First week of chemo done

Options
AliW
AliW Member Posts: 20
edited June 2014 in Social Groups

had my first FEC chemo on Monday - today is saturday and feeling almost normal.  This week has been awful - i'm sure you will not argue!  The sickness, the weakness, the sadness.  But really the side effects I'd feared are not happening so far - will they happen later I fear?  My mouth is fine, my mind clear, my energy level as much as usual.  Is this the answers to prayer I have pleaded for - or just the start of the journey and it will get worse?!

Comments

• AliW
    AliW Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Lisa - its such a scary thing isn't it - no matter how much we read?  Each one of us is so different.  But reading of people like you getting through it is an encouragement.  Horrible cancer.  Horrible treatment.  But wonderful God, precious Love.  Giving our days a future and a hope..

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had Docetaxel,and even though I was scared witless to begin,I was one of the ladies that found chemo not too bad.For me,the first week after treatment was the worst.Mainly just super tired on and off throughout the day,and some skin rashes,and very bizarre food cravings.The second week wasn't too bad,and even though I stayed away from crowded places,I FELT like going out shopping etc.The last week I felt almost normal.I will say though,as treatments progress,the side effects accumulate,so therefore the tiredness is worse and so on.Getting out and walking every day was what kept me going:)It is the one thing proven to alleviate fatigue.You are doing well,so keep on doing whatever it is you are doing!!!! Cheers xoxRobyn
  • saphire
    saphire Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi I am starting chemo soon so I hope am fortunate with prayer that i have little side effects also.  I think it is the wondering and not knowing what to expect is the worst

• JulieH
    JulieH Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and I was so pleased to find a christian group of ladies here. Of course I have my strong faith in God, but the very human side is, this is a pretty scary road.
    I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma grade 2 on June 20th. I underwent a lumpectomy, and the very next day was involved in a serious car accident. An elderly man rear-ended us which resulted in me needing to be cut out of the wreck. I sustained a fractured c7 vertebra andvfractured sternum. Post operative pathology reports showed that the lymph nodes were clear, however the margins were not. Surgery needed to be delayed for one month due to the fact the fracture in my neck needed to heal sufficiently to safely intubate me. The second surgery was carried out on August 11th. This wednesday I see the oncology professor to formulate my treatment. I have been told chemo will be necessary, followed by radiation and then hormone therapy.

I have no idea what to expect with the chemo and I do understand everyone is different. I hope you won't mind if I ask questions along the way, and maybe some tips too as to how you best got through it, does everyone lose their hair, and can I continue to eat raw fruit throught my treatment. Also any tips on nail care would also be appreciated.

Thanks for having me here, and I look forward to getting to know my pink sisters here. Xo
  • JulieH
    JulieH Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and I was so pleased to find a christian group of ladies here. Of course I have my strong faith in God, but the very human side is, this is a pretty scary road.
    I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma grade 2 on June 20th. I underwent a lumpectomy, and the very next day was involved in a serious car accident. An elderly man rear-ended us which resulted in me needing to be cut out of the wreck. I sustained a fractured c7 vertebra andvfractured sternum. Post operative pathology reports showed that the lymph nodes were clear, however the margins were not. Surgery needed to be delayed for one month due to the fact the fracture in my neck needed to heal sufficiently to safely intubate me. The second surgery was carried out on August 11th. This wednesday I see the oncology professor to formulate my treatment. I have been told chemo will be necessary, followed by radiation and then hormone therapy.

I have no idea what to expect with the chemo and I do understand everyone is different. I hope you won't mind if I ask questions along the way, and maybe some tips too as to how you best got through it, does everyone lose their hair, and can I continue to eat raw fruit throught my treatment. Also any tips on nail care would also be appreciated.

Thanks for having me here, and I look forward to getting to know my pink sisters here. Xo