accomplished. Enjoy your walk with your daughter, you are a treasure, lots of hugs to you, 

Hazel xx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options

Feel absolutely great that we did this. Such a positive experience and have so much energy now I'm not sure what to do with myself! It actually rained at the halfway mark but no one complained and everyone was so happy to be doing the walk. Actually ran (well slow jogged) up the hills because this seemed easier than walking up them!

Not sure how the body will feel tomorrow. Will do my pilates and yoga stretches this afternoon and have a big soak in a warm bath! I cannot thank my wonderful daughter and all the people who got behind us and sponsored us enough. Final total was $2740, although people are still donating. My Mum has another donation to add to this from a friend. I have already had some friends and family offering to do it with us next year! :)) Deanne

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

Deanne you are fabulous and well done on doing the walk with your lovely daughter.  Thank you for updating us on how you got and what an awesome total you raised.  I really hope that I can join you next year.  Today I am so sore from radiation it is hard to think I will feel feel strong and fit like you this time next year.  Your are an inspiration.

Love

Joy xx

• Bearteggie
    edited March 2015
    Options

Deanne you are fabulous and well done on doing the walk with your lovely daughter.  Thank you for updating us on how you got and what an awesome total you raised.  I really hope that I can join you next year.  Today I am so sore from radiation it is hard to think I will feel feel strong and fit like you this time next year.  Your are an inspiration.

Love

Joy xx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Radiation takes some getting over. I knew that it could actually get worse after it finished but was really worried when it seemed to just be getting worse and worse. It was awful because here I was finally finished treatment but unable to wear a bra and get out of the house! I think in some ways the few weeks (about 4 I think) after radio finished were the worst of the whole thing. I just was desperate to start feeling better.

Then all of a sudden I came good and even had enough energy to cook Christmas lunch for 10, 6 weeks later. It is hard to see past that fatigue but just rest as much as you can and you WILL start to feel better soon. Sending you a big but gentle hug! Keep in touch. Deanne xxxx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well done Deanne.What a gorgeous photo of you and your daughter.You should be so proud of yourselves,for raising that much money,and for doing the walk.xoxRobyn
  • Bearteggie
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne,  You have definitely hit the nail on the head.  I thought I could start to get out and about but have had to ditch the bra and just wearing a cotton pijama top with my jeans.  Too sore for anything else.  Yes I am like you were desperate to feel good again.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Love

Joy xx 

• Christine Marie
    Christine Marie Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2015
    Options
    congratulations on your big walk.... Lovely photo of you & your daughter & I loved reading your post :) you are so positive & an inspiration to us all...you should be very proud of what you have achieved with yourself & with how much money you raised for the cancer council....
    Take care Deanne....
    Christine:) x
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I still feel really energetic again today and have found my motivation again. Feeling like my old self before BC. Have decided I need to do something physically challenging every so often to really boost my mood. My daughter said straight away that she is up for whatever I decide to do next! Better line something up before she changes her mind. Maybe walking up Mt Coolum? I haven't done that since I was in High School!
    :) Deanne xxx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations, Deanne, to you and your lovely daughter.  You are both stars!  Feeling so proud of you - Michelle xxxx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is amazing the difference I feel having experienced this. Seeing hundreds of people giving up their Saturday morning to walk (most of them the full 20 km) and having so many people donate (friends of my daughters, friends of my parents, work colleagues of my husbands, friends and family and even some people we do business with) really helped me to feel that people care and that together we will beat this disease.

People are still donating and my total is up to $3140 now. It was amazing also to feel the support from people driving past us, people we walked past and even from the staff at the cafe where we went to have a coffee and recover! Some ladies got a free ride from the local bus company back to collect their car from Coolum, because the free bus was full! It was great to experience the generous and caring side of people.

:) Deanne xxx