Nutrition and exercise

Options
Robyn W
Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
edited January 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Helloooo ladies!!! Well yesterday at The LifeHouse Centre in Sydney,I did my nutrition after treatment and my fitness and exercise course.I thought a lot of it was commonsense as far as the nutrition goes,but I did enjoy the fitness one a lot.I don't know if anyone remembers,but a while back,there was a lot of debate on this blog about mushrooms,so I asked the question.All of the information we were given,was evidence based,and the very latest,so the answer is,MUSHROOMS ARE GREAT.Thank goodness! Another thing that I didn't know,was that if you are on Tamoxifen,you should avoid all soy products.Soy interferes with the way that Tamoxifen works.Of course dark green leafy vegetables are great,and the red berries are wonderful.The snap frozen ones have no less nutritional value than the fresh ones,which is good to know,as fresh berries can be expensive! We should all be eating 400 grams of vegies a day(about 2cups)and if you like bread,she said that Burgen wholemeal and seeds,is a good choice.She reminded us of the carcinogens in burnt and chargrilled red meat,and also of the nitrates in preserved meats from the deli.I came home and threw my husband bacon in the bin!!The exercise class was interesting,and they are starting up group classes of 5 sessions,which I am joining.We should be aiming for 5 lots of exercise a week.Ideally 3 times walking,and 2 times weight bearing exercise.For those of us on hormonal therapy,weight bearing exercise is important for the bones.I thought that fast walking is weight bearing,but the exercise physiologist,said not really!When we walk,we should be aiming to get to 30 min(don't forget this is AFTER treatment)and if you can sing when you are walking,you aren't going hard enough,but if you can't talk,then you are going too hard:)I made an appointment with him for next week to learn more about weight bearing exercise,but he told us,that one of the best things to do,is skipping with a rope!Not sure how I would go,but I will give it a try!Jumping with your feet together,and also step ups,are good for this .He talked quite a bit about the more exercise you do,the less tired you will feel.I hope that this might help some ladies who are wondering where to start with exercise after treatment.Hope that you are all doing well today:) Cheers xoxoRobyn

Comments

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

I love bacon, its one of my favorites. I am happy to eat the leafy vegies, love mushroons and red berries, but I want to keep my bacon too....................

Donna

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I found a local butcher who sells organic meats and NITRATE FREE BACON! There might be a butcher in your area who sells it too. :) Deanne xx
  • mgndam1603
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne I'll try that. I am making changes to my life, I don't want to just talk about it but I want to enjoy things too. Bring on the bacon LOL!

Donna

• mgndam1603
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne I'll try that. I am making changes to my life, I don't want to just talk about it but I want to enjoy things too. Bring on the bacon LOL!

Donna

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is great info to help us keep on the right track. I had heard about the soy but forgotten until I read your post, so will be avoiding this in future. Funny you should mention about the skipping, as I was considering this for exercise when I stay with my daughter. I don't like walking by myself in the local area around her apartment so thought I might do some skipping on her balcony!

Thank-you for sharing what you learnt. Will be interested to hear more about ideas for weight-bearing exercise. :) Deanne xxx
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am going to look for a butcher that sells nitrate free.These are really simple but effective changes that we can make aren't they? xoxo Robyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel excited to learn more about the weight bearing stuff too.It is so important!There was a lady at the course who had been doing exercises as she has some osteoporosis,and is also on Tamoxifen.She had tried weights,to strengthen her bones,but damaged her shoulder,and the fellow taking the course reminded us of the importance of having some one to teach you who understands about the effects that cancer treatment can have on the body.Dont just go to a gym and start lifting weights.xoxo
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn,

Thank you for sharing your experience with exercise after treatment and so glad to hear you enjoyed the course you did! 

If  you wanted any more information we also have a booklet on exercise and breast cancer you might like to have a look at too.

Jessica x

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh Robyn! Thanks so much for sharing what you picked up!

Unfortunately I don't have these resources close to me...live just under 2 hours away...so extremely grateful you posted this!

Walking has always been my preferred exercise and had read weight bearing exercises were important after menopause hits! Skipping & step ups sound good..did he mention .anything for upper body? Also would that be 30 min sessions of weight bearing?

Great info re: nutrition too Robyn....thanks again!

Big cyber hug to you....Jen x

• Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes 30 min of weight bearing also.Next Friday,I am having a one hour session with the exercise physiologist at LifeHouse,by myself.You can book 30 min or 60 min and claim most of the cost back on Medicare!I will let you know what I learn,because I am sure that one hour on my own will be so valuable.I have so many questions!!Hope you are doing ok Jen.Cheers Robyn.xoxo
  • Christine Marie
    Christine Marie Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this great information, it sounds like you really enjoyed your courses...I work as a physio assistant in a nursing home & teach all the weight bearing exercises along with balance groups & armchair exercises to all our residents ...it is low key ex as they are old & frail, but they still work..I always say to them if you don't use it,you will loose it, so true...weight bearing exercises are so important for everyone no matter what the age & I really think your going to enjoy your classes...as goes for nitrate free bacon never heard of it, but I'm going to try & find some thanks to Deanne:) Take care & ((hugs)) to you all....Christine :) x
  • Christine Marie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this great information, it sounds like you really enjoyed your courses...I work as a physio assistant in a nursing home & teach all the weight bearing exercises along with balance groups & armchair exercises to all our residents ...it is low key ex as they are old & frail, but they still work..I always say to them if you don't use it,you will loose it, so true...weight bearing exercises are so important for everyone no matter what the age & I really think your going to enjoy your classes...as goes for nitrate free bacon never heard of it, but I'm going to try & find some thanks to Deanne:) Take care & ((hugs)) to you all....Christine :) x
  • Christine Marie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry Just made a boo boo I pressed to many times dam computers lol
  • Christine Marie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry Just made a boo boo I pressed to many times dam computers lol
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it would take a while to work up to 30 minutes of skipping for me. Do they mention the importance of stretching after exercising? I have had a few injuries over the years from not being diligent with stretching after exercising. I imagine warming up would also be important. I think we have to be careful of trying to do too much ourselves without proper supervision and advice. As you have said Robyn, it is important to get advice and support from someone who is experienced with working with women who have had the types of surgeries that we have. This can be hard enough in the city but next to impossible in regional areas, so thank-you for sharing what you are learning. :) Deanne xxx